B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Car Noob
2017 VW Golf R
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the JVC KD-SH99 (plays MP3-CDs as well as normal audio CDs) and just followed the usual wiring:

LF, LR, RF, RR, 12+ (memory) 12+ (ignition), black (chassis gnd), and orange (illumination)

For some reason, when I had my Aiwa CDC-MP3 head unit, the sub worked, as well with the OEM system. Of course, I paid someone to do the install. Now that I know how to get into the panels without cracking tabs, I did the JVC myself, and the Sub won't work!

I verified it wasn't blown by installing the OEM HU back, and it worked.

Another question: For some reason, when I leave my headlights off (illumination off), and hit my brakes, and have the left turning signal on simultaniously, the JVC HU dimmer blinks with the turning signal. What's up with that? I thought it was a grounding problem, but I eliminated that possiblity by making sure that the chassis gnd had continuity to the black wire.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, if you cut the factory harness, then you're screwed. But anyways, the reason your sub doesn't work is because you forgot to use the blue/white wire off of your JVC to connect to the amp turn on wire to the factory harness.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
I'll betcha that person you paid so much to install it for you did'nt use a wiring harness. Hope fully they only tapped into the factory harness, and did'nt cut it off. Not very professional...

·
Car Noob
2017 VW Golf R
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wire harness

Nah...I bought the Aiwa and the harness at Best Buy, then had the other guys install it 'cuz Best Buy didn't know when their guys were able to install it for free. >-(

In either case, the Aiwa was installed by the guys I paid, and it worked great (the entire system as a whole anyways... read my ePinion on the Aiwa CDC-MP3 - nad_masters - or just read this: DON'T GET IT!). Sub works, etc.

I am the guilty one who tried to install the JVC myself. It works for the most part, but the sub doesn't. I'm going to try to find those forementioned blue/white wires for the amp. Maybe Nissan DID consider the sub's amp as a real amp. :)

In either case, I'm thinking about replacing the front speakers with a 2-way speaker, and the rears with 3 ways from either Pioneer or Kenwood. Any suggestion on what other brands I should check out?

·
Car Noob
2017 VW Golf R
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blue/White worked!

Hey, Nismo240, thanks! It worked! Still sounds horrible though. :)

Since the front already have tweeters (and I don't plan on using an amp), I think I'm gonna get 2-way speakers for the front, and 3-ways for the back, and keep the sub operating as is unless it interferes with the sound of the new speakers.

Anyone have a solution to the illumination problem? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,879 Posts
Re: Illumination prob?

naddie said:
I know I can just leave the dimmer to just OFF, but it'd be nice if it worked.

Anyways, I was mistaken... it blinks with the headlights/illumination OFF and the brakes and left turn signal ON.

Weird, huh?
I have that same problem. Thought I just had a weird short or something! Is most eveyone experiencing this?

·
Car Noob
2017 VW Golf R
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it hard to do the wiring? Do I have to take off panels and stuff to wire an amp to my speakers? After all, they are all connected directly to the harness, it seems. Either I cut them or I have to run new wires...

That JVC's display is too dim in the daytime... can't see anything! At night, it's brighter than the rest of my gauges and knobs (when the dimmer on the HU is off).

There is just no adjustment for it on the JVC, which sucks.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
its real easy to hook up your speakers..... if your going pre amp then just hook up the wires to the amp and hook up the amp to the head unit via RCA and your set..... if you want to run them off the head unit just replace the speakers and leave the wiring so that it is connected to the harness......

hope this helps

·
Car Noob
2017 VW Golf R
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SDsr20de858 said:
its real easy to hook up your speakers..... if your going pre amp then just hook up the wires to the amp and hook up the amp to the head unit via RCA and your set..... if you want to run them off the head unit just replace the speakers and leave the wiring so that it is connected to the harness......

hope this helps
Thanks, but I already know how to hook it up. The only problem now is how to RUN the wires. :( I hate this part 'cuz I don't know my car well enough to take out panels and such. If I make a mistake, I'd hafta order another panel through Nissan... and no one likes to go back to Nissan dealership's service department (esp. when they ask why...heh).

·
Car Noob
2017 VW Golf R
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SDsr20de858 said:
you can tuck it under the rug on the passenger side...........

take of all the little panels by the door on the floor...... and you will probably have to take the seat belt panel too.....
Cool. But are they screwed down or just snap-ons? And if they are snap-ons, where are the snaps? Pulling them in the wrong places can screw up the panel (stress marks, etc).

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
its kinda weird......... the door linings are snap off....... the cover of the seat belt is the weird part........ its not really a snap off..... you just have to know how to bend the peice to pull it off..... its just the way it was molded to fit, no snaps no bolts.... just pull it off

carefully :D

·
Car Noob
2017 VW Golf R
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just talked to someone about replacing rear speakers and they said to replace the wires at the same time. They claim that the stock wiring brings alot of noise into the signal.

To me that seems kinda wrong, since the wires will be carring speaker-level signals, and that noise should be low enough to NOT affect the speaker-levels.

I can understand if it was for the input of an amp, but this is to the speakers... who's right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
naddie said:
I just talked to someone about replacing rear speakers and they said to replace the wires at the same time. They claim that the stock wiring brings alot of noise into the signal.

To me that seems kinda wrong, since the wires will be carring speaker-level signals, and that noise should be low enough to NOT affect the speaker-levels.

I can understand if it was for the input of an amp, but this is to the speakers... who's right?

Typically speaking, you get very little noise through speaker wire because the voltage going across the wires is AC not DC. Perhaps in building a competition system, you would want new wires. Or if using some type of amplification. I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts