B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I tried doing some research on CAI's(I've never modded before), and can't decide whether or not to get one. The two things that I haven't heard anyone answer: 1. Can anyone describe the sound the CAI makes? I hate any kind of droning on the highway. I had a 91 Talon that once you hit 70, you could hardly think it was so loud. Also, this doesn't hurt the long-term durability? I've had a few cars with questionable reliability, and don't want to cause any damage to mine. I've searched, but didn't see any threads on the subject. Point me to any threads I missed. Thanks!

·
Registered
816 Posts
The CAI will not drone at highway speeds. In fact, at partial throttle, the CAI is not really that noticable. However, if you floor it to pass a car or to just accelerate, the car will let out a fierce growl. It sounds really cool...like a lion....kinda.

The CAI will not affect durability with the car. It is a simple bolt on that just allows colder, denser air to be taken into the engine from the outside. This won't hurt your engine one bit.

PS...the reason why the CAI gets so loud at wide open throttle is because you have to remove your resonator (a little black box in your fender well that muffles the air coming into your intake). If you want to see how the CAI will kinda sound like, remove your resonator and drive around with the stock intake. The CAI will sound like that but just louder and with more AUTHORITAY!!!!!

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Marrick!

Hey bud, here's my take on a CAI. I've had my Place Racing CAI for how long now, almost two months? Well, the sound is great! I had thought it would be kinda loud, but it gets loud when you want it to get loud, just like full throttle. The power gain is definitely noticeable. I would definitely recommend this install, just cause it's a very good bang for your buck mod and it's fairly simple to do it yourself.

Now, if you're worried about doing anything drastic, then the POP charger or a K&N drop in filter might be the way to go. You might also want to factor in cost. In any case, go with it, and be happy! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I'll probably end up ordering one soon. Any ideas on where to find the Place Racing one at a decent price?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
All I can say is it sounds totally awesome. It is pretty mean sounding above 4000rpms. I really love it. I would suggest it just for the sound. lol

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I would just order one straight from Place Racing, that's what I did, got the silver one and the total with shipping is $219. I saw on http://www.importpartsplus.com that it is 227 before shipping. Those are the only two places I've seen to get them, maybe someone else can tell you some others. Might want to check the classfieds section on the board too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you order one, expect to wait quite a while for it.
I'm at about two months and counting... I ordered a Silver one. :(

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
UtahJ said:
If you order one, expect to wait quite a while for it.
I'm at about two months and counting... I ordered a Silver one. :(
Hey man, I have no idea what the hold up is. Gilbert gave Bgolat a total refund for the amount of time he was waiting also. If you want, contact Gilbert at Place Racing. I really do hope you get yours soon.

Also...if there's another group deal, the CAI can get really low (I paid $156 shipping included). :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Good point Lee.

I just fired off an e-mail asking them when they
thought it would ship. I'll let you know what they
come back with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi i'm just wondering if the engine will consume more gasoline if I do the CAI mod....thanks

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
whitesentra said:
Hi i'm just wondering if the engine will consume more gasoline if I do the CAI mod....thanks
Now that's a tricky question,,,,I would imagine the engine would give ya better gas mileage,,,but you also gotta put this perspective into consideration,,,once you get the CAI installed and feel the power and hear the growl you'll find yourself hitting the gas a little harder more frequently which will make ya use more gas....Trust me I know this from experience.....And everyone else that has the CAI installed can relate to this......:)

G

·
Yeah, I found myself taking my car past 4,500RPM's way more often than I used to. hahaha.

Honestly, if you modding your car you have to be willing to make small sacrifices. Is 1 MPG amount to much to you? If you are that concerned about it, maybe you should just leave your car stock. I haven't noticed any significant decline in my MPG, but I guess it depends on how you drive. BTW, one of my best tanks was after I installed the Stromung exhaust. I haven't calculated it with the PR CAI yet. I'll do it after this tank is done.

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Lee said:
you can always order a non coated system and have it powder coated locally. just a thought...
Damn Lee, this is a very good point man! :)

Yeah, I thought of the mileage, and I knew it was going to be crappy since I have a much heavier lead foot now.... :p. One thing I will say is that on my trip to West Virginia, I got around 30 mpg on the highway driving...uhmm...pretty fast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts