B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a somewhat stupid question...I recently bought some new parts for my car and two of them is the Nismo cat-back exhaust and HotShot header. As you probably already know, I'm going to be welding a bung into the exhaust for the 2nd O2 sensor. My question...is there any problem with welding that steel bung into T-304 stainless steel? I have mechanic friend that's going to help me install these parts, but someone told me that it's not going to work well welding into SS. Will someone who has already done this tell me if it's actually going to be a problem or if we'll be able to weld it just fine without any issues.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also, to get some more info, called two different muffler shops today and asked them about it and they both gave me different answers. One said they wouldn't do it because it was stainless, and the other told me they would. So that just added to my confusion. :confused:

·
Banned
343 Posts
some people won't do it cause its like welding aluminum, a pain in the ***, they don't want the hassle for the $20 or so bucks they would charge. others don't care and will do anything. just make sure you inspect the welds before they bring it off the lift

·
oil leaks blow
2,389 Posts
On SS or aluminum, the weld should look like a roll of coins layed out.
sort of like this---> )))))))))))))))))))

Any good welder should have no problem welding SS. But there are many people who don't know how to weld on SS and it looks like shlt. But you can't see it, so who really cares as long as it doesn't leak or break.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, does any special welding equipment or instructions apply? Or is it just like welding anything else? I'm sure the guy who's welding it will know, but I was just wondering myself.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Austenitic stainless steels (which 305 happens to be) and carbon steel may be joined with no adverse effects (bi-metalic corrosion, embrittlement, ect.)

It's not all that hard to weld either...just beware that most muffler shop "welders" work at a muffler shop for a reason. If they were half as good as they claim, they'd work at a shipyard or powerplant and make 4-5 times what they make now.

Make sure they clean off any slag and that you can't see any daylight through it and it'll be fine.

·
Back for More
3,766 Posts
SE R SpecV OmSi said:
lol ok im going to a welder and asking for parenthesis layed out welds ;) haha
Any good weld should look like fish scales.

·
You guys are dangerous
837 Posts
braap said:
Austenitic stainless steels (which 305 happens to be) and carbon steel may be joined with no adverse effects (bi-metalic corrosion, embrittlement, ect.)

It's not all that hard to weld either...just beware that most muffler shop "welders" work at a muffler shop for a reason. If they were half as good as they claim, they'd work at a shipyard or powerplant and make 4-5 times what they make now.
Exactly. Although I would suggest paying a bit more and taking it to a welding shop, not a muffler shop.

Some of the replies in this thread blow my mind at how people try to give out info about something they know nothing about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts