B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some winter tires for my Spec V. I want to get some base steel 15 inch rims and then get the blizzak tires. I want to do this without ignoring some concerns by changing the size of the tire. For instance, will a 15 inch rim give enough clearance to the stock rotor and calipher? I am thinking of going to a junk yard to get base (Steel) 15 inch rims from a nissan basic sentra model. Also will the 15 inch tire be able to have the same diameter (offset by having a high profile tire) as the 17 low profile tire so that my speedometer will not be wrong? If anybody has feedback on this it would be great. Everyone I have talked to has told me to purchase Blizzak's and get them from tirerack.com. All suggestions greatly appreciated. I already roughed up the bumper trying to go through winter with the stock tires, I was lucky to get away with just that. Now I have the money and time to get some good winter tires so I can make it through this winter alive.

·
Owner
1,650 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy the complete package from tirerack. The steel wheels on the base sentra model are 14", so those won't work. You actually need the base model steel wheels from the older altima (15"). Most junkyards will have those wheels used for 40 a piece, and then you have to buy the tires and pay to get them mounted/balanced, etc. If you get the whole package from one place, you usually pay 35-50 per wheel, plus mounting and balancing is included in the overall price.

·
Banned
2,745 Posts
yes 15's fit.
get some american racing 15 inch steelies, mine where about 200 bucks new. blizzaks are nice tires too.

note: regardless of what rim you get for the winter, make sure it doesn't have a hub-sentric ring. if it does, remember to take it off before you put your summer wheels/tires on. i had a huge problem with this last year.

with 15's your speedo will be off a bit, but it depends on what size tire you get. also you gearing changes with 15's (its better....you'll see) but other then that its pretty standard. be very, very careful starting if you have a spec, because the HLSD doesn't do a damn thing in the snow.
btw, i'm gonna be heading up to the track in rochester in the next few weeks, we should have a meet there ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
15" steelies will fit perfectly, however, the calliper of my spec V was almost touching the steelies. But if they really touching it, you will hear the nasty rubbing noise.

Go to Walmart, they carry the 15" steelies (4 bolts) for our spec v. Tell the staff you drive the spec V and they will look up the brouchue for you!!

Price: $39.95 at Walmart (get it before the winter comes or else they will not have it in stock later!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Send me more details of when and where you will be in rochester. I may have to make an appearance. My tires are bald though, so I don't plan on racing. The winter was brutal on the stock tires. I was in college at the time and couldn't afford newer tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts