B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had this problem solved by their
dealer.
Mine stated no solution available, try different gases, same results with all types so far.
Presently have 7000 miles on automatic SE

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
I get it itermittently too! I use 92 octane gas, and there's no way I'm switching. Smells like a car with a heater core problem, but everything checks out o.k.. I dunno- we'll see...

G

·
This has been discussed in a few threads in the past. Try doing a search to see what you come up with. It effects many cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sentra rotten egg smel in exhaust

I work for a Nissan dealership, i am the warranty claims administrator and also a service writer, and unlike most Places i don't ignore peoples needs a have a good knowledge of the problems.
I have the same problem with my car. Every Nissan dealership
has an ASSIST terminal. It is a computer patched into Nissan and has info and Technical Service Bulletins on problems and updated info on how to fix them. There is a Bulletin on ECM reprogramming for the 01 sentra. My delearship has performed it a couple of times, and it resolves the incident. If they tell you it checks out OK, that's bulls**t. They just aren't doing there job.
Im interested to see if they step up and do there jobs.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
rlsr20de...

Nice to see a Nissan person on this board. Welcome. Hope you don't become a focal point for complaints. :eek:

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
burn him at the stake!

j/k ! nice to have another nissan tech on the bb. welcome! (you wouldn't happen to have any extra 2002 se-r rims laying around you want to get rid of, do ya?

:D

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had it but my dealer fixed it for me. All they had to do was reprogram the ECU. Supposedly, it doesn't eliminate it totally, but I haven't smelled it yet!

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
Re: sentra rotten egg smel in exhaust

rlsr20de said:
I work for a Nissan dealership, i am the warranty claims administrator and also a service writer, and unlike most Places i don't ignore peoples needs a have a good knowledge of the problems.
I have the same problem with my car. Every Nissan dealership
has an ASSIST terminal. It is a computer patched into Nissan and has info and Technical Service Bulletins on problems and updated info on how to fix them. There is a Bulletin on ECM reprogramming for the 01 sentra. My delearship has performed it a couple of times, and it resolves the incident. If they tell you it checks out OK, that's bulls**t. They just aren't doing there job.
Im interested to see if they step up and do there jobs.
Any specific knowledge on the 2000's, or build dates/VIN's effected. My Dad (who also works at a Nissan dealership) ran my VIN through, but it came back with nothing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
smell

Running the Vin through is only going to give warrantys performed and recall info, and warranty info. There is no specific vin ranges or anything like that. It is just for people who have the problem, it has seem to work good for resolving the incident. It is the only bulletin on the vehicle for the repair.

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
Happen to have a copy of the TSB or a reference number for it?

·
Registered
35 Posts
the rotten egg smell is from the catalytic converter when you get on the gas hard. My friends 300zx did it until he gutted his cats and it stopped.

·
Time Warp
1,141 Posts
Though I don't have a 2001 SE, I had my ECM reprogrammed too. Supposedly the reprogram was supposed to get rid of the smell and improve gas mileage. Gas mileage went up slightly and the smell went away. Like rlsr20de said, they downloaded the new ECM prog from that ASSIST thing.

BTW I posted a thread about this a while back. If you do a search about gas mileage, you'll find it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm getting pretty fed up with Nissan. I got a 2001 SE w/pp because I had a 92 Sentra, and I loved it. My new car rocks, but it smells (that rotten egg smell) quite a bit actually. I have called 3 different dealers here and they just keep telling me to try different things. One tells me to try different gas stations, higher octane. Another tells me to stick to the same gas station and try lower octane ??? I don't know what to do now... Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just so you guys know, I had the same problem on my 95 Pathfinder, and my friend had the smell on his 95 Hardbody. It was intermittent, and I blamed the cat, but never got it checked out.

·
RWD is teh bomb
2,138 Posts
Um.. you guys must be lucky, because when I had the ECU redone, via the bulletin, NOTHING changed. I still get that nasty sulfur smell all the time. Sucks.. anyone to verify if they have infact redone the ecu somewhere? like a web where you put the vin in or somethin

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
tgenius said:
Um.. you guys must be lucky, because when I had the ECU redone, via the bulletin, NOTHING changed. I still get that nasty sulfur smell all the time. Sucks.. anyone to verify if they have infact redone the ecu somewhere? like a web where you put the vin in or somethin
You'd need to know the revision number of the newest ECU program, and the current version you have. Probably need a expensive scanner for that info.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I accidentally responded to the Feb. 2001 post about this topic about 3 minutes ago.
All the rotten egg smell is, is your car running rich. The cat tries to clean the exhaust and the smell is produced. Simple as that. When they reprogram the ecu, I am guessing they just make it run a little leaner, which would make sense because someone said something about getting better gas milage.
To test it out, thrash your car from one stoplight to the next and see if you smell it. That is when you give it full throttle and it goes rich. There is nothing wrong with the car, some cars just run richer than others. My 92' 240sx does the same thing when I have the cat installed. Without the cat, it has no smell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A few people have asked for the number of the service bulletin to pass on to their mis/un - informed service departments. I had the ECM reprogrammed today, and asked for a copy of the service bulletin. Here it is:
Classification EC01-004
Reference NTB01-014
Date March 1, 2001

Hope this helps.

By the way, just like others have found, the service manager's first reaction was that I was using the wrong (cheap) gas or not using premium. I told him that I'd tried gas from several dealers with no effect, and had tried premium as well (which should make no difference for a "too rich" problem that we have.) I told them to look for the bulletin and voila. For what it's worth - no rotten egg smell on the way home, and I swear my little Sentra's a bit quicker too. Hmm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts