B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Poopra King
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went by my exhaust guy that has done all of my cars for years, and we were looking at my exhaust to determine exactly what resonator to swap to to try and quiet the car down with. I had an 18" resonator, which made my car kinda loud before, but after I gutted the cat, it just got too loud. I finally got annoyed enough (cause it started sounding very raspy too) that it was time for change. So I was looking through his selection, and I said can we fit this one? A 36 mofo inch (actually, including the piping at the ends, it's 42") resonator. Well, it took some more customizing, but we got it to fit under there. I had to cut just behind the 18" res, and cut about 14" ahead of the secondary cat body (yes, this went into both the cat-back and the down pipe). He was gonna weld it all together so basically I would't have a down pipe anymore, but I was ahhh no, My motor goes in and out of my car like a jack rabbit humpin away, so we made a flange just behind the motor. Now my down pipe is about half as long as it used to be, and we made the Mustang style flared flanges that require no gaskets. All in all, I'm very happy now. I can't believe we fit one that big under there. The car is much more quiet now, still not as quiet as like a Stomung or anything, but way more quiet than it was before, no more rice :D:D:D

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Even with my standard Stromung resonator and stock cat in the downpipe with HS header, the exhaust is too loud for my taste. I still get mild backfiring when letting off the throttle, which is cool most of the time but not so great when you're trying to be subtle, like cruising past a parked cop or something. Also, the low tone sets off car alarms every now and then, which is actually pretty funny.

Take some pics if you have the time, I'd really like to see just how big this thing looks under your car.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Dangling Fury said:
Even with my standard Stromung resonator and stock cat in the downpipe with HS header, the exhaust is too loud for my taste. I still get mild backfiring when letting off the throttle, which is cool most of the time but not so great when you're trying to be subtle, like cruising past a parked cop or something. Also, the low tone sets off car alarms every now and then, which is actually pretty funny.

Take some pics if you have the time, I'd really like to see just how big this thing looks under your car.
My Magnaflow is the same way! :D I LOVE setting of the car alarms at work in the parking garage...the best! :rolleyes:

·
Southern Shift Racing
2,511 Posts
Dangling Fury said:

wuss... :D ;)

Steve, do you have the 18" or 24" resonator? You could get a bigger resonator slapped on that puppy for pretty cheap.

I love the blurble and backfiring when I let off the gas. When I first installed my HS header it was a tad too high pitched, now its mellowed out and is nice. lmfao... I used to set this one minivans alarm off in my parking garage every freeking day when I entered the garage, but I think they're not parking there anymore because it never goes off now. :p

·
Poopra King
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah, I like the burbling and popping too, but the car had a bad drone to it while driving. Before, it was loud outside of the car, but not inside, so I didn't care too much, but recently it was loud in the car too, and I do a lot of highway driving, so it was just too much.

I'll take some pics. We could see the reflection of it in the standing water next to my car last night, and we were all like damn!!!!! It's huge :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
hey pituala if you gut the cat does your ses/cel light come on just wondering cause if not thats what i'm going to do i like setting off alarms

·
Poopra King
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a couple pics, sorry if it's hard to tell the size, but like I said, it's fricken huge!!!

If you look at the mandrel bend right here, this is where it turns to go over the rear axle;

In this pic you can see the cat-back hanger, the old catback stoped about 2-3 inches in front of this;

·
Poopra King
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
specjoe said:
hey pituala if you gut the cat does your ses/cel light come on just wondering cause if not thats what i'm going to do i like setting off alarms
I have no cats, before when it was gutted, and the whole time, no ses light.

·
Poopra King
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
silversurfer said:
lmfao... You still have no SES light? haha
Nope, the only ses I had recently was when I blew the motor....lol, and that went away as soon as we started it back up when I put it back together ;)

·
Poopra King
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pdaddy_13 said:
Damn! That thing is huge. I've been thinking about doing something to mine too. The drone is getting to me as well... (2.5" BRM w/ Magnaflow res. and muffler)
That's what she said ;)......lol

·
Poopra King
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
specjoe said:
how do you go about gutting the cat
Drop out the down pipe, 4 14mm bolts and 2 12mm bolts. Then get a big screw driver or something similar, and a hammer, and bang that shiz out!

·
NISMOnkey
1,015 Posts
I was actually considering that new Apexi exhaust w/the backpressure activated silencer thingie as an alternative to my Mossy/Hotshot combo. They're not yet out, and from what I heard when I called Apexi, will run about $700. yoiks!

·
Poopra King
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GHSER7 said:
:eek:

LOL Nice but won't all that resonator slow the car a little bit?
No, not more than the stock cat being there, which it isn't anymore. Resonators flow way better than a cat or a muffler, it's straight through.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.