B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen somewhere on some other site that the B15 has a resonator built into the stock intake that keeps the noise down and also restricts air flow. They mentioned the resonator was somewhere behind the front bumper in front of the left wheel well. Is this true and if it is can someone provide a decent set of instructions on how to remove it.

P.S. And ripping it out does not qualify has a decent set of instructions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, it is restrictive and easy to remove. It is located behind the plastic splash sheild on the driver's side. You have to remove the inlet of the resonator,it simply pulls out of it(carefully). Remove the left front wheel, the plastic sheild. Then remove the 3 10mm bolts that hold it to the body,remove the resonator. You'll then need to relocate the sensor that's before the airbox. Simply drill a hole in the airbox inlet the same size and move the gromet and the sensor to the new hole. It sounds agressive and increases the opening of the inlet. I don't know if you have factory foglights, but if you don't, you could run a peice of flexable tube to the foglight hole to make it ramair. Be careful of heavy rain though. I hope this helps. Bryan

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it possible to remove by just going up under the front bumper in front of the wheel without removing the wheel well plastic or bumper?

·
Rise from your grave
617 Posts
lijvennie said:
Is it possible to remove by just going up under the front bumper in front of the wheel without removing the wheel well plastic or bumper?
no you cant. you have to follow what i said above. just loosen the bumper, not remove. you don't have to remove the wheel which helps since you don't need a jack, but it is easier that way.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fc nut said:
Yes, it is restrictive and easy to remove. It is located behind the plastic splash sheild on the driver's side. You have to remove the inlet of the resonator,it simply pulls out of it(carefully). Remove the left front wheel, the plastic sheild. Then remove the 3 10mm bolts that hold it to the body,remove the resonator. You'll then need to relocate the sensor that's before the airbox. Simply drill a hole in the airbox inlet the same size and move the gromet and the sensor to the new hole. It sounds agressive and increases the opening of the inlet. I don't know if you have factory foglights, but if you don't, you could run a peice of flexable tube to the foglight hole to make it ramair. Be careful of heavy rain though. I hope this helps. Bryan
Exactly what sensor were you talking about cause I would prefer not to see a check engine light after something simple as this.

·
Registered
374 Posts
lijvennie said:
Exactly what sensor were you talking about cause I would prefer not to see a check engine light after something simple as this.
Sensor is located almost at the end of the intake u will see it

·
Its JDM Yo!
337 Posts
not sure which model you have, but for me the sensor was located in the engine bay. you do not have to loosen the bumper to remove it, jsut bend the splash guard back and try not to brake to many plastic clips.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have an 2002 gxe and just ripped it out 2 days ago, sensor on inlet pipe just before filter box...2 bolts holding it in. loosen driver front wheel well cover and u'll c the bolt. i used a long extension "wobble" or u could use a universal socket etc...the other is behind the fog light, same thing loosen the splash guard and u'll c the bolt. makes a noticeable difference and sounds louder 4 sure. also there is a small sound box rivetted to the air filter box i took out as well and closed the hole.

·
Registered
26 Posts
you just need to jack up the car you don't need to remove the entire wheel just turn it all the way to the left before you lift it up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How much louder is it when removed? I'm debating removing it so I can run the flexible tube to the foglight hole (no foglights), but if it's a good deal louder I don't know if I will.

Any noticeable difference in throttle response?

·
Its JDM Yo!
337 Posts
sspeed said:
How much louder is it when removed? I'm debating removing it so I can run the flexible tube to the foglight hole (no foglights), but if it's a good deal louder I don't know if I will.

Any noticeable difference in throttle response?

it might be annoying at 84 on the freeway lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
der said:
it might be annoying at 84 on the freeway lol.
That bad huh? I doubt it would show much on the dyno, the biggest thing will be improved throttle response and cooler air, not much that would show on a dyno....

·
Registered
136 Posts
i removed mine today and plan on plumbing the intake down through the fog light hole, i can tell already a HUGE difference in sound over 3/4 throttle and it is a tad more responsive, fairly simple to do, i'll post pics when i get it plumbed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does anyone have one of the stock resonators sitting around that they'd send me for the price of shipping? I have a little experiment in mind...

·
Informed Lurker
2,453 Posts
its literally a U bend into a box to keep it quiet. i have one here and it looks horrible in terms of flow. i will take a couple pics for you in a minute.

the intake side of the resonator has no restriction into the box, the exhaust part of the box that goes into the maf piping has the restriction with that little hole for the air to flow through. its pretty bad.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts