B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just purchased an '01 se with pp (radium). i love the car but if the '02 ser costs around the same price i payed for the se then i am going to really wish i waited. well i guess its to late to look back now, im just going to be happy with what i have. when i get back from vacation im going to install eibach sportline springs, that will mark my first mod. on my new se.
i still think deep down inside im going to wish i waited.
my previous car was a '96 gxe.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
no future in wishing you did something else...

The engine in the SE is as good as it gets. Whether you have the 2L ore 2.5 there's lots of vehicles out there that will blow both of them away. I love mine-wouldn't even consider the 2.5. I'm mainly into the reliability, durability, and economy. Plus its got enough to dust off Joe sixpack in his pickum-up truck/SUV.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
There's always going to be something better. Always. You can't win, so be happy withyour Honda Killer! I love my car to death, and hope I never hear anyone telling me I should have waited, because our cars rock.

·
Registered
816 Posts
If you are the type of person that wants to mod your car, then the SE is a fine choice cuz the SR20DE is a more modifiable engine (as soon as JWT gets us our ECU!!!) The SE-R can't be beat out in stock form. It's a real bargain if you think about it...but it stops there...the QR25 is not an easily modded engine. But like you said, you have the SE...just make the best of the situation and start modding away!!! :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yeah, you'll be very happy with your car. The SR20DE is a very strong, easy-to-modify engine with years of testing behind it. There's tons of modifications out there and the SR20DE has been proven to be able to produce gobs of power. The QR25 is a great engine, but no one knows how well it will respond to modifications. It's very likely that such a new engine will be choked up with emissions equipment, and it will probably take while for the aftermarket to get anywhere near where the SR is at today. Also, the engine looks to be a very tight fit, so that makes adding a turbo down the line a bit of a trick. I would also point out that buying a car in the first year of production is usually a mistake. There are lots of details that need to be worked out before a car is really solid and reliable. Plus, the SE-R doesn't get that cool spoiler and front until 2003 anyway. I think you made a good choice, and if you decide down the line that you really want a 2.5 litre, it ought to be an easy swap.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you guys are right, i need to stop bitchin and just get to business. Thanx for setting me straight, next step is getting through that first 1000 mi.

·
Registered
169 Posts
everything you said is true. But if the QR is anything like its big brother VQ it may do much better than many people think when it comes to mod it. Unfortunatly it will be choked by emissions equipment. We can thank the california hippes for that.

Comapring NA engines the extra .5L of displacemtent will come in handy with the extra torque wich is one thing that kills the SR. Espically below 3K which is where the sr is the weekest.

If my company maes its quarterly bounus within the next 12 months I may consider just taking the loss and buy a SE-R provided the interior gets a lettle better.

doc

samo said:
The QR25 is a great engine, but no one knows how well it will respond to modifications. It's very likely that such a new engine will be choked up with emissions equipment, and it will probably take while for the aftermarket to get anywhere near where the SR is at today. Also, the engine looks to be a very tight fit, so that makes adding a turbo down the line a bit of a trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts