B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all.

I have a 2003 Sentra GXE 1.8l w/5-speed manual transmission. This car is NOT equipped with an ABS breaking system.

Here's what my "problem" is. If I am driving on a snow/ice covered road and I apply my brakes hard enough to slide on the ice/snow, my engine will stall after about 2 seconds of sliding (maybe even quicker than that sometimes, like 1.5 seconds). This stalling when sliding problem has occurred ever since I owned this car. This nothing new. I bought this car brand new in 2003.

Not only does it seem that it takes very little pressure on the brake pedal to start sliding, but my main concern is that it stalls out...and so quickly at that. .

Mind you, over a decade ago, I owned a 1990? Nissan Sentra 4-speed manual w/no ABS and it did not stall out when sliding on ice.

So my question/concern is, is this normal for some standard shift cars to stall out after a couple seconds of sliding on snow/ice? If not, what could be causing this? And is this not potentially dangerous? I mean, when it stalls, I have no power steering. Additionally, I don't believe that I can even restart the car until I have come to a stop (but don't quote me on this, I am only about 75% sure of this). Seems like this could, under certain situations where higher speeds are concerned, make for a very dangerous and potentially fatal situation.

So far, this has never happened to me at high speeds as I avoid driving this car in terrible conditions. This is the worst car I have ever had in terms of drivability and maneuverability in bad weather and I have tried snow tires, snow ice/tires and regular all-seasons. They are all the same on this car. I have never tried studded tires on this car, but I might this year.

I have only encountered this issue when I do a "road test" when the weather turns bad, but I only ever do this at a low speed, like maybe 7-15 MPH tops.

Thanks for reading and I eagerly wait your responses!

· Registered
2,679 Posts
your 2003 sentra comes with efi and is drive-by-wire, it shouldnt stall out on you. i mean you are taking it out of gear, or pressing the clutch pedal when you are sliding yes? without abs, the wheels will lock up, if its in gear, the gear will stop/stall the motor. to me it sounds like your locking up and not pressing the clutch pedal, as pressing the brake until the wheels lock will stall if youre in gear. it seems partial due to not having abs, as the abs would keep the wheels turning slightly.

assuming its not driver error, you should check your brake fluid level, make sure its full with fluid. have you changed your cam & crank sensors recently, those could cause stalls/misfires or poor driving conditions. also, any evap component could cause a vacuum issue and let the car stall out, possibly when you drop the rev, it may just stall. does it just stall say if your driving at 3000rpm and just press the clutch and watch the rev drop? its possible your idle maybe out, and its not catching idle when the rev drops too fast.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your 2003 sentra comes with efi and is drive-by-wire, it shouldnt stall out on you. i mean you are taking it out of gear, or pressing the clutch pedal when you are sliding yes? without abs, the wheels will lock up, if its in gear, the gear will stop/stall the motor. to me it sounds like your locking up and not pressing the clutch pedal, as pressing the brake until the wheels lock will stall if youre in gear. it seems partial due to not having abs, as the abs would keep the wheels turning slightly.
Thanks for responding. 1st off, everything in your 2nd paragraph is irrelevant so we will get that out of the way off the bat.

What it comes down to is that you are right, my car stalls when sliding only if I fail to push in the clutch pedal and where-by disengaging the drive. However, I tested it tonight and found that it can often be a second or less after sliding starts that the car stalls, giving me very little time to press the clutch pedal or otherwise disengage the drive. After thinking about it, I believe that this is normal. The car should stall if wheels are not turning and that is very unsafe.

So this is the deciding factor on my next car - standard or automatic. I will never get a standard shift again. There are too many downfalls of a standard to justify the minor increase in gas mileage and decreased break pad wear (assuming you down-shift appropriately).

BTW, as far as brakes locking up fast, you're correct again. This car's brakes have locked up under any conditions way to easily. For is, and many other cases, the most unsafe car I have owned, especially with the junk stock tires it came with. I swear they slipped ion dry cement roads...lol.

I love the reliability the Sentra gives, but this is definitely my 3rd and final Sentra. All the negatives far outweigh the positives.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.