B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone Driven or own one with an 4 EAT? I know many find the auto to be disgusting but I drive a lot in traffic and I just prefer the Auto. How is it? I own a Civic DX HB Auto and its so lethargic it makes me barf. Does the Sentra have some pep in it or is it dull as well??? Please help me, I'm moving out and need a new reliable car and the Sentra is in my Budget. Thanks!

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Just my opinion..

An auto will never compare to a 5 speed in terms of driving excitement. You must be prepared to accept that. I am 55 yrs old/retired and have had my fun in the sun with manuals- but I miss the 5 speed in this car. Just make sure you can deal with auto.
Now - having said that the auto is a very good one. I owned a Corsica auto with a lot more HP and this auto is much tighter and responsive. I have not taken it above 6K yet but at 4K it starts to feel very good. If you can deal with an auto- this one will work for you. As I have said a number of times this ride will still get you out in front of joe sixpack and any SUV or Pickup he is driving- with the SE auto. BTW we are talking the SR20DE here only. I have heard the auto 1.7? is somewhat of a slug.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well...back in July of 2000, I test drove an SE/PP w/Auto Tranny and although peppier than a Honda Civic EX 4-Speed Auto I did notice a lack of low end punch until it kicked down and it was somewhat satisfying to feel some grunt. Flooring it provided a lot of tire noise and some commotion until it took off like a dog in heat.

It wasn't until I test drove the 5 speed version of the same car that this is the only way to experience this ride. Surprisingly, rowing your own gears is as easy as slicing thru butter with a hot knife! The clutch is light, gearing is exceptionally well spaced. The only complaint is that 1st gear is a little notchy.

My recommendation is to go with the MT and save yourself $500 bucks or whatever it costs now for a
AT.

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
Where do you live? Is there alot of traffic? I drove a stick for years and loved it, but leaving in the Chicagoland area wears ya down. The Auto is nice I enjoy it. It doesn't really kick in until it climbs, but you learn ways around that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I work in the Seattle/Bellevue Washington Area so traffic is pretty bad. I commute over 1 hr a day of total driving and I want an Auto so I can relax and just drive. Also , I'm kinda lazy..... I just want something that is more peppier than my HB(100hp) with the exhaust on it. It's so friggin slow going up hills..I hate it.

Anyone Driven a Corolla S?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have posted before on this tranny. As slush boxes go, it is pretty good and I have found that you can stir it a bit and make it go pretty quick. It sounds funny but the over-drive button on the shifter is pretty handy when you want some engine braking, it does an admirable job (not like a stick but still better than most).
The Corolla S is nothing more than a badge, spoiler and maybe a sportier steering wheel. The motor stays the same through the whole line. The car is well built/dependable, and somewhat refined for its class but has no sporting qualities to speak of.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Friends don't let friends drive slushboxes......:p

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
I infact do own a SE w/ PP automatic. It is peppy, but won't keep up with the 5spds. (It did handle my friends V6 5Sp 96 Mustang ok.) Acceleration of the line is good in 1st and 2nd, after that it takes some coaxing to get some power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts