B15 Sentra Forum banner

Smelly 2001 SE

939 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  01'wife'sSEw/pp 
#1 ·
Hey,

My car has about 4000 kms on it and when I have been driving in stop and go traffic (common in TO) and park the car, the cars exhaust reeks of sulfur/methane. I am not sure exactly what it is, I am assuming though that it is coming from the cat. Anyone else having this trouble (especially in Canada?) Let me tell you though... boy does it stink...

PB

------------------
Paul Both
2001 Sentra SE with Performance Package
http://www.aci.on.ca/~pboth/

#2 ·
I had that happen to me once when I let my friend drive the car. I don't know if he was burning the clutch or what but it stunk and I was so puzzled that I thought something was already wrong with the engine. If your car is manual then you must be doing the same thing but if it's automatic, then I don't know.

My car has been fine. I never ever smelt that funky smell when I drive it.

------------------
"Haters Hate This."
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
chinotoonice@aol.com

#3 ·
Hey PB I got the same problem 2. I live in GTA 2. I find the problem wores when weather is cold and the traffic(DVP)is bad. I think the smell comes from somewhere under the hood. next time you smell it. try to look under the hood.

------------------
B15-SE w/ sport package.
5spd. Black.

[This message has been edited by rho2 (edited February 18, 2001).]

#4 ·
There was a post about this before. Almost all the sentra's did it. Happened to me a lot in the first 4000 miles but from 4000 to 5000 (which I have currently) I don't smell it at all.

------------------
2001 Black Sentra SE with Performance Package, JWT pop cone intake, neon ground effects, clear turn signal bulbs

#6 ·
I think a lot of people have that problem... I think it's the material from the cat burning off when it's new and you drive it hard.. i had the smell when i first drove my car hard, but it's gone away since then

------------------
2001 Sentra SE, Window Tint, Razo carbon fiber pedals, SMC short shifter, Energy Suspension shifter bushing, Stillen front air dam, Place Racing CAI, K&N breather

#7 ·
i had that same problem in the start as well but it cleared up ,,,i now have about 11,000 miles on my car...

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

#8 ·
12,000 miles here and it still stinks! My Altima did it too and that was with about 80K on it, so I don;t think it will go away.later

------------------
Avalanche 2000 Sentra SE/PP, JWT POP, Advanced Timing @ 17 deg.,205/50ZR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730s

#9 ·
Hehe.....that Brings up a funny story with me also...I was driving my aunt and uncle home once and my uncle was sitting up front with me and my aunt was sitting behind him and when we stopped at a light...the smell started....i was thinking to my self( aww hell no...no that shi* again) and this time it was hard core! So my uncle opens up the vanity mirror and looks at his wife and goes "Dammit what did i tell about doing that in front of people!?!"....i almost died laughing.....just thought i would share my story!

------------------

Chopped...But one day it will be seen like this!

#10 · (Edited)
All that any of you are experiencing is the smell of a rich engine. The extra gas burns off in the catalytic converter. You all smell it when you are placing a load on the engine.... As a test, go thrash on your car for a few minutes and stop at a stoplight, you will usually smell it. It is nothing wrong with your car....
DO NOT bring it to the dealer for this.... and waste your money....

I have a dump pipe on my 92 240 and I never smell it anymore, but I do get a backfire every once in a while... And when I put the cat back on, it smells like that once in a while, but No backfires.
Tim

GEEZ, I didn't realize this thread was 7 months old... oops

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.