B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the ride of the car improved any? Are there any drawbacks to the install and total ride of the sentra? How hard is the install? How much for the SMC package? What is the best shift knob out there (in your opinion)?

-iLL

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
i don't know too much about the install,,,but i drove a car that has had a shorter shifter put into it and i personally noticed that you can shift into the gears alot quicker,,it took less time and effort to shift.....and it made the whole shifting process easier.......

------------------

Black 2k SE Performance/package with 17x7 Konig-Caffeine's,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,remote starter,and Tint,APC Super white headlights and fogs,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,and soon to be added Stromung cat-back......

CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1428062&a=10696175

·
Registered
259 Posts
ride is not affected. it is a shifter, not shocks/struts, springs or a suspension peice.

it's function is to shorten shifts. SMC package s/b around $100 or so and install is not difficult, just time consuming. i have a write up on my site under installs if you would like to see it.

as far as shift knobs go, i am a firm believer of function over form. if you get one that just looks cool and feels like crap in your hand when you shift, then what good is it. i have the momo race leather and love it thanks to www.importpartsplus.com

------------------
MY PAGE

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I recently installed an Arospeed shortsifter and a Razo 3way adjustable shifter.... the install had a couple of problems....the shifter bearing bolt didnt fit so we had to use some other one so its not that tight. also didnt fit through that circle so we grinded the whole bigger. It makes a loud *** noises in between gears. Shift is cleaner though.... chirps harder 1st to 2nd... its like 1st 2nd 3rd 4th then pull out 5th and reverse.... it doesnt just sit in the center,.... sits on 1st and 2nd side

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
im having the a similar prob installing my razo CF shift knob. IM looking at the thing and wondering how the f*ck is it stay on cuz those plastic pieces that come with the razo dont have any threads. Not to mention that i really f*ckd up the stocker just trying to get the knob off. I was hoping i could put the razo on until i get my short shifter from SMC but im thinking if i ever get this razo knob on it will prolly never come off.

------------------
*Josh*
Hotshot Header, PR CAI, Unorthodox Pulleys, & Custom Exhaust

·
Registered
259 Posts
darkside,

does the knob come with allen screws? if so, you don't have to use the plastic sleeves. just slide the shift knob over the shifter and tighten the allen screws down.

hope this helps

------------------
MY PAGE

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
all it came with was this notched pieces of plastic that locked into the desired position. Thats all it came with...loving the damned japanese directions too ;p

i can get it on by force and a lil loctite but it will prolly never come off.

------------------
*Josh*
Hotshot Header, PR CAI, Unorthodox Pulleys, & Custom Exhaust

[This message has been edited by DarKsiDe_SE (edited February 08, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
this plastic thing is what you use to screw. the #10 fits most imports. Just place the knob on, and twist........ your supposed to make your own thread

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Nology Hotwires - Hotshot header and CAI on the way!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
well, i cut my boot off and put a momo shift knob on it.

wrap the shift knob in a towel one you get it out of your car. roll your car over the shift knob so the end that bolts in is facing out. put a long, strong screwdriver or something comparable thru that end and try to twist it loose. some members have had success that way. others have used pipr wrenches. if you have to cut it off, an OEM knob will cost $35.00, cheaper from courtesy nissan.

------------------
MY PAGE

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
we used narly *** pliers and totally f***ed up the leather.... then we cut up the rubber knob and twisted off the plastic thred that is practically melted on. The procedure was quite messy........ but well worth it... Changed to a short shifter from Arospeed and a Shift Knob by Razo

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Nology Hotwires - Hotshot header and CAI on the way!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts