B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont wanna sound like a d*#& or anything but can someone give me a vaild reason y nissan gave us solid rear suspension?

i know they cut corners to make this car cheap but damm....
i dont really know much bout cars n stuff but i just found out that we got the cheap suspension. i mean the soild rear suspension is cheaper then independent

when u look under our cars, it kinda reminds me of hot wheels when u flip them over n sometimes u can see the little steal stick that connects the tires together

thatz my 2 cent on it. they went cheap on us like they did with the paint....but anywayz i still love my specs

is there any good reasons for the solid rear suspensions beside the cut cost?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well considering the sentra has had a solid rear suspension since longer than I've ben driving, I'd say that's probably the reason. You can't just throw in an independent rear because you just feel like it. Perhaps the B16 or whatever they are going to end up calling it will have a better rear suspension.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
if you hate the fricken car so much why did you even buy it?????

It's just as good as an independent rear suspension anyways...not like it's a solid beam on leaf springs like a pickup lol

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you hate the fricken car so much why did you even buy it?????

i never said i hated the car

im new to this place so im not gonna a flame war so imma let it go

but thankz to everyone who had a smart comment on it

·
coming soon
14,392 Posts
SuperAkuma said:

i know they cut corners to make this car cheap but damm....
i dont really know much bout cars n stuff but i just found out that we got the cheap suspension. i mean the soild rear suspension is cheaper then independent

if you don't know much about "cars n stuff" then how do you know rear beam is so bad? Much better handling than rear independent...iirc.....at least on the honda civics.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
02SE-R said:
my thoughts exactly... so shut the hell up and live with it

i think the car handles excellent for having the suspension it has!
I know, people buy the car and then come here and post how much they suck...I know my car sucks but I don't complain about it lol

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
despite all the problems with the tranny and paint.... I LOVE MY SPEC!!!

that is also y i bought my specs beside the cloud part
im just wondering y they put a soild rear instead of independent.
dont get me wrong i love it no mater wat unless it blows up r something (knock on wood)
i got the spec cuz i didnt wanna drive something that everyone else had like a civic my last car n i wanted more TQ

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you do a search on this subject you will discover that it has been discussed many times. Because it is simple doesn't mean that it is not effective.

·
Registered
276 Posts
probably because independent aren't necessarily required in this FWD car of our (in my opinion :D)
And in the multi-link beam suspension, the tires still stay perpendicular to the road when taking turns, going over bumps, tilting, etc.

·
Registered
270 Posts
As far as I can tell the Multi-link rear end simply gives similar performance to fully independent suspension, but while giving you more trunk space. That's it. Check out the following links:

www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/MediaDisplay/0,,24004,00.html

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/suspension/tech_suspension21.htm#Multi

I used to be a big fan of the Lateral-G number for determining how well your car does its thing, but really, the slalom AND the lateral-g measurement, together, are better. The Spec V can't maintain a lateral-g as well as some other cars, but its slalom speeds are unreal for a $17,000 car! Besides, the Skyline has a multi-link rear end and it can keep up with anything that has an independent rear end on the track (with equal power and weight of course.)

Just my two cents.

·
Hater
907 Posts
Re: Re: solid rear suspension....

chimmike said:
Much better handling than rear independent...iirc.....at least on the honda civics.
This is on a per car/setup basis, though, so it goes both ways. For example, a MSP has a fully independent f/r suspension along with a few other goodies that make it outhandle a Spec V.

However, Corollas(well, the older ones...think the new ones are semi), Civics, regular Proteges, Neons(I think?), and just about every other major manufacturer compact car that sells in any appreciable volume /except/ for the Sentra(and the Cavalier) have fully independent f/r suspensions, but they're softer sprung, and much more biased towards "comfort" and a Spec V will outhandle all of those other cars, despite its less impressive geometry.

All things being equal though, IFS/IRS are popular for a reason....one which manifests itself everytime I hit a bump midturn...My sentra sidesteps, as does the live rear axe Firebird I drive from time to time...my Prizm does not. May not be better handling...but IMO it's considerably less disconcerting...

·
Aiya!
560 Posts
BM14582 said:
As far as I can tell the Multi-link rear end simply gives similar performance to fully independent suspension, but while giving you more trunk space. That's it. Check out the following links:

www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/MediaDisplay/0,,24004,00.html

http://autozine.kyul.net/technical_school/suspension/tech_suspension21.htm#Multi

I used to be a big fan of the Lateral-G number for determining how well your car does its thing, but really, the slalom AND the lateral-g measurement, together, are better. The Spec V can't maintain a lateral-g as well as some other cars, but its slalom speeds are unreal for a $17,000 car! Besides, the Skyline has a multi-link rear end and it can keep up with anything that has an independent rear end on the track (with equal power and weight of course.)

Just my two cents.
BM14582,

The benefits of the "Multi-link beam" are space (leading to more trunk space) and cost. In RWD cars they're better for drag racing (why damn near all RWD dragsters use Ford 9in rears) for some reason I don't remember.

The disadvantages of the beam axle include weight in many cases, loss of grip on bumps (esp mid corner), and ride over bumps.

A Camaro has a solid rear with a bunch of links (Panhard bar setup), but we just call it a solid axle, or more specifically, a live axle since Camaro's are RWD.
Putting a 5-link Panhard rear like this into a Mustang instead of the stock torque arm setup. Looks like a solid axle to me, even with all them extra links.

"Multi-link beam" is Nissan marketing crap, just as the Spec V's specific "sport tuned muffler" is. The Sentra does not have what is considered by most to be a multi-link suspension. The SE-R/Spec is made to handle in spite of it's rear suspension, not because of it. The Skyline on the other hand, does have an independent multi-link rear suspension.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts