B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else notice some rusting on the stock muffler. I see brown spots on my stock muffler and I have only had it for 3 months. I know I should go stromung, but is this normal? I am not entirely sure it is rust because I only saw it today on my way out.

------------------
SR20DE..Sorry Si guys.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I have a little bit of rust on my tail pipe and I have only had my car for 6 days.

------------------
2001 Blackout Se with PP

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
I had some on the tips, went to the dealer and they ordered some replacements. Looks like the tips are not stainless or something.

------------------
2000 Sentra SE performance package (radium)
Sunroof/Leather/Tint/Gas cap holder
SMC Short shifter (not yet installed)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I noticed the same rust on my stock tips as well. Isn't this supposed to be some sort of space-age muffler

Eric

------------------
2001 SE, 5spd, PP

·
Registered
62 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RadiumSE:
...Isn't this supposed to be some sort of space-age muffler

Eric
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By "space-age" you mean advanced in technology and not materials.

On Nissan's website, you'll see that the SE muffler is like the Maxima's muffler offering variable restrictions at different throttle applications. It's pretty cool, check it out.

------------------
911 / 944 / 935 Turbo, F355, F40, early Ferrari's, Z06 Vette, RX7, WRX, Lingenfelter Viper, 300ZX, AC Cobra, GT40, Copo Camaro's, Countach, McLaren F1, '70 Challenger T/A, Parnelli Jones Mustang, any Mustang's up to '69, Eleanor [Gone 60 sec], whatever Carroll Shelby touches...
oh...I'm supposed to list the car I HAVE, not what I would LIKE to have! ;)

·
Registered
841 Posts
I only notice some brown spots along the creases of the tip and muffler.

------------------
"Haters Hate This."
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Registered
58 Posts
I understand... notice the
sarcasm. I guess I was just trying to say that with that kind of effort put into technology that it could have been made not to rust. And if it is going to rust, then why put the effort into putting visible tips on it. On my other cars, the exhaust tips (that ended up rusting) are nicely tucked away from view

Eric

------------------
2001 SE, 5spd, PP

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I noticed a bit of rusting on the tips as well,,,,but who cares I'm getting my Stromung in soon

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yo fellas,

I had the same junk happen on my 2000SE. The chrome tip started rusting. I brought it to the dealer and they put a new one on (after suggesting that I backed into some snow!!!!) Seems like the new one is starting to rust too and only had it for a few weeks. Looks like another POS job nissan did to save money (Just like our paint jobs! see "cheap paint" thread ;-))

------------------
- JC -

2000 Sentra SE 5-spd, Sunroof, in Radium

M

·
0 Posts
After having the stock muffler out of the car, I can tell you there is nothing "space age" about it!

It looks like the dual tips are actually fake. It appears that only 1 side is functional! I thought that was only a Domestic car trick.

It might be a variable capacity muffler, but that doesn't mean that it is efficient.

My particular muffler has several rust spots on it. The tips seem to be the worst, with the area's around the welds a close second.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (It was here, but now it's gone...but it will be back soon!!)
- Hotshot CAI (At The Coaters.)

Click HERE To Visit My Website!

·
Registered
32 Posts
remember that the muffler is part of the emission system and as such is required by government regs. to have a long, long, warrenty on them. (the tips I don't know about).

M

·
0 Posts
Our 1986 Acura Legend had a lifetime warranty on the muffler with no mileage restrictions. I don't think they would replace it just because of surface rust though. It would need to fail completely.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (It was here, but now it's gone...but it will be back soon!!)
- Hotshot CAI (At The Coaters.)

Click HERE To Visit My Website!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
to my knowledge our mufflers are the same as the G20's with a valve that opens at specific rpms

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maxximtl:
After having the stock muffler out of the car, I can tell you there is nothing "space age" about it!

It looks like the dual tips are actually fake. It appears that only 1 side is functional! I thought that was only a Domestic car trick.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have noticed this also I was just thinking it was my car or something....I haven't really been able to refference it with other sentra's in my area cause everytime i see one they are a gxe.....

------------------

CAR:

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

·
Registered
841 Posts
I was wrong. After looking at it today...my muffler is more than just rusted on the tip or creases. It's all over the place...looks like the tip's lip is going to come off anytime soon cuz it has like a space gap and looks nasty. You think "MOTHERS alloy shine" will take care of this?

------------------
"Haters Hate This."
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Registered
89 Posts
jeez when I brought mine to the dealer to have the chrome tips replaced for rust they said "there's no way that should be there" (in reference to the rust). So I'm really surprised that everyone is having this prob. I again thoguht it was just my bad luck, which unfortunately I've had a lot of with this car. Anyone else get theirs replaced by the dealer?

------------------
- JC -

2000 Sentra SE 5-spd, Sunroof, in Radium

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
ChinoTooNice: I wonder too...I'll try something. And yea its a little thing. But it does stand out. Mine's starting to rust a little. I may also go to the dealer.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans
Car partly remanufactured
(Sarcastic comment)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChinoTooNice:
I was wrong. After looking at it today...my muffler is more than just rusted on the tip or creases. It's all over the place...looks like the tip's lip is going to come off anytime soon cuz it has like a space gap and looks nasty. You think "MOTHERS alloy shine" will take care of this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Chino bro,,,,,I have mentioned using steel wool before,,,go to a home store like Home Depot or something like that or a hardware store and go to the aisle with the steel wool and grab a bag of steel wool that has 0000 grade on it,,,,,it's really fine and non-abrasive but it's really goos for something like this,,,,pick up some good chrome cleaner and rub the cleaner on with the steel wool and spray it off then use a wax like mothers after.....it should work,,,i used to use this method on my lowrider truck's rims(chrome)....

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
ChinoTooNice, Sentrastyling. I read in one of my cleaning books to use aluminum foil on chrome for rust. Haven't tried it yet, but I will. Just a thought.

Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans
Car partly remanufactured
(Sarcastic comment)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts