B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from a stop light just shifting through the gears then the shift just went loose a thought a cable snapped but as shown by videos the cables are fine.

Seems to be alot of slop in whatever the cables actually move I assume that's the culprit unless it's tranny internals.

Not sure what to do from here and looking for some advice

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have a look underneath your car in the area where the shift cables come out of the tunnel and past the fire wall. The shift cables have a bracket that bolts them to the underside of the car in the area where the underside of the floor pan/tunnel transitions into the fire wall. It braces the exterior sleeve that the shift cables run through, so that when you move the gearshift, only the cables within the sheath move and not the whole bundle. This bracket that fastens the cable assembly at the end of the tunnel acts as a kind of leverage/fulcrum point for the assembly.

Provided that every this else seems intact and functioning like it should, this is likely the culprit. I replaced the whole cable assembly with a new OEM when I replaced my engine, flywheel, and clutch on my 06 Spec a few months ago. Here’s a basic rundown of where the shift cable assembly routes, moving from the interior of the car to the exterior. I’d check these in order:

-Make sure the cable bushings attaching the cables to the gearshift inside the car are intact and secured
-Make sure the cables are clicked into the plastic gearshift surround and that the C-clip retainers that secure them in place are present and are properly clipped in their slot
-Make sure the bracket and 10mm fastener that attaches the cables to interior car floor (just before the rubber grommet on the cable assembly, under your center console area, where the cables exit the interior of the car and route through the tunnel underneath) are intact and secured.
-(My guess) Make sure the bracket that attaches the cables to the underside of the tunnel/floor pan, around the area where the tunnel transitions into the fire wall, is intact and the 10mm secured.
-Make sure the shift cable bushings are intact and the cables properly secured to the transmission shift selector on the top of the transmission.
-Make sure the shift selector mechanism itself moves properly-rotates, moves in and out-and that it doesn’t have any looseness, excessive movement, etc.

That’s the run of the whole mechanism, so your problem resides somewhere along that route. I’d also inspect the whole of that plastic baseplate to which the gearshift affixes. Anything that flexes or moves when you move the gearshift is problematic; the only things that should move when you work the gear lever are the lever itself, the shift cables inside the sheath (and not the external sheath itself), and the shift selector on the top of the transmission (under your air intake tubing, inside the driver’s side strut tower). My guess is that bracket that attaches the cables to the body underneath the car has come loose, or that the bracket has bent, broken, or rusted, allowing the whole cable assembly (sheath and all...) to move where it should be held in place and firmly affixed, and with that movement causing your vagueness, slop. Anywhere the cable assembly should be held static, but has movement, can create sloppiness, vague shifting, etc. Hope this helps man, good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts