B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again, yell "SEARCH" if I'm outta line. Now, I'm an engine retard, but I found a picture of a nice-looking SR20DET, and had a question about it.

My question is, is it possible to use parts from this engine on ours (upgrade to "T" without swapping entire engine), and what would be the cost to do so?

Also, what kind of stress would a DET or aftermarket turbo upgrade put on our engine?

G

·
It can be done. They did that on the SEMA car. They used the DET manifold, turbo, pistons and the oil squirters to upgrade the DE to DET. However, it would probably just be easier to swap in a DET. You really need to do some research on this topic though. There are A LOT of problems with turbocharging the B15. Who ever does it is going to be doing a lot of work, and spending a lot of money (regardless of what 2k1dragsentra says.) :D Search this site for some past discussions.

·
Registered
778 Posts
these are two big reasons to go DET rather than turbo

1. sr20de = WRONG COMPRESSION!
2. you have two motors now :D
oh yah...i forgot. you get a shiney red valve cover.

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
What car is that DET in? I ask because look at where they have the intercooler at! I have never seen that. Very intersting.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
AZ_2K_SE said:
What car is that DET in? I ask because look at where they have the intercooler at! I have never seen that. Very intersting.
glad you pointed that out that is very interesting...

·
Registered
228 Posts
sr20reNaISSANce said:
these are two big reasons to go DET rather than turbo

1. sr20de = WRONG COMPRESSION!
2. you have two motors now :D
oh yah...i forgot. you get a shiney red valve cover.
Dude... Higher compression:

Pros:
1. Quicker turbo spool
2. Less lag(b/c of #1)
3. More power, less boost.

Cons:
1. Limit to amount of boost you can run.

You do the math. Its all personal opinion... "Speed cost money... How fast do you wanna go?"

Later!

·
Registered
53 Posts
IIRC the exhaust manifold of a rear-wheel drive DET (like the one pictured) does not work on a transverse-mounted front driver.

The parts you get must be from a BB DET or a GTI-R DET. Not a Silvia (or 240SX) DET.

How do the Honda boys do it without ECU? Do they just run really damn rich and hope for the best?

DId anyone else notice the Turbod MR2 in SCC. 10.5:1 (or something like that) with a turbo. Damn that's high!

·
I hide the bodies...
523 Posts
OK, here's what we do. Go out and buy a 1997 SR20DE w/ECU and drop into our cars. Then we buy the JWT ECU and turbo kit. Come emissions time we put the 97 SR20DE back the way it was with the needed emissions stuff. If the 2k has emissions stuff the 97 does not, then you set up some fake stuff so it passes visual. Unless they hook stuff into your electrical (I don't know if they do because all my cars have been ancient) system, you should pass. Expensive and labor intensive? Yes. At least you have a spare engine w/low mileage to turn to if you blow up your other engine. I want to say that I am SEMI-serious about this idea. I'm REALLY getting frustrated with the forced induction wait. :eek: :mad: :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts