B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well i managed to turn my stock pressure plate/clutch into garbage with n20 and 30,000 miles worth of abuse, so i decided to go with a different clutch since it had to be replaced....i asked my regular mechanic and he advised against replacing my stuff with the jwt clutch/flywheel combo, and said i would be better off with a "stage 3 clutch" from competition clutch's... stage 3 clutch link
and he said when he installs it that some part of my stuff has to be resurfaced so i will be golden with just a beefy clutch, and that a flywheel is a waste of money on a b15....the guy is yet to really lead me in the wrong direction, so the part will be here tomorrow afternoon and installed friday morning, along with my motor mounts and a fresh set of avses100's...after i break the clutch in for 1500 miles or so i plan to hit the track and see if i can finally get solidly into the 14's like i should be....ill be sure to post how the new part turns out, if anyone has it already...lemme know what ive gotten myself into

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
FYI.. stock flywheel is something along the lines of 24-30lbs (assuming you have a QR)

The JWT clutch and flywheel has been proven to hold like 400-450whp with no problem, and with a good ride.

130 dollars more and you'd get the JWT clutch and flywheel:

http://hpautoworks.com/jwtclcospv.html

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
why would a lightened flywheel be useless on a b15? :confused: i wanna know his reasoning

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
NiceGuy said:
Your mechanic is wrong.

The flywheel will free up a lot of parasitic loss, like a lightened pulley will...and free up power.

And yes, the JWT clutch is a great unit. Most likely better than the clutchmaster.
I'd like info on all the pros and cons of a flywheel. I've heard equal arguments about both sides......cons, harder to go up hills as less momentum, worse mpg due to less momentum, bogs easier when drag racing, pros, free up some whp, faster revs, easier on the engine, increase engine life.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pugnex said:
I'd like info on all the pros and cons of a flywheel. I've heard equal arguments about both sides......cons, harder to go up hills as less momentum, worse mpg due to less momentum, bogs easier when drag racing, pros, free up some whp, faster revs, easier on the engine, increase engine life.
well, i looked into this a bit more.....classic nissan, the dealership that hooks it up with the nismo stuff and sponsors the local b15 car club said that they have installed 2 jwt flywheel/clutch setups, both were uninstalled and put back to stock within a month for some reason or another....anyone i know with a clutchmasters clutch has had nothing but good things to say about themmy other friend that had a b15 (sold for transam, whata trader) had the clutch/flywheel and said that he couldnt tell that the flywheel was even changed out, he said a little bit easier revs....but definitely not worth over 300+installation, i pick up the clutch this afternoon....if i can get someone with a digi to host some pics, ill try to post em up

·
NG Autoworks
7,504 Posts
pugnex said:
There should be no effect on your gas mileage. There are no changes in volumetric efficiency when using a lighter flywheel.

Also, when climbing hills, it's all about how much power you are making, as long as you're in gear momentum has nothing to do with anything.

I believe the only bad side effect you will incur is being harder to launch your car at a drag strip.

·
King of OT
5,210 Posts
NiceGuy said:
There should be no effect on your gas mileage. There are no changes in volumetric efficiency when using a lighter flywheel.

Also, when climbing hills, it's all about how much power you are making, as long as you're in gear momentum has nothing to do with anything.

I believe the only bad side effect you will incur is being harder to launch your car at a drag strip.

Well like I said, I've heard many stories of both sides, but most people who tell stories don't have first hand experience with these things.....driving in traffic will be more of a pain, and driving everyday in boston steers me away from ever getting one lol.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
It's not a pain to drive in traffic at all. You'll love how fast your engine revs up and revs down..it's not a pig anymore after the flywheel.

Sure it's different, but you can't expect it to behave similarly..just get used to it

·
Registered
778 Posts
pio!pio! said:
Sure it's different, but you can't expect it to behave similarly..just get used to it
true ... i drove piopios car and had no trouble at all.. I didnt even understand why people said they bogged out alot(or was harder to drive).. I personally thought it was easier..its worth doing it when your replacing the clutch... but i wouldnt reccomend it beofore the clutch goes.. unless u like spending $

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
wow :eek: .......your mechanic couldn't be more WRONG for every reason that has already been stated.......also........1500 miles to break in a clutch? :eek: .......JWT recommends 500 miles..........oh yeah........that's right.......you didn't get a JWT clutch and flywheel b/c you mechanic is a douche bag.........sorry man............clutchmasters may work out for you but you definitely bought it entirely for the wrong reasons.........if i was you i would send the clutch back.....get your money back.......and get the JWT clutch and flywheel........its just as easy to drive as stock......it pulls like a bat out of hell now:D.......i wouldn't recommend any other clutch ever to anyone with a b15 besides the JWT setup........worth every penny........best of luck with your clutchmaster........holy sh it i just clicked on that link you posted 550 :eek: just for a clutch kit?........wow........does you as shole hurt at all? b/c you definitely got anally raped for that.......the JWT setup is only 670 from HPAutoworks and definitely a superior setup to a stock flywheel:rolleyes: and clutchmaster clutch

Mike.......its definitely not hard to drive in stop and go traffic at all.......not sure where you got that from :confused:

