B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through many posts on this but have never really come up with a solid answer. My Spec V has a serious stalling problem. What I have tried that occasionally works is remove the battery overnight and let the computer reset itself. Sometimes this works for two weeks, 2 days or sometimes 4 months, and the problem goes away. Then for no reason it seems, the problem reoccurs. Basically, it just can't idle properly and will usually stall out (with black smoke from the tailpipe). Its fine when driving but when you open the clutch to come to a stop, the engine will usually die. I've had all the recalls done and its been to the dealer many times for this with the service technicians scratching their heads because if the SES light isn't on (on occasion it does come on), they have a tough trying to figure it out what the problem is.
Please, has anybody found a solid solution for this that has lasted more than 4-6 months? I'm sure its a sensor, just don't know which one.
Thanks in advance.

·
Theory freak learning...
3,920 Posts
MAF sensor maybe... and the black smoke is an indicator that you are probably running way too rich.

Or even the hole ECM as to be replaced also even if the foam recall as been done, damage could already occur on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This may not be related, but, I had a problem with stalling when my Air filter was really dirty. Here in AZ the dust is really bad, I have to clean the CAI filter about onse a month. just to be safe.

Kyle
03 Spec-V

·
I have a gavina!!!!!
786 Posts
If Its Been To The Dealer More Than Three Times For The Same Problem And They Havent Fixed It By Law Its Considered A Lemon They Have To Give You A New Car!! ( I Think So Any Ways :d )

·
Registered
78 Posts
How is your oil level. My car began to stall right before my engine got replaced. It also blew out black smoke due to oil consumption. It was a noticleable thing though(2 quarts every 1000 miles. I have an 02' by the way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Air filter...

The black smoke occurs as it begins to stall and tries to keep idling. I would guess that its probably unburned gas.
On my way home from work yesterday it was acting up again pretty badly so I decided to stop in to try a new air filter (based on AquaticKnight's post). I installed it in the parking lot and fired up the engine. Voila! So far so good. Its hard to believe that this may have solved the problem. I had a K&N filter in there previous that I thought was pretty clean - and a regular filter before that. It may seem that any deviation in the air intake is a problem. I'll see what happens on day 2...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far so good...

Finished out the week without any further problems. I guess it looks like it was the air filter. Its still a bit hard to believe since I've been having stalling issues off and on basically since I have owned it new and even before I put the K&N filter in it (everything else is stock). Also, in the winter it would occasionally not idle after immediately starting up and was very difficult to get started after that. I assumed all of this is related - I see now maybe to the air filter...

I'll post any new developments if they occur.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good while it lasted...

Didn't use the car all week-end. Now Monday comes and it worked fine in the morning but at lunch when I went out it started again.
So why did changing the air filter at least help it for a few days? The saga continues...
Anybody else with suggestions?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
MAF or a leak in your intake piping.

**edit

maybe a vaccuum problem?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fixed - Sort of

Been a while since I posted but thought anyone trolling through the searches might find this and it would be helpful...
My problem is the throttle body. I believe what happens is that the throttle valve gets clogged up over time and starts sending the wrong signals to the computer. There is a hose that goes from the top of the engine into the intake just before the throttle body. This hose contains unburned gases, etc. from the engine. It eventually clogs up the throttle valve.
The solution I have found is this. About every two or three months I have to remove the throttle body and clean it with throttle cleaner, etc. Wiping all of the carbon deposit away with a rag. After installation the car works fine (until it clogs up again). I have done this at least 4 times over the last year or so and it always fixes the problem. The next time, I am going to try to disconnect the engine vent hose and vent it to the atmosphere rather than back into the engine (emmisions violation). I will plug the connection on the intake boot.

For years I had problems with excessive stalling, rough idling, car jumping into 'safe mode', etc. This has cured everything for me. How many times can I take the throttle body apart and clean it before its shot? Not sure, I guess I will find out eventually. Like I said though, if you are having trouble, try this, its solved a lot of headaches for me.

·
Rotary GURU
537 Posts
vacuum problems usually lead to high idle.

·
Registered
64 Posts
my friend's spec had the same idling problem last week, after putting carbon cleaning addivtive into the gas tank and cleaning the tb with cleaners, everything is good now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
man im having this same problem too. sometimes my car will have good days and sometimes it will just stall when im braking into a full stop. it annoys the f outta me. 3 months ago, i brought it into nissan to have them take a look at it (under warranty), but my car decided to act fine during their test drive and computer diagnosis, as a result i get charged $100 dollars just for them doing me the service of plugging their machine into my car. so far i still have the same problems i tried tightening all visible hoses which worked for a little bit but still same problems. i havent yet tried removing the battery terminals over night so hopefully that will cure it.

·
Rotary GURU
537 Posts
WestcoastSER said:
man im having this same problem too. sometimes my car will have good days and sometimes it will just stall when im braking into a full stop. it annoys the f outta me. 3 months ago, i brought it into nissan to have them take a look at it (under warranty), but my car decided to act fine during their test drive and computer diagnosis, as a result i get charged $100 dollars just for them doing me the service of plugging their machine into my car. so far i still have the same problems i tried tightening all visible hoses which worked for a little bit but still same problems. i havent yet tried removing the battery terminals over night so hopefully that will cure it.
Dirty MAF sensor.

What does the intake piping look like? Clean? Immaculate? Dirty?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts