B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed a leak before a short drive, when I got back I cranked the wheel both ways a few times and the puddles seem bigger, but this is the first spec v I've owned.
I know the power steering tends to leak, and honestly if it's just that I really don't feel like it's detrimental, had a few cars without power steering.
Anyways, I'm stressed, exhausted, and broke. Based on the crummy pic, how concerned should I be here? Thanks!

(Aside from the massive concern involved with any leak)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prepare for a Rack n Pinion...
Thought so. Well poop, too broke to fix it for at minimum a month. I've noticed the steering getting looser and lighter for some reason.
I've let power steering go on other cars and been fine, but they were from an era where power steering was more of an option than anything.
Just in your opinion, think this cars are driveable if it goes? Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thought so. Well poop, too broke to fix it for at minimum a month. I've noticed the steering getting looser and lighter for some reason.
I've let power steering go on other cars and been fine, but they were from an era where power steering was more of an option than anything.
Just in your opinion, think this cars are driveable if it goes? Thanks for the confirmation.
Check all hoses 1st...I just went through this with my B13...had to replace high pressure hose 1st...it was leaking...but both sides is rack end seals try Rock Auto...rebuilds are iffy...work for awhile...AMAZON has new replacement assemblies and it's quite difficult to get it in by yourself...fair warning...I helped my mechanic put one in...we used a floor Jack to get it by the driver side narrow place...it made it with no damage...whew...took 4 hours...he thought 2...I had to help...he was having trouble...but that one place near bottom edge of firewall and suspension was it on driverside...once past that...ahhh...re assemble...new units are worth it...they are made with an equalizer tube that takes up pressure off the seals on ends of rack tube...neat deal...save your pennies...new is well worth it...Good Luck!!! Oh...I did drive it awhile with no power assist...not bad...just slower and more arm strength for awhile...👍

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks for all the advice! Looks like I can get a new assembly for <$180, just worried about the mechanic bills. I'll definitely give everything a good once over before any purchases, and it's good to know I can at least get to and from work if/when it fails.
If it is the rack, might be nice to know the new parts don't have the same flaws as factory.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I must add...(after looking for Rack n Pinions...PARTSGEEK.COM...Good as well...look for New...not refurbished(if you plan on keeping the ride awhile, that is) or AutoZone has a good guarentee...but I always need to wait on a part coming from another store or warehouse...(ahem...then if it's a refurbished part...all that labor over again...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you replaced one on the 06 2.5l? Been searching around a bit and the only ones I'm finding all have received saying they don't fit the spec v and/or they were junk yard parts. Found one on parts geek but it doesn't confirm if it's for the 1.8 or 2.5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts