B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this still the suggest instructions/writeup for grounding the knock sensor? :confused: I'm hoping to do it before my AutoX event at Little Talledega this weekend. :D I just wasn't sure if there was a newer/easier way to do it now since this article is kinda old.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/december02/knock_sensor/

·
Boost Addict
3,414 Posts
this is the method I have used on my car and the 10-12 others I have done.

remove the k/s from the block

get a piece of 18ga wire 12-18" long and attach to ring terminals to each end. make sure that each ring terminal is large enough that the stock bolt will pass through it.

attach one end of the wire to the bottom side of the sensor(side that touched the block) use a nut, bolt and washer to secure the terminal to the sensor. wrap sensor with electrical tape.

take other end of wire and use the stock bolt to attach it to the block in the stock location. you will need several washers to make up for the space that was occupied by the k/s.

zip tie k/s to brake lines on fire wall.

this method will allow you to undo the k/s mod in a few minutes.

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
Well, this method should be ok but lots of peoples here, including me, found that having the K/S placed on the firewall would might still heard some strange noise and pull timing back.

So, the "new" method is that one.

1. Remove K/S from block and put bolt back into the block
2. Get a spare bolt/nut/washers that fit the K/S hole
3. Get a 2ft wire loom with o-ring terminal crimp on both side
4. Attach one side of the loom to a grounded bolt
5. Attach the other side of the loom touching the K/S squeeze between your spare bolt/nut/washer. This will maintain the ground for the K/S that is no more touching the block
6. Wrap the K/S will sponge, foam, cotton clothes or anything you find sound insulating and water resistant.
7. Tie wrap the K/S over an A/C line behind the block so it would be in suspension and don't touch anything.

Should do the trick better than the NPM howto ;)

·
Boost Addict
3,414 Posts
angel2167882 said:
Damn cortrim1 beat me to it :p I was talking about the NPM method on my first sentence, not yours cortrim1!

I figured your write up is almost the same as mine. :p

as note there is another method where a resistor is spiced into the harness and the harness is grounded. I don't recomend this because its hard to undo. the other way could be undone on the side of the road if needed(I had to do it once).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Why did you have to undo this on the side of the road???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.