B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anybody else had the "service engine soon" light on? Well, I had mine on for a while today. I read the manual and it seems like it's nothing big as long as it's not blinking. The thing is, I had about 3 quarters tank left, and well, seems like there's nothing wrong with the fuel cap. But well, just seeing if anybody else has this problem, I'll prolly bring it to the dealership in the next few days if it doesn't come off. oh ya, I have a 2001 Sentra GXE.. by the way, I've heard there's lots of problems with Nissan's fuel gauge and so on, even on previous cars.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Yea..take it in. Mine turned out to be the transmission (auto) the light was not blinking. The torque converter was bad. They replaced the tranny. It can be serious. I suspect my case is an unusual one though. If it turns out to be the tranny (is it auto??) try to get them to replace it rather than rebuild it.

Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
778 Posts
mines has been on for a while because of the fact that i have custom headers. so if there really is something wrong with my car, then that light wont help much. just another reason to take care of your ride and maintain it well.

------------------
2000 sentra se
pp, 5spd

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya, mine is AUTO. Man, that sucks if it's the tranny, cuz I only have just over 1000km on it, just broke it in. Did you feel any difference with the shift or anything?, because right now, the car feels EXACTLY the same, the shifts are smooth and so on.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
It shifted really well and when the dealer said it was the tranny I didn't believe him. He first said it was solenoids in the tranny but when he tore into it he found the Converter was bad. I saw it - it was starting to wear. The light came on after 15 miles on the car!!!! I put 500 miles on before the dealer put on a new one. I didn't want them driving the car before it was somewhat broken in.

Look the odds are that you don't have this problem. But like I said- if you do I'd get some miles on it before the dealer works on it. They will probably drive it hard to diagnose or after replacement to make sure it is OK. They put about 70 miles on mine.
I'm real happy with the results.

Later
Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
I noticed you do have miles on the car. Thats good. At least the engines close to broken in - more than mine was.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya... well, I brought it in today, and it turns out to be a stupid thermometer. And they checked the area nissan dealers and none of them have them (I live in Ottawa, ON, Canada), and well, I have to wait two to three days for me to get the car back. I'm pretty pissed off considering I only had the car for 2 weeks, and well, atleast I got a rental car. But I guess I'm very lucky that it's not the tranny or anything serious.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
That's cool. You'd think those dumbasses would just give you the car back and call you when the part came in. Oh well-now you can beat the piss out of their car.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
23 Posts
speaking of indicator lights, has anyone had their seatbelt light flash intermittently on them. mine does every once in a while and it drives me crazy, but i can't really bring it to nissan, because the light would have to be blinking for them to even get the computer on it. and i really don't want to spend all day at the dealership waiting for the light to start flashing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yaa I've head my MIL light on for a while.. I took it to the dealership like 5 times.. and their explanation was that it was a bad fuel flow sensor.. and that I was overfilling the ****er.. Wow.. never knew that could happen. But anyways.. I'm here in North Dakota and I don't think they know what they're doin.. so I'm taking some r&r back home to Chicago and getting a real dealership take a look.... anyways my boys work at the service dept and they'll take good care of my SE....

------------------
2000 Sentra SE, Hotshot CAI (Still waiting like everyone), 5zigen universal with custom stainless steel 2.25 piping from Exhaust Pro (Still waiting also for the part..) and WestCoast Spoilers Bumper and side skirts..(also on order)... Erubuni Rear Skirts..
SSony Xplode CD Reciever X7500
Pioneer TS1655 6 1/2 in front
Pioneer TS1795 6 1/2 in the rear
Pioneer TS w161 6 1/2 midrange speaker (replaced the sub)
Rockford Fosgate RFZ1808 8" Sub with enclosure
and Rockford Fosgate Punxh 800a4 amplifier.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it has been on the whole time, then it CAN'T just be because you filled it up, I mean, unless you TOP UP and basically OVERFILL every drive. If you read the manual, then you should see that it says "after a few drives, it should go off.", or something close to that. If it stays on ALL THE TIME, then you better get some competent service guys to look at it for sure. Mine was a "thermostat", and if I lived in a place with hot weather, then my car could've been screwed big time! Get it checked as soon as possible!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts