B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at upgrading my headlights with one of the HID 9007 kits out on the market right now. The only issue I have is the fact that most kits are for low setting (as in not for high/low)... which works for cars that have two seperate bulbs (i.e. Honda/Acura) but not for someone like me that has High/Low and Daytime running (yes I live in Canada).

Any suggestion or your two cents of specific models that worked for you would be appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Catz makes a dual beam HID kit that will fit in our car. I heard they closed their offices in the USA, but they may still be in business in Canada. I think what drove them out of the U.S. was a law that made aftermarket H.I.D. kits illegal.

Anyway you are going to pay a good amount for that kit. If you check the classifyied section, I think someone had a new Catz kit for sale for a good price.

·
Registered
631 Posts
you still have the same problem tho, lack of high beams. HIDs cant have high beams in theory. they work by heating up and getting brighter as they heat up. high beams have to instantaneous. trust me man, i WANT hid's...bad...but it isnt worth the $500 fix-it ticket in MA, plus not having high beams, plus having to aim them down more than normally (since they project light quite a bit further, if you dont aim them down, you can seriously blind anyone that happens to be looking in your direction.

honestly, im glad they made aftermarket HID kits illegal. they dont have factory self-leveling things...and usually arent MADE for the car they're going on (tooooo many ricers around here stealing HID's off audi's and retro-fitting them to civics, which breaks up the beam pattern, which is incredibly annoying to drive in front of or towards)

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
The CATZ kit would pass inspections when the kits were "legal". Most HID kits will just turb off when you push or pull the stalk. Most places down here in PA will not even check your high beams when you get inspected, if you car passes the computer test that is good enough for them.

I too was against putting HID's on cars that were not designed for them. I then saw how well they can work if they are set up properly. How many people you blind/annoy really depends on how you aim your lights. True you still will not get the proper beam pattern, but you can still enjoy the brighter, wider lighting area!

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
Amen to that.......I'm glad you've come round Chris;)........the CATZ kit has high and low beams........they were one of the only kits that gave you highs and lows........if you can find them then you won't have any issues with the lack of high beams.......and you don't have to aim them down considerably......mine are aimed just a tad bit higher than OEM.......i need to aim them back down to OEM specs and it'll be perfectly fine

Late,
Daniel

·
Registered
94 Posts
Headlamp help

My passenger side headlamp was recently broken. I need to replace it and have been looking for a set of projector lights or maybe something just a little more interesting that the boring stock version. But the only replacement lamps that I have been able to find though are the 00 - 03 versions and I have a 2004. I have noticed that the bumper is slightly different in the headlamp area between the previously stated years and 2004. My question is can I get the lights to fit my car and would I need to replace the front bumper to do so? (it just so happens to also be in need of being replaced ... along with the hood ... :( *sigh*). Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you really want HIDs you can always do something like this :)

I love my lights. I'll do a write up once i'm 100% finished with it (i'm trying to get some bezels )

Mike

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
1.8 sleeper said:
My passenger side headlamp was recently broken. I need to replace it and have been looking for a set of projector lights or maybe something just a little more interesting that the boring stock version. But the only replacement lamps that I have been able to find though are the 00 - 03 versions and I have a 2004. I have noticed that the bumper is slightly different in the headlamp area between the previously stated years and 2004. My question is can I get the lights to fit my car and would I need to replace the front bumper to do so? (it just so happens to also be in need of being replaced ... along with the hood ... :( *sigh*). Thanks.
There are no projector headlights for any B15.

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
and you can only use the 2004 headlights.......unless you change the whole front end over to a 2004........and you don't need projector headlights in order to run HIDs........yesh projectors are hot and i would love a set of them for my car........but i'm not about to go spend money on custom projectors for my car.......no need really

Late,
Daniel

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
You can buy a h13 /9008 bulb from a ford dealership for like 20 bucks..... Nissan will charge like 60-80

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
As other said, the CATZ 9007 HID kit does have low/high. It's a little mecanism that make the bulb move push/pull inside the reflector cover so the same HID bulb will reflect and light different depending of the position.

The only thing that will cause problems is DRL... you *MUST* disable them in order not to screw up your HID kit. Fortunatly, I've found how-to disable the DRL on the canadian B15 and it's really easy. Just check my how-to here:
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38435

And if you still want the DRL to be working, rewire your fog light to an ignition 12V source and they should turn on along with starting the car ;)

Check also thoses threads I found for you :p
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80839&highlight=hid+drl
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=67327&highlight=hid+drl
http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50592&highlight=hid+drl

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought an aftermarket 10K hid kit. I have not had a problem with them and I did not have to reaim my lights. My kit looks real close to acura oems. I have not had any people flash there high beams at me no cops have bothered me about them. I have had a lot of complments about them.

·
Registered
631 Posts
10k? jesus. thats like, deep purple.

im getting the bi-xenon (hibeam/lowbeam) 4100(or 4300, i forgot) when i actually get em. puts out a nice crisp white light, thats actually more effective in lighting the road than the higher kelvin rated bulbs. im going by experience on this.
on my buddy's 240, he originally had 7000k (blueish) HIDs, they were ok, but not as bright as you'd think. he switched to a 12000k kit, which were a DEEP purple, and they sucked to drive with. they're horrible in the rain. he switched to Sylvania bulbs, i think they were 4100/4300k....those are insane. far brighter than the previous two sets he had. we can use his car to light up whole areas at night, for when we wanna party :)

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
I agree that anything 10k and over is most for the look only... not useful at all.

And Jasper, what you got is not bi-xenon because it's mean you have 2 bulbs. You probably gonna have something like the CATZ 9007...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I was giong to get the 4300k bulbs which I know they are more of a white light then the 10ks that I have know. I have driven in the rain and I can see everything. I compared my lights to a true hid off of a 05 Altima and man was I suprised that mine were producing more light. I use to have a bi-xenon kit with Audi 6 projectors and I like the kit that I have now better.

·
gone :(
1,283 Posts
gqxboston said:
i live in MA and i have a 6000k HID kit in my car and love it..no tickets *knocks on wood* or anything because i aimed the HID's down and they light up the entire road and signage i jsut wired my fogs to be high-beams
how did u do that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.