B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "Service Engine Soon" light is on right now.... just went off. I have about 17,400 miles on my ride.... didnt have the 15,000 mile check up done but every other one before that....

Has anyone had this light go on before? How do i get this fixed? Should I just go to the dealer and have them do my next service and see what turns up?

Does this light just go on when I need to change my oil or something?

Could it be my shift light?

Anyone with info would be a big help....

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would bring it in, I think you have a problem, that other guy thought it wasn't a big deal until he got it checked and his tranny had to be replaced, and there is no shift light, u know to shift when the rev limiter kicks in

[This message has been edited by Bonesmuggler (edited February 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Service Light has come on and off the past 2 months. Usually stays on for like 3 days and goes away. Happened twice so far.

------------------
2k Sentra SE Manual w/PP - Black

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm....... ill probably have my ride serviced... just like routine... then see what they say

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Hey, I'm the poor bastard that got a new tranny. This is probably not your problem because the code for that one won't reset. Some of the codes will. But I agree-get it it checked. If they can't figure it out go to a dealership who can. SDsr20de858 since u live in Calif. I can't help you on a dealership. Mine's good here in York, Pa.

Later

O did I mention : after I got the car back with the "remanufactured" tranny in it I check the oil(in trans) 100 miles later. It was 1/2" below the low level!!! (*^%*&()%^$&*(*)%*)()(&^%$ Dealer!!!

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans
Car partly remanufactured
(Sarcastic comment)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats nissan for you... tryin to get you back sooner for morE $$$$$$$!!!!!!

------------------

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are they used to seeing moded cars or something?

------------------

·
Registered
20 Posts
My service engine light came on also. I took it in for an oil change and had the dealer check it out. They got a printout from the car computer and it said I was at 6200rpm at about 50mph, or so. The light will come on if you over rev it during the 'break-in' period. They re-set it and everything is fine. I just have to stop over-reving or bumping into the fuel shut-off. THAT is a wierd feeling when the fuel management system cuts out. Hope this helps.

------------------
doug

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ahhh... that could be it.... you dont even know how many times i hit the damn fuel kut off....... damn rev limiter....

you think i can reset it by unhooking the battery?

Jim Wolf... are you there... we could use a new chip please!!!

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Arospeed Shortshifter

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Unhooking the battery will not help for those codes that do not go away by thenselves. Those that do will go away if the condition clears after a number of runs at temperature. The othere require a scan tool found at dealer and some garages.

LaterAl

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans
Car partly remanufactured
(Sarcastic comment)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i see.... welp.... i guess... off to the dealer!!!

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Arospeed Shortshifter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey, I had the same problem happen with my sentra when I had less than 100 miles on it. I checked the book first for some clues and low and behold it told me this could happen if I get gas and dont tighten the gas cap all the way, and sure enough I had just gotten gas the prior week. I tightened my gas cap and within about a weeks drive the light went off. I had even called the service dept and asked if that could have been the problem and they told me yes, and that it would take a few rides in the car before the system rechecked and reset itself, since the system does periodic checks on itself, and if the gas cap is not tight it will make the check engine light come on thinking there is a emissions, or air intake problem. Im not sure if that could be your problem but thought I would put it out there because from what the service tech told me this is a very frequent problem.

------------------
Sentra 2k XE, 4dr.,5spd, no performance mods yet,xenon super white headlamps,fogs soon to come...,Stereo w/amp, 10 disc cd changer, seperates in the front,

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well damn.... and i just gased up last night and low and behold... no gas cap!!!!!! my irie *** probably forgot it at the gas station last time i gased up. I bought a new one last night...... i hope my light will go off soon... i'll let you guys know

------------------

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Hey man, how could you loose that cap?? Isn't it fastened to the filler pipe?? Mine is. Did you rice out with an aftermarket cap?? He-he.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that damn little strap broke like the first week!!!!!

------------------

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Take the bastard back!!!!!! Yet another quality Nissan part Dude.

Al

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
what gas is everyone running??

would changing octanes make my service engine soon light go off? i just recently changed from 87 to 89... i guess i just wanted to prepare my ride for my headers and cai....???? just thought it would help??? should i advance my timing to 15 degrees to compensate?

------------------

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SDsr20de858:
that damn little strap broke like the first week!!!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The tether on mine detached itself from the car the 2nd week I had it. The screw that anchors it to the car had worked loose.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thats nissan for yah!!

------------------

1 - 20 of 23 Posts