B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well in some way yes. Beware that most car that uses DET engine are rear wheel drive so they might not fit on our car. But I'm sure the one for the front wheel drive should bolt right on to our car. However, you will also need to upgrade other parts of the car as well such as the ECU. You will also need a new clutch and stuff.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The SR20DET is the same engine as ours with Turbo.

the one your looking for is the n13/n14 SR20DET. The pther ones are rear wheel, the n13/4's are front.

It should bolt on, but yes you will need some new things, clutch is one of them and maybe a new tranny, but Im not sure about that.

From what I heard the SR20DET would be worth something like 230-250 HP in our cars, now thats power.

Im thinking of doing either that or a tubro kit... probably next year.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Either one is the way to go

Whicheve one you chose, it will be a good choice regardless. You can get a sr20det(w/ECu and Tranny) for around $1600-2500 dollars depending on mileage, etc. And you can get an aftermarket front-mount intercooler kit with computer for around $4000. If you don't do the swap of the sr20det yourself then it will be a good more amount of money for a shop to do it for you....

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
a little pricey there 2k. i did a price search many times already and with a 97 ecu, sr20det and goodies should run about $3k total, and that's a little padded and includes everything.

you can turbo the sr20de (2k+) for around $2600, including intake/exhaust mainfold, turbo, custom piping, new clutch, retofit 97 ecu, etc, etc...

however, if you only want minimal downtime you could pick up a 97 sr20de for around $400, ecu from boneyard, then build it up with a turbo kit from the gti-r or bluebird. there would be less rush and you can take the time to do it right since you're not without a car.

if you wanted to go all out, you could do the cams, run 300zx piston for lower compression(which interprets to more psi of boost) and increased displacement(punching out the block a tiny bit), 370cc injectors, cobra maf, port the head and manifolds, balanace and blueprint, etc, etc... That way, if the turbo version ever goes kablooey, you have a replacement (your stock DE) to drop back in while the turbo one is rebuilt. granted the build up i've just described is NOT in the $2600 range. that price will get your stock DE outfitted with just a turbo. the buildup i just went thru would run closer to $4500-$5500, depending on the shops you use and how much you do yourself.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think you might be mistaken

running the 300ZX pistons in our engine I think actually raises the compression to 11:1. I don't know if the twin turbo pistons are the ones they used, but I think in the se-r mods list, they say something about the 300zx pistons. Yeah it is ver possible to build your engine for really cheap to make a good amount of power, but for the amount of power I am going for I need all aftermarket forged assemblies and plenty of custom work. Lee knows his shizt, and eventhough he is saying some low prices cuz he probably gets hookups at someone's shop(like myself), you can still at least get a range of how much you need to save up. How can you get a FWD SR20DE-T for less than $1600 bucks with ECU and Transmission???? please let me know

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
i have some links on my pc @ work. i'll check em out tomorrow and hook you up with the links. (with ecu, us de tranny is compatible for basic turbo upgrade. ;) )

·
Registered
297 Posts
ooooohhh!

you really think the US DE Spec tranny can handle the power? up to what amount of power is the US Spec Tranny rated to? Yeah please hook me up with some links, know where I can get a manual for both the US Spec SR20DE, and for the Japan Spec SR20DET? Thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
anyone that comes in here, you can help

Hey anyone that reads this please help us and try to find a tranny place that does custom gear work on our 5speeds. I do not know any good places nor have searched for them yet cuz I have auto, but I will start searching ASAP, we need to solve our weak gear problem, one of the SE-Rs at the track had a tranny problem(they run either 11's or 12s). Shizt, It would be really coo if we could get a tranny shop that can make our trannies be rated up to around 500hp. Let's try to do it for the sake of the whole se-r community.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It can handle the power to an extent. Hassinger's car which put 409 to the wheels with the stock tranny is fine to this day. The AEBS sentra SE-R is still running the stock tranny, although they blow through them a lot.

·
Registered
297 Posts
hehehe, yeah they have backup trannies

ok Kevin, I will. I will call them up sometime in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What companies make Turbos for the 2k1 SR20de?..also..does anyone have any hard facts on how high the boost levels would have to be to match the performance of a SR20DET?

·
Registered
297 Posts
hmmm

buy a turbo kit w/o the piping, so some measurements and get some custom mandrel bends and do it yourself. thats the cheapest way I see it. I have another even cheaper way, but will not reveal it until I try it in case it doesn't work. The performance depends on the size of the turbo you put in, and the ECU. fuel would need to be compensated for as well. I think somewhere in the range of 7-11psi is good for a completely stock engine(somewhere b/w 200-230hp).

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 300ZX mechanic said it would run around 3000 to put an aftermarket turbo on the car. I'm definately thinking of doing it once it's paid off. He said I would want to run around 6 pounds of boost.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Re: anyone that comes in here, you can help

Ever hear of level ten? they can make your transmission that can hold 500 hp.

Doc

2k1DragSentra said:
Hey anyone that reads this please help us and try to find a tranny place that does custom gear work on our 5speeds. I do not know any good places nor have searched for them yet cuz I have auto, but I will start searching ASAP, we need to solve our weak gear problem, one of the SE-Rs at the track had a tranny problem(they run either 11's or 12s). Shizt, It would be really coo if we could get a tranny shop that can make our trannies be rated up to around 500hp. Let's try to do it for the sake of the whole se-r community.

·
Registered
297 Posts
yes level ten is awesome

level ten is this ish, if I keep my auto SE, I will get my tranny done by them, but I thought they only work on automatic tranmissions, I haven't given them a call yet, cuz I am going to do the turbo first before the tranny work, so it's going to be quite some time before I got the tranny money.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Not that I'm interested in doing this, but just for my knowledge, what would have to be done in order to change a car from FWD to RWD???

1 - 20 of 28 Posts