B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem I am having, which was occuring before I put in the jwt clutch and flywheel, is at times I have a real bad hard start. I'll start the car, it will turn over just fine, but right after start up, the rpm will dip down to circa 400. Also, sometimes if I let it out of gear and let it come to idle, it will also dip down to 400 rpm. If I do downshift or goin slowly around a turn, and the rpm do dip like I said, then the car is really hard to turn, considering the motor powers the power steering. It's a real pain in the buns. I first figured it was the extra vibrations from the motor mount inserts, but it doesnt seem anyone else is having this problem from the inserts. When the rpm dip, the whole engine shakes like crazy. I kind of figured it could be a problem with the catalytic converter or some sort. I know problems with a cat can cause stalling, etc. But the car never actually stalls out. Has anyone else ran into this problem? What did you do? What was the problem? Once again, it is not a problem with the jwt clutch and flywheel, because the problem was happening before and after the install.

Thanks in advance,
Doug

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
C'mon... gimme some help.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump. this problem is bothering me.

·
Southern Shift Racing
2,511 Posts
Did you had the CPS recall done? Also it could be your ECU on the fritz. :( Also, check your battery terminals and make sure they're clean and on the posts nice and snug. People have had strange things happen due to things as simple as the ground wire on the battery not being connected/snug enough.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check that out when I put some pants on and get the sleep outta my eyes. Yes, I did have the recall done.. and I don't think it's an ecu problem, but you never know. Thanks for the input bro.

·
Registered
4 Posts
sounds like it could be a malfunctioning Idle Air Control Valve (IAC)...
if you have a DVOM, check for a short or open in the IAC....
back probe the PCM and check continuity between IAC output signal pin and connector at IAC.
if you have a Snap ON MT2500 or capatible check the IAC counts.. should be around 15-30 at idle
span on MT2500 will allow you to check the iac control by forcing it closed.. .chekcing the minimum airflow.. which should be around 400 RPM at idle
you can force the IAC all the way open that should bring it up to 1100RPMs
good luck

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea what you just said....

=\

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SpecVB15 said:
back probe the PCM and check continuity between IAC output signal pin and connector at IAC.
if you have a Snap ON MT2500 or capatible check the IAC counts.. should be around 15-30 at idle
span on MT2500 will allow you to check the iac control by forcing it closed.. .chekcing the minimum airflow.. which should be around 400 RPM at idle
good luck

Can someone translate this for me...?

·
Back for More
3,766 Posts
specVracing said:
I have no idea what you just said....

=\
Excluding the use of the Snap-on tool, he's telling you to use a Multimeter to check the valve and connection to the valve.

The snap on tool is a scanner. Which, without the cards, runs about 3k.

·
Back for More
3,766 Posts
SpecVB15 said:
good luck
Yeah, lol. :rolleyes:

I know you are trying to be helpful dude, but there may be about 2-5 people on here that have the scanner. I used to have one. Sold it when I got out of the business.

Not too many people will buy a tool for over 3 grand, without being a wrench themselves.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
diwun67 said:
Does your enigne stay idling at 400 rpms or does it just dip down for a second and come back up? When at 400 rpms does it sound like it's running on 3 cylinders?
No it dips... and no.. I dont think it sounds like its on 3 cylinders when it does it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts