B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing an 02 spec v. I went for a test drive and never got it put of 4th. When I got back to the dealer, I forgot until the last minute and I cycled through the gears, but couldn't find 5th or 6th. Reverse works without a lockout. The previous owner put a cheap autozone knob in the car. Is this an issue with the car or am I just not finding it myself (driver error)? I've read post about bushings, kinks in the linkage, and so forth. Also are spec V gears that close together? There is almost no space between 1st, and 3rd? Thanks in advance guys

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
2,679 Posts
ooo, yes the gears are very close, and having a 'rocky' gearbox is normal. its possible you may not be finding the gears as they are a lot closer than in most cars. it takes some time to get used to, but you should be able to cycle thru the gears with the motor off. just get 5th, and drop straight down to 6th. and as posted in other thread, the 02-03 does not come with a reverse lockout.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I just went back to drive the car and great news, I found all 6 gears! And i68K you were right, the gears are EXTREMELY close. From 4th to 5th felt like 3rd. The same for 6th, it felt like 4th. There is a slight grind on the downshift from 4th to 3rd from time to time. I've heard it's normal. Is it?

· Registered
2,679 Posts
when your grinding while downshifting to 3rd, it isnt normal operation, but is a common problem. normally this can be fixed by adjusting the weight or leveling/changing of the gear oil. given the car is fairly old, it may just need a gear oil change, the specs are in the fsm. are you in a warm climate or cold? usually redline mt-85 is a good replacement, there are other redline fluids as well.

after youve changed your gear oil:
like said, grinding 3rd is a common problem, but you can normally correct this while youre driving by rev-matching your shifting, throttle control, or by convincing it into another gear then back to 3rd. in the 02-03, sometimes reverse is very difficult to get in, where you can convince another gear instead and return to reverse. you can fix the reverse issue by letting the car roll very slowly, normally less than an inch and it will fall into reverse, this is an absensce of synchro issue, but this shouldnt be the case for 3rd gear.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of this info is amazing! The grind doesn't happen often, nor does it deny me from accessing 3rd. I can just hear the grind. I live in Illinois. It's very cold out now. I plan on purchasing the car because everything else is rock solid. So I will definitely change all the fluids to higher quality ones. Thanks again for all your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.