B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never done much soldering before as you'll be able to tell from my question. So...can I solder copper wire from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. to the silver multi-stranded wire on the ends of a cold cathode power inverter? See http://www.elwirecheap.com/coldcathodes.html this if you need more information.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the same sort of wire you'd find it you spliced open any electrical component in your computer case. Actually, probably similar to the wiring in headunit harnesses if that's a better comparison.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
solid copper wire. i'm not as worried that it won't take as i am that it will corrode too quickly or carry a "dirty" current. or should i not really be concerned about this?

maybe i should have someone with some experience help me while i do it :)

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
What about that cold solder you see on TV? Has anyone tried that yet? I'm looking into buying that to learn how to solder....Sial what type you got man?

·
Registered
631 Posts
diwun67 said:
Why do you want to use solid wire???
yeah...twisted fine strand is more efficient in most cases? and a hell of a lot easier to work with.

the cold solder thing is bull. theres NO way they could get a tip to heat and cool down that fast, and if it did, it'd be a VERY poor connection. the point of soldering a wire to another wire is to basically make them one. the cold solder thing prob just melts wire on top of the 2 wires. real soldering takes a couple minutes. you have to hold the tip on the bare wire, get it to heat up, and let the solder melt THROUGH it, not onto it

do this, twist the 2 wire ends together, then put the soldering iron tip under them. hold it there steady for a minute or so, then touch the solder to the top of the wire (DONT TOUCH IT TO THE SOLDERING GUN)...and it the wire has heated up enough, the solder will melt through and actually permanently bond the 2 wires (until you remelt the solder anyways)...that will ensure a nice SOLID connection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts