B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bet the antisipation has been killing you guys! Well, today my friendly UPS man dropped off the Prototype Stromung Muffler for our cars.

First off, it came very well packaged and protected. Second, it appears to be of very good quality. It's all polished nicely, but I think I'll do some detail work on the tips and rear part of the muffler. The tips have a very "authoritative" look to them.
They look bad ***, without being ricey AT ALL!! I think Solid would be a good word to describe the construction.

Here is a link to the picture of the muffler. The picture wasn't all that good to begin with, so sorry for the less than stellar quality.
http://www.coloradoreading.com/car.htm

Anyways, it all looks excellent. I'll let you know about the sound *hopefully* later tonight.

Yay!

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (On The Way!!)
- Hotshot CAI (At The Coaters.)

[This message has been edited by maxximtl (edited February 13, 2001).]

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
yesssssssssss that's sweet looking!!!!!i'm dancing around yelling I CAN'T WAIT FOR MINE

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gosh, and I thought you were gonna be happy.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (On The Way!!)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
sic looking exhaust, now go and edit that sig max

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*"]http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/darkside_se?d&.intl=us&.flabel=fld1&.src=ph]*myb15*[/URL][/url]

·
Registered
816 Posts
That looks badass!!!! The only thing is that the area where the tips are welded to the muffler looks like it's starting to rust. Are they all gonna come like that?

Did he say when he's gonna make the rest of them? Man, I can't wait.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not rust. It is discoloration from the heat generated by the welding. I took a bit of polish to it, and it removed most of the discoloration. You will notice that the seams have brownish tinge to them. It's hard to see in the photo, but it is just heat discoloration.

Well, I tried to get the muffler installed tonight. However, I ran into a couple problems in getting the stromung piece to fit to the factory pipe (which it was not designed to do.) Anyway, to make a long story short, the factory midpipe flange doesn't appear to be compatible with the aftermarket Stromung piece. So, it might be the weekend before I find out how it sounds. It was 27 degree's out and snowing, so I didn't feel like fiddling with it anymore. hahaha. For now, the stock muffler is back on.

Now for the good news!

The hangers are perfectly aligned. I know everyone was a little skeptical about it, but they are all right where they should be. The tips sit just about flush with the rear bumper cover. They don't stick out at all as far as I could tell.

THe muffler itself is really nice. After spending some time doing some spot polishing, I really got a feel for how nice it is.

Now for some installation notes. This will be one EASY exhaust to install. There are only two connections, and they are very simple to remove. I believe they will both be 14mm. BTW, you will need a deep socket...well, I did anyway. When removing the muffler, take the rubber hangers off the car, and leave them attached to the factory muffler. If you try to just remove the muffler from the hangers, you will end up inventing new language.
Also, soak the hangers with some type of penetrating oil...THEY DO NOT COME OFF EASY!!!! I spent probably 10~15 minutes just wrestling with the rubber hangers.

I did this all on the floor of my garage, with the rear wheels on ramps (be careful if you do that.) The only tools it will require are a rachet and 14mm deep socket. You might also want to put something under the car to support the muffler...it gets heavy after awhile. hehe.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (It's Here!!)

·
Registered
259 Posts
max,

great job on getting a new product out there for the b15's. my compliments to you and stromung for that and for organizing the group deal. i'm sure everyone that participated is greatful as well.

HIP HIP HORRAY

did you also get the b pipe? I was curious how the fitment went.

------------------
MY PAGE

·
Registered
124 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that muffler looks almost exactly like the stock sentra muffler. Good for sound control and a sleeper look, but don't you get more flow from a single outlet?

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SE-R
aim Stea1th727

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2000SE:
max,

great job on getting a new product out there for the b15's. my compliments to you and stromung for that and for organizing the group deal. i'm sure everyone that participated is greatful as well.

HIP HIP HORRAY

did you also get the b pipe? I was curious how the fitment went.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I couldn't agree with 2000SE anymore
thanks maxx and thanks Stromung...Ilove you guys man,,,*sniff* *sniff* ok i'm getting teary eyed now,,,J/K
I'm actually still dancing around saying "I can't wait for mine"

nah but the killer thing is that only the few select people who ordered it will have that exhaust which makes a nice little custom job so to speak...

I'm really glad though the muffler is gonna fit in perfectly with no modification at all...

Maxx,,,How'd the rest(mid-pipe) look does it look like it's gonna come off fairly easy???

Now i have one question for ya is the mid-pipe flange from the Stromung pipe gonna bolt right on the converter without any probs???I'm sure it will but just curious

------------------

CAR:

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

[This message has been edited by Sentra Styling (edited February 14, 2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
97 Se-r - On the 2.5RS the dual outlet made more power than the single outlet. Believe me, it looks NOTHING like the stock unit. I should have taken a picture of both the stock exhaust and the Stromung side by side. The tips are much larger on the Stromung, and sit differently on the car.

The mid-pipe will unbolt with no problem. I bet any one of us could drop the exhaust in less than 30 minutes.

The cat connection should be better than the axle connection. See, Scott never intended the muffler section to bolt up to the stock mid-pipe. That is where I encountered problems.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
30 minute installation cool that means about 15 using air ratchet

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stylin- I doubt you will even need it. The two flange bolts came undone very easily on my car. The hangers were a different story.
My hands still hurt today.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maxx, cool info on the 2.5 RS. My buddy's got on on his daily driver. His road race car is a 91 Sentra SE-R. As the the hangers, why not just use a dremel and cut those bitches off. That's what my friend did when installing his muffler. You're not going to need em anymore, so why wrestle to get them off?

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SE-R
aim Stea1th727

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 97 Black SER:
Maxx, cool info on the 2.5 RS. My buddy's got on on his daily driver. His road race car is a 91 Sentra SE-R. As the the hangers, why not just use a dremel and cut those bitches off. That's what my friend did when installing his muffler. You're not going to need em anymore, so why wrestle to get them off?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I was actually thinking that as well,,cutting it right off cause i remember doing the exhaust on my last car and those damn rubber hangers killed me....
but I use those mechanic gloves now,,,call me a wimp but i've had my share of busting knuckles and scrapping skin off

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

·
Registered
605 Posts
So you installed the muffler onto the stock midpipe?

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, not yet. It wasn't designed to fit to the stock midpipe, and it won't fit without some modification to the flange on the stock piece.

Your exhausts will be slightly different than mine. You will have a larger flange than I do (which is good), but it will only mate up with the stromung midpipe. Because we needed to test fit the muffler on my car, Scott installed a smaller flange on my muffler to match up with the stock midpipe.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, the damn muffler WILL be installed tomorrow. I have an appointment set with a local performance muffler shop. I know they will be able to get the thing on there....temporarily at least. I won't be driving around with it on, but at least will get an idea about the sound, and of course....PICTURES!

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------

·
Registered
747 Posts
can't wait bub!
So your saying that you didn't get the stromung mid pipe?

------------------
2001 Black Sentra SE with Performance Package, JWT pop cone intake, neon ground effects, clear turn signal bulbs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, not yet. I won't get it until you guys get yours. Scott sent me the muffler to double check the hanger locations and stuff. Everything fits fine, but I wanted to at least get some pictures off to you guys, so you could see it on the car first.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, it looks like we will have a minor delay on the exhaust. Aparently, there is a small difference between the GXE and SE exhaust systems at the rear axle joint. It might have to do with the different suspensions between the two cars.

My muffler shop is going to modify the Prototype muffler to fit to the stock mid-pipe. I am then going to send the muffler back to Scott, so that he can change the jig to this specification. Hopefully, this won't add much to the total shipment time. It was just one of those unforescene problems that we couldn't have antisipated. The hanger locations are all perfect, and the muffler shop said it looked sweet on the car (although I didn't get to see it.)

Anyways, my car goes back into the shop on Monday, and I will reship the muffler immediately. I'm gonna try to drive the car briefly before they remove the prototype muffler again so I can at least hear it.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------

1 - 20 of 46 Posts