Late,
Daniel
P.S.Don't forget a throw out bearing if the kit doesn't come with it and you might as well replace the rear main seal while your in there...Murphy's law states that anything that could fu ck you in the as s........will.......and hard

·
Vibrant Blue Navy
773 Posts
unless you've tried both setups don't talk s***. clutchmasters deals strictly with clutches and JWT deals with an assortment of stuff (they are a good company but people used to say the same thing about Stillen until recently)...they probably aren't an expert in any given one so don't automatically assume that their clutch system is superior and clutchmasters sucks. Clutchmasters has been around a long time so don't let people tell you they suck and you got burnt because you didn't go with the crowd and make them feel better by buying what they did. i had a clutchmasters clutch and flywheel on my old '91 SE-R and LOVED it. too many people on this board complain when someone has money to spend and spends it on something more expensive. more often then not...you get what you pay for. i have tried going the cheaper route many times, including on my car, and ended up paying more because i eventually took the cheaper part out to buy what i really wanted and should've bought in the first place. you live and learn. also, if the mechanic has treated you right in the past and knows your car...don't piss him/her off. is your car going to be for the track or the street? now i'm not bashing jwt at all...and not endorsing clutchmasters either.

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
since it seems like most of your comments are directed towards me.......i didn't go with JWT b/c it was the cheaper route or b/c that's what "the crowd" is getting.........i research everything to the point of overkill before i make my purchases thank you......and the JWT clutch and flywheel by far was the best setup that i could find........JimWolf is like the god of nissan tuning......i will gladly buy a JWT product over any other product in the world anyday......i simply trust them more than anybody else........they also have incredile tech support if you need it........all i know is that when i was getting ready to buy my clutch setup i asked around......even David said the only one worht buying is the JWT

Late,
Daniel

·
Vibrant Blue Navy
773 Posts
i wasn't pounding you...sorry to come off that way...and i'm not bashing jwt at all...i know they are a very good company, and have supported nissan enthusiasts for a while now. my family has owned nissans for a long time, and my previous car was a turboed '91 SE-R (God rest her 340whp soul) that had JWT and Stillen (when they were a true Nissan enthusiast company) products included in my setup. i would definitely go with JWT products again, and know they make some great stuff, and have great tech support. all i was saying is that don't say the guy got "raped" because he bought a clutchmasters. trust me, they make some great stuff too and have been making performance clutches and flywheels for a long time. i don't have either one so i don't know which one is better but i'm sure the clutchmasters isn't crap and the guy didn't get ripped off. i haven't heard any testimonies from people with their product disliking it, so unless they are going downhill like some companies do I am still under the impression they are a leader in the field. i don't know what i'd go with when my stock clutch goes out and i'm ready to change the flywheel and clutch. someone may even step forward and give input on ACT's products. anyways, sorry to get spun up, and glad to hear that jwt makes a well-designed clutch system and flywheel.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I never said his decision was crap. I simply stated for a little more money, he could have gotten a more complete upgrade. I can't wait to shed the weight off of the car.

·
Registered
894 Posts
JWT Clutch and Flywheel from Jamie at Powertechimports, and so far 5 months boosted and the car drives perfect.. The clutch feels nearly like the stock one but grabs like e mofo.

·
Endless USA S13 Silvia
3,084 Posts
its all good mike.......just wanted to make sure everything was clear;).......i wasn't saying he got raped b/c he bought a clutchmasters.....i was saying that b/c i personally feel that 550 just for a clutch kit is way too expensive when you can get a clutch AND flywheel for 670 ya know........especially when our stock flywheel weighs in at 30lbs :eek:.......trust me.........the difference b/t the stock flywheel and JWT flywheel is like hondas and nissans:D

Late,
Daniel

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sunburst03 said:
i was saying that b/c i personally feel that 550 just for a clutch kit is way too expensive D

Late,
Daniel

you get what you pay for, i picked up the clutch today and construction wise its flawless, its going to be installed tomorrow along with motor mounts....i dont think i got raped on the price at all....ive got all the "overpriced" nismo stuff, and im yet to have any problem whatsoever from any of them....the one item i cheaped out on initially (exhaust) has cost me more in the end to correct than just buying the nismo catback in the first place....not to say that the jwt isnt as good as the clutchmasters one, im not sure yet since i cant find anyone who has had one installed....clutchmasters has a flywheel too that cost more than the jwt does, but if their construction is the same for the flywheel as the clutch then it would be worth the extra i think...plus the stage 3 clutch is designed specifically for high boost and n20 applications, 2 catagories my car will fall into soon enough

·
Project disco potato
680 Posts
Sunburst03 said:
its all good mike.......just wanted to make sure everything was clear;).......i wasn't saying he got raped b/c he bought a clutchmasters.....i was saying that b/c i personally feel that 550 just for a clutch kit is way too expensive when you can get a clutch AND flywheel for 670 ya know........especially when our stock flywheel weighs in at 30lbs :eek:.......trust me.........the difference b/t the stock flywheel and JWT flywheel is like hondas and nissans:D

Late,
Daniel

LOL!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts