B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, Quick question:

Should i really go to the nissan dealership to get my oil change? Or will any shops oil change work the same? I have a friend who works at a shop and can hook it up but my parents say its way better to get it done at nissan. Any input? Thx.

·
<< MiSo, on theVboard >>
357 Posts
nissan uses better filters. most places charge between 20 and 30 bucks. its better to get it done at nissan because they keep records.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
I'm not arguing with last advice, but
If you have a reliable place-you can go there. You can give them a Nissan Oil filter. Keep the receipt as a record.

·
Registered
71 Posts
for the cost of the Nissan Oil change around here, I go to Walmart and bring my own oil and filter and only pay $6 for the labor. I use Amsoil Oil and Filter for the best protection. I use the best oil and the best filter on the market and still pay less than Nissan charges. My own opinion.

·
powershifting through 6th
1,942 Posts
i would not let the scumbags at nissan touch my car...they dont do a better job, your parents are telling you what society tells them...i dont want to be insulting them either right now =P

·
Registered
298 Posts
Depends on your dealer. Apparently OVO has some issues with his. I am quite pleased with mine, and I would have no problems allowing them to do oil changes, and I have in the past. I prefer to do my own oil changes though- synthetic oil changes are too expensive. If I drove fewer miles (I do about 24,000 mi. per year, mostly highway), I would probably use more frequent dino oil changes, in which case I might well let them do it. Around here a dino change is about $20 or so at Nissan (can usually get a coupon). Synthetic is $50, and while I might pay $10 so I can keep clean, for $25 I would rather pocket the cash.

·
Slappy McGear Slapper
913 Posts
Hey changed my oil myself for the first time today, but I didnt have any crush washers. SO I went to advanced auto and they gave me a part numebr for my car and I bought 2 of these kinda thick silver crush washers. Now when I took the drain plug out there was no such washer on it. There was a very thin copper washer on it, but I couldnt get it off so I figured it must be on there permanent and the last oil change person must have not used a crush washer. Was this correct? Or was that copper thing the old crush washer and I got the wrong kind? Its not leaking so I guess I'm OK, just wondering. Funny when I forgot to put the oil filler cap back on the tp and cranked the car, gave my engine a nice oil bath ( Me = idiot).

·
&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;
8,477 Posts
taking it anywhere is fine as long as you know whats goin down at the shop. make your friend use synthetic oil though :p

·
Registered
298 Posts
The copper thing is the crush washer. You can just leave it on there if you want- it will still seal fine. Nissan has used them for years- My father's 93 Sentra has them, and the crush washer still hasn't leaked after 11 years and 150,000 miles.

·
Vibrant Blue Navy
773 Posts
my dealer is great and always asks about my mods when i bring it in. i bring my own oil usually and have learned that the nissan filter seems to work better than the K&N i was previously using. Oil seems to be lighter after 2000 miles than with the K&N. Go figure. I also use Mobil 1 10W30.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I got to the dealer. Why? Because now everyone in their knows me quite well and the last time something facked up on my car (A mod) they fixed it all for me for free. My dealership is mod friendly and the guys that work their are all cool too.

I would say I have one of the better Nissan dealerships around.

My only complaint is when other dealers phone them to get a trade in quote they always low ball my car! Bastds.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Gandalf said:
Hey changed my oil myself for the first time today, but I didnt have any crush washers. SO I went to advanced auto and they gave me a part numebr for my car and I bought 2 of these kinda thick silver crush washers. Now when I took the drain plug out there was no such washer on it. There was a very thin copper washer on it, but I couldnt get it off so I figured it must be on there permanent and the last oil change person must have not used a crush washer. Was this correct? Or was that copper thing the old crush washer and I got the wrong kind? Its not leaking so I guess I'm OK, just wondering. Funny when I forgot to put the oil filler cap back on the tp and cranked the car, gave my engine a nice oil bath ( Me = idiot).
As akula said it will come off. You need to go around it with a very thin blade and pry a little and continue going around a couple of times. Next time get rid of the washer you put on.

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
Listen to ADC= he KNOWS his stuff.
You should get a new washer every time you change the oil, crush washer or copper. It's cheap peace of mind.
Learn to change it yourself, and you can use synthetic oil for the price of a dino oil change at a shop.
NO MATTER WHAT, USE NISSAN OIL FILTERS!
Many of us have tried K&N, etc. and come back to Nissan. They really do work the best.

·
Slappy McGear Slapper
913 Posts
Yeah it sealed fine, but next oil change I will def. take both washers off. Aslong as its not leaking its fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts