B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 channel amp hooked up in the trunk bridged to push a 10" sub. I love the way it sounds, except that there are times when I am braking that the sub gets distortion. I am new to car audio, but I am assuming this distortion is just electronic noise...the problem is I don't know why applying the brakes would generate noise. I am trying to wait it out, because I am planning on getting an equalizer or a new HU that will allow me to run preamp outputs to the amp...instead of the speaker level inputs that I have now. I am hoping this will help, but if anyone else has some suggestions...please feel free to help.

Thanks,

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
Don't mean to sound dumb, or undermine your troubleshooting skills, but are you ABSOLUTLEY positive that the braking is the culprit? I've heard of windshield wipers, turn signals...causing problems, but never brakes!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Weird - I've never heard of the brakes causing a problem either, which is not to say that the brakes aren't the culprit, but that sounds strange to me. Maybe it's an alternator thing from the engine slowing down?

·
Registered
37 Posts
samo said:
Weird - I've never heard of the brakes causing a problem either, which is not to say that the brakes aren't the culprit, but that sounds strange to me. Maybe it's an alternator thing from the engine slowing down?

i agree i think that it is the alternator you might be drawing to much power and your alternator can not take it you just need to upgrade your alternator, that is if it is the alt.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
About the brakes...It doesn't do it every time that I slow down. I just noticed a couple of times. It doesn't seem to do it as often if I keep it turned down (the radio that is). I never thought of the alternator not having enough BEEF for it. The amp just puts out 300W bridged. I assumed that we had a 100amp alternator in the b15...maybe I should double check. Going by the calculation that Crutchfields says to do to find out if your alternator/battery will have enough juice to power your amp...I should have enough. I will look into it some more. I really haven't had that much time to mess with it. Thanks for the input so far guys...keep it comin'

·
Registered
59 Posts
i dont think there is any possible way your car is drawing too much power. A single amp pushing a 10" sub will not draw more than your alternator. Typically you have to be drawing in excess of 600-800watts + on our smaller cars to begin to see a bad power loss. I am running 400watts with no problems at all, nothing even dims.

Typically you hear engine noise in which case its usually a bad connection like bad ground or rcas being mixed or something like that. I'm assuming you have checked and rechecked all your connections. Possibly trying another ground spot and making sure its a really clean ground. I cant think of anything however that would associate braking with distortion....strange.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are all your wires secure and unexposed? Sounds silly, but when I had my sub temporarily hooked up, the speaker wires dangled and would barely touch when I applied the brakes or made left turns.

Or your ground may be weak and interfering with the third brake light signal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
llaprad1 said:
Are all your wires secure and unexposed? Sounds silly, but when I had my sub temporarily hooked up, the speaker wires dangled and would barely touch when I applied the brakes or made left turns.

Or your ground may be weak and interfering with the third brake light signal.
ooohhh...Now that is interesting. That may just be my problem, because (like I said) it doesn't happen every time I slow down. I didn't have any wire nuts at the time that were small enough to handle the OEM speaker wire, so I just used electrical tape. I planned on going back through and replacing the tape with wire nuts, but I figured I would just wait until I got my other audio equipment. Thanks!!

About the ground...

For those of you who put your amp in the trunk, where did you run your ground wire? I have mine under a bolt securing the backseat to the chassis. Did you scrape away the paint so you had metal vs. metal on your connection? I didn't scape the paint, because I didn't want to hurt my baby (silly...I know). Do you think I need to do that?

One more quick question....

If I get another amp (say a 4 ch. to run my front/rears), and I put it in the trunk with my other one. Can I just put the ground wire for my new amp on top of the ground wire for my old one at the point where it contacts the chassis? Get what I saying? Sorry for all the questions.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
SCRAPE SCRAPE SCRAPE Without a bare metal ground, you're SOL. Power goes from - to +, so you're choking your power supply. Do that, solder all your connections (no wire nuts, please) and then get back to us. The only problem so far is your install.

Sorry to edit, but I'm still laughing about "I did'nt want to hurt my baby". Who looks under bolts to make sure the paint is still there? ROFLMAO:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts