B15 Sentra Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can clearly see that there is still confusion going on with the "other" thread.Everything from what turbo will be used, to who made the kit, to the pistons have detonation because someone rubbed the carbon deposits off of the top of them!

SSR subcontracted SFR(Speed Force Racing)which is the company that myself and my partner, Kieth Ta, own. We do alot of fabrication and sell kits and custom built parts to many, many shops around the country(Spugen, R&R Racing, JME, Huntley Racing, to name a few). SSR contacted us since they know what we do and what we could do for them. They wanted to build a turbo kit for the B15.We decided to go ahead with this project since we would probably never have done it for the Spec-v otherwise. So this kit is the SSR kit. Albert (the owner of SSR) is actually pretty smart to sub-contract another company to build their kit because they are assured of getting a top qaulity product available for a reasonable price.This will allow them to focus on what they do best which is marketing and customer support without having to worry about all the other complications of dsigning a turbo system for a car it was never meant to be on.They are also assured of having a company who has experience in tuning, fabrication, engine rebuilding, etc........overseeing the project to its completetion.Afterall, wouldnt you want someone that built an 1100 horsepower Supra that appeared in Popular Science Magazine build your kit?

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/auto/article/0,12543,423014,00.html

Then have someone build it who works out of their garage with limited experience? I know who I would want building my kit.So now that this is cleared up......onto bigger and better things.......

Import Lab. They are right next door to us. Nick the owner of Import Lab is a friend of mine. He had no part in any of this project until I asked him to give me some ideas on how to work around the weak rods of the QR motor. I know he is a Nissan Guru and they do alot of SR20s and so forth and are very familiar with the weaknesses in the QR motor.Once the motor was disassembled, Nick decided to get an opinon from Jim Wolf. This is how Jim Wolf showed up into this malay.Jim Wolf was only contacted for information.They are not rebuilding the motor,they are not building the turbo kit.They are not doing anything except for providing some opionions.I guess the most important opinion of theirs is that the motor blew because of a rod failure.It did not blow from detonation,It did not blow becasue the compressor is to big(for godssake I have been using TO4Bs on 2.5L four banger Porsches for over 7 years). It did not blow from oil starvation or any other thing besides a rod failure. End of story.......Ok, well at least then end of how Import Lab and Jim Wolf got tied up into this mess.

So now onto the picture(that I took) that Mr. Nice Guy posted. Mr. Nice Guy......you are unbeleivable! I just realized how much you really know with one statement that you made! LOL. You think that the carbon deposits that were rubbed off(By Nick from Import Lab) of the top of the pistons is detonation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL. You really have no clue.I suppose you looked at the other picture too. Right? This picture was taken because the carbon deposits were left as is.

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Img_0498.jpg

There is no signs of detonation on any of the pistons.If anybody has any doubts they can come see for theirselves and report back to the list.Please dont listen to hearsay from someone that doesnt know what the hell he is talking about. Now I will say that all the pictures did not come out as well as they could have becasue I was a little too close.I will take some new pictures soon.Here is a picture of the catastrophic rod failure.

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Img_0494.jpg

Now onto the final thing I wanted to address......turbo sizing.Turbo sizing is fine for this car.You will not blow-up a motor because of the size of the compressor!!!!!!!!! Whoever said this or even thought this is ludicrous! the fact is that the smaller the compressor, the higher the charge air temps will be.This is basic thermodynamics 101.A larger compressor will (a TO4B for example) can have a charge air temp which is about 100F cooler then a T-3 running at the same boost levels.The T04b will move more cfm then the T-3, the TO4B will make more poower then the T3. Boost pressure is what will destroy an engine more then anything, especially if you dont have sufficient octane rating to fight off detonation.This is why we went with the turbo we did!!!!!!!We would rather run less boost and make more power then run more boost and make less power.I have determined that this is the best approach with all my years of experience.This is the way we approach all of the turbo kits we do.We want to run the least amount of boost possible to make the power we are looking for.It is that simple.If other guys want to run 8 psi or so to make the same power we do at 5 or 6 psi, that is fine.That is there perogative and they can deal with being on the ragged edge of detonation.We choose to stay far away from this ragged edge.This is why the kits that we build and the cars that we turbocharged usually last a long time without problems or failures.Now the QR is the exception.I knew going into this project that the rods were weak.I knew that they would fail about 250 to the wheels.Well I guess we were so close, a rod let go.The funny thing is that this was unavoidable! The first run of the day was 242 to the wheels. No tuning, nothing. Ofcourse we did keep it conservative with a rich mixture of 10 to 1(for the most part)right off the bat.By the time we made a few more runs to get the whole tuning process going(messing with fuel pressure,tunng the lap top programmable fuel controller,etc...), the motor was done.Now there is a video of the Sentra on the dyno screamng to redline.You can clearly hear that there is no detonation, there is no misses, the motor doesnt even skip a beat!

This kit will be de-tuned to deliver about 235-240 at the wheels with a proper air/fuel mixture. We expect to run about 4.5 to 5 psi to get these numbers.We will shoot for an 11.8 to 1 mixture to stay on the safe side.We will continue to use the same turbo because it is still in its efficincy range.Remember that there is a pressure drop through the piping and intercooler and the 5 psi in the intake manifold is not what is coming out of the turbo.What is coming out of the turbo is about 8-9 psi or so which is well in the efficincy range of the compressor wheel we are using!

In conclusion......the kit that was buit, was built for SSR. Please do not call us to buy a kit. Call SSR. They are handling the tech support, ordering, etc........ They can answer your questions and they can take care of you. Albert is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet and he is true to his word. Another thing you can can count on is a timely delivery of your qaulity product and a full one year warranty on all parts. You get what you pay for! Finally......if I see people bashing the SSR turbo kit, I will chime in and defend SSR.To me it is like SFR(Speed Force Racing) is getting slapped in the face. We wont stand for it.We only sell the best products and just about everything is made in-house by us. For someone to question our approach, make deragatory comments, etc... without seeing the product with their own eyes...... will force me to respond everytime.Take care.

Tim

·
Designated Drinker
2,416 Posts
pretty difinitive post there....that should clear up alot of the confusion that was going on....

im sure alot of people will be more willing to ask more indepth quesions now that you are responding insteead of the "public relations" part of the project.

good luck

·
3.5 PWN3S JOOH!
1,073 Posts
dude, keep doing what your doing. these boards will complain no matter what you do. even if you gauranteed the rods not to fail with the 1 yr warranty....they'd still b1tch if they broke.

i say if your worried about your bottom end. build it before you boost!

my opinion to SFR & SSR is not to get involved with forum bickering and take the negative remarks with a grain of salt.
Hotshot comes on here alot to defend themselves and they end up making an @$$ of themselves 9 times out of 10 because the guys on these boards are proffesional content twisters and will dig up something you said 3 yrs ago and hod it against you!
it's cool to state your fact and opinion. just keep it cool and don't get emotionally involved, threatening people and calling people names and whatnot....all you do is lose credibility with everyone then.

·
NG Autoworks
7,504 Posts
masterofturbos said:
Mr. Nice Guy......you are unbeleivable! I just realized how much you really know with one statement that you made! LOL. You think that the carbon deposits that were rubbed off(By Nick from Import Lab) of the top of the pistons is detonation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL. You really have no clue.I suppose you looked at the other picture too. Right? This picture was taken because the carbon deposits were left as is.

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Img_0498.jpg

Tim
Tim,

You continue to try to put others down to rub some of the fault off your back. That's fine and all. But I'm sure you've seen detonation on a piston before, it looks like the piston in the picture. Any savy car tuner that has any experience, who didn't know the background of that piston, would've said it looks exactly like detonation.

If I would've KNOWN that somebody rubbed the carbon deposits off, I wouldn't have said it looked like detonation, would I?

When SSR showed me that picture over instant message, he said that it WAS detonation, and it wasn't due to the turbo, but he blamed it on the nitrous and bolt ons that the owner of the car had BEFORE you guys started working on the car.

Furthermore, it really doesn't look like anyone rubbed anything off the top of that piston. Why is the "rubbing" sporatically spread around the top of the piston? Stop trying to make me look bad just b/c you are trying to deny something.

Also, like I said in my PM, if you threaten me once more, you'll have hell breathing down the back of your neck.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
Steve-O

·
Random White Guy
1,245 Posts
wow a double posted thread...trying to save SSR's *** again...im sick of people havin to "SAVE" each other...no one cares...make a kit maybe we will buy it, and maybe we wont...stop the bulls.hit

Give us the details, prices, and #'s and honestly i dont care who makes it...if its a reasonable price and works.....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Alright

Honestly, an engine blew, thats the end of the story, **** happens, why does everyone make a huge deal over it. Hopefully they'll figure out what caused the problem exactly and fix it so it doesn't happen again. Maybe some people should look at this in a way that will benefit further turbo kit development so this kind of thing doesn't happen again, seriously, I don't see what the big deal is, I had a rod bearing seize up on my engine with only an intake and exhaust, it's no big suprise that engine failure occured on a turbo application, **** happens, people blow engines for different reasons. Realize what caused the problem and fix it so it doesn't happen again.
THis bickering pisses me off, because in the end it holds off further development of better things...

·
Random White Guy
1,245 Posts
yea....wut he said... PUNK, I PITTY DA FOOL....ARF ARF

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.