B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...heres what I dont get. All you folks with the steering knock...I have the same thing, BTW, are getting your cars repaired under warranty. Warranty is great for swapping parts, its quick and easy and the best way when its free. However, for the folks like me w/ 37000 miles, just out of warranty....theres got to be a better way to solve this steering knock.

What is actually wrong with the rack? I know a little bit about rack and pinion, not a lot, but the basics. The way I understand it, your steering wheel is connected to a pinion (gear) and that gear rolls around as you turn the wheel. The gear rolling pushes the rack back and forth, because the rack has teeth on it. That is the basics of it. Obviously you have the hydraulic stuff going on too which adds complexities.

So with that in mind and all the hydraulic stuff too, what is actually going on in there to cause the knock. Are the teeth slipping/stripped? Is there a part in there thats just worn?

I was quoted between 1500 and 2000 dollars to install a new steering rack. I mean, I like my car, although its still growing on me and has a lot of proving itself to me yet to do, but its just not work the money to fix this car. I bought the car for 8g's. Sinking another 2gs into it would be foolish. But I am willing to jack it up, and roll up my sleeves and look around for loose things up in there. There just has to be a root problem that is cheaper to fix. If you have warranty, replacing the whole damn thing is smart. But for folks like me, just out of warranty, is there another fix, perhaps for the problem other than "jacking up the radiator cap, driving a new car under it and screwing it back on?". AKA, replacing the steering rack.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
1500$ for a steering rack... I heard it was 750 $ canadian...so around 550$ US...

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
I think they quote 4 or 5 hours to install a new rack. Not sure, though.

What was wrong on my car was that the joint between the rack and the inner tie rod on the driver side was faulty. This gave the tie rod slack; the tie rod would move in and out of the rack when it should not.

·
TV owns my soul
1,268 Posts
Bryris said:
OK...heres what I dont get. All you folks with the steering knock...I have the same thing, BTW, are getting your cars repaired under warranty. Warranty is great for swapping parts, its quick and easy and the best way when its free. However, for the folks like me w/ 37000 miles, just out of warranty....theres got to be a better way to solve this steering knock.

What is actually wrong with the rack? I know a little bit about rack and pinion, not a lot, but the basics. The way I understand it, your steering wheel is connected to a pinion (gear) and that gear rolls around as you turn the wheel. The gear rolling pushes the rack back and forth, because the rack has teeth on it. That is the basics of it. Obviously you have the hydraulic stuff going on too which adds complexities.

So with that in mind and all the hydraulic stuff too, what is actually going on in there to cause the knock. Are the teeth slipping/stripped? Is there a part in there thats just worn?

I was quoted between 1500 and 2000 dollars to install a new steering rack. I mean, I like my car, although its still growing on me and has a lot of proving itself to me yet to do, but its just not work the money to fix this car. I bought the car for 8g's. Sinking another 2gs into it would be foolish. But I am willing to jack it up, and roll up my sleeves and look around for loose things up in there. There just has to be a root problem that is cheaper to fix. If you have warranty, replacing the whole damn thing is smart. But for folks like me, just out of warranty, is there another fix, perhaps for the problem other than "jacking up the radiator cap, driving a new car under it and screwing it back on?". AKA, replacing the steering rack.

Thanks.
I understand that 1500 is a lot of money... but if that's the only way out, why is it "foolish"? So you spent only 8G's... sounds like you paid a nice low price for the car. But then again, I don't know what the car looks like or what year...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the car drives well and the steering feels tight. Its just a knock....and it only happens when turning sharply to the right. I am on college and trying to pay for a lot of things. If my car wasn't drivable, it'd be smart. Not a smart thing for me to have that done.....I dont believe its the only way out.

·
2busy4b15/but watch it
11,651 Posts
my old cars one did the same thing.. i had it from 30000 miles.. and it got to 70k.. i wouldnt worry about it too much.. i found that it was only occuring when the wheel was at full tilt.. try easing it off a bit from full tilt.

·
TV owns my soul
1,268 Posts
huh... I had this knocking sound from the front driver's side in my '89 Maxima. It happened under right hand turns where the suspension made any vertical movement. It would only happen once per turn, and it didn't happen every single time, but it was easily repeatable, cause it happened a lot around certain corners. We had had the rack replaced several years earlier, so that wasn't out first assumption. Can't remember for perfectly clear, but I remeber that there was some socket joint in the front driver's side suspension that was worn. Under certain pressures, it slipped intead of moving smoothly. That's what was causing my sound...

·
Southern Shift Racing
2,511 Posts
I'm not convinced its the steering rack. If it was a true rack problem you would be having knocking all the time and the rack itself would make noise when going over bumps and such. A friend and I are suspicious that it maybe due to Nissan under lubricating the bushings and tie-rod ends. I think someone, can't remember their name, posted a similar idea.
This weekend I am going to be doing some work on my car and while I am under the car I am going to use chassis lube on all the major joints/bushings and see if this gets rid of the knock. Even if it is a temporary fix....say if I have to relube the parts every month or so it will be worth it to get rid of that annoying ocassional knock.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
I get a knock sound sometimes when I'm stopped and I turn the wheel to parallel park.

It's not so bad, and only recently.

I got into a friend's brand new SE-R and it does the same thing, only a lot louder...

Is this the same thing?

·
TV owns my soul
1,268 Posts
you talking about when you turn the wheel as far aa it can go? and you hear a nosie as the steering wheel stops turning?

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
GoodbyeMax said:
you talking about when you turn the wheel as far aa it can go? and you hear a nosie as the steering wheel stops turning?
not really, just moving the wheel left and right at a stop, not necessarily all the way. and it's not an every time type of thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts