B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife thinks the stereo of her 2k Sentra is lousy and she's right. She has the CD player but speakers in door only, NOT on pillar.

We thought about installing some polks 6.5 inch speakers. Would the existing amp drive them? (she doesn't listen loud and refuses to change the head unit since she does not want any modification in the looks of the car.

Any suggestions/advice?
thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm not sure if the front speakers are the same between the
standard system and the 180W system, but my stock front speakers were acceptable. I only replaced them because I was bored. :)
The rear speakers were complete junk though.

The head unit should have no problem driving the Polks. I'm running Infinitys up front and Kenwoods in the back,
without an amp, and I get acceptable sound. I usually don't listen loud, and I'm not looking to win any contests.

I would replace the rear speakers first, and then tackle the fronts if she still doesn't like the sound.

'Course you could always hide and amp under her seat. :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the 100 watt system and I think it sounds pretty good and after all, im a teenager! i dont know about you guys but i dont want to kill my ears even though i enjoy listening to music loud...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input. No, she doesn't listen loud. Just says the bass and high frequencies aren't what they should be. Radio sounds better than CD's. Anyway, I will put in some polks.

bk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Are the front speakers and rear speakers the same size? If so, maybe you should replace the front speakers with the Polks and put the front speakers in the back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
samo said:
Are the front speakers and rear speakers the same size? If so, maybe you should replace the front speakers with the Polks and put the front speakers in the back.
According to http://www.crutchfield.com , the front speakers are custom approx. 6 3/4 but very thin. Only the polk 6.5 will fit in without any modifications.

The rear speakers are the same size, but they said any 6.5 or 6 3/4 speaker will fit since the depth of the speaker isn't an issue.

We have thought about installing the premium Sentra speakers up front (with the pillar mounts) but can't get a dealer to give us a quote.

The whole thing is an issue partly because my wife tends to keep her cars a long time (like about 8 or 9 years).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is the Polk 6.5 that your talking about the Polk EX602A? Because if it will fit without modification, im going to buy it right this second...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the 6.5 will fit perfectly according to Crutchfield. the 6 3/4 fits in rear deck, but not in front. The speaker is also available at circuit city.
bk
Intoxicated said:
Is the Polk 6.5 that your talking about the Polk EX602A? Because if it will fit without modification, im going to buy it right this second...

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not happy with the stereo. Premium my butt. I have the 180W, and that's a load of crap. If you heard 180 real watts, you'd never listen the same way again.

·
Registered
250 Posts
audio1der said:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's not happy with the stereo. Premium my butt. I have the 180W, and that's a load of crap. If you heard 180 real watts, you'd never listen the same way again.
You're not kidding there! Last weekend I replaced the rears on my SE with a pair of Infinity Kappa 652.1i speakers, and the improvement in sound quality was very noticable. The stock Panasonic 4 ohm, 15 watt rear speakers are a (bad) joke; however, in their defense, they *do* make very decent desktop PC speakers.

My next upgrade will be to replace the front speakers, then possibly the head unit.

DL

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the Polks and they sound great! The only problem I had was that I had to drill new holes. And you need to use the foam ring that comes with the speakers or ur window will get in the way.

·
high-five!
791 Posts
Intoxicated said:
I have the Polks and they sound great! The only problem I had was that I had to drill new holes. And you need to use the foam ring that comes with the speakers or ur window will get in the way.
Wait- what size did you get for the front (6.5s or 6 3/4s)? Cause according to bkingsley and Crutchfield, the 6.5s should fit in the front with no mods. And you got the 6.5s in the rear, right?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got the 6.5's for the front and 6 3/4's for the rear. You definitely have to drill new holes. I think the 6 3/4 (Polk EX652A) would fit the holes perfectly but will be way too deep and will hit the windows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts