B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been car shopping and the Sentra is on my short list so I'm trying to find out more about it on the web. After scanning this board over the last couple months, the two main problems people seem to have with the Sentra are chipping paint and bad gas mileage. What's odd is that over on the Edmunds board these problems don't seem to come up much (unless I haven't dug deep enough into their archives).

Since the paint thing really concerns me, here's my question: what percentage of new Sentra's do you think will have the paint chipping problem? Is it more common on certain colors? I know there is no definte answer for this... I'm just looking for opinions based on your Sentra knowledge and experience. Any insight into the poor gas mileage would also be helpful.

By the way, of all the forums I've visited, you people are by far the nicest and most helpful. If this is a sign of the overall Sentra community, that's very encouraging.

And one more thing: what does "B15" mean?

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
nice to see another floridian here. as far as the paint issue, i haven't had a sigle problem yet. i am lucky enuf to live where there is no salt or snow on the roads. i have also been averaging about 300-320 miles out of a tank.

my paint color is radium, BTW.

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
b15 is the chassis designation. b15 is the 2000+ bodystyle. b14 is 99-95, b13 is 91-94, also reffered to as the classics. if you ever want a used sentra, the b14 se-r or b14 200sx se-r are the ones to watch for. (no offense to the ga16'ers)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi i have a 96 sentra

And the paint chips off that is true the gas milage isnt as good as i thought it would be but its not bad. I still love my car alot tho hope this helps :)

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
To be fair, the traffic at Edmunds site isn't that much compared to here, and is of a different breed of posters.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I've got the GXE with a 5 speed, and the mileage is excellent. I don't push it as hard as some of the SE people here do, but it has good enough performance for me. I've got almost 35K on it, and over that time I've averaged about 34 mpg. I've got a strange commute, about a third bumper to bumper freeway, about a third twisty freeway, and the rest high speed suburban. The paint does seem to be a bit thin. Before I put on the mudflaps, the lower sills were getting dinged up pretty badly.

I'd buy a sentra again today, but I'd think a lot harder about the SE.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think the paint problems are not necessarily from the salt they throw down on the road but from all the cinders that come with it. (cinders - small pieces of gravel mixed with salt and thrown down on icy roads to increase traction - in other words, the snow and water freeze around the gravel and form a sandpaper like surface in the event of freezing) ~pheewwwww!~ ~who cares anyway~ lol Anyways, if you don't get the P/P, which I highly advise you DO get (and if you choose an SE), you can always have mudflaps put on. And, last but not least, my gas mileage is great, esp. because I shift at an average of 4000RPM's.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have noticed a few chips in the paint but not to the extent that others have had...however I didn't like those few one bit...

About the gas mileage...no problem for me...I have a GXE W/Lux Pkge and also an auto so yes it could be better but past couple of times I got about 30-31 miles per gallon...I don't think that's too bad :D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
well I am very pleased with this car, I have the 2000 Se with Performance Package. I have about 10000 miles on it and have great gas mileage. I also have the 5 speed, and in the cold Minnesota winter I got about 27 mpg and right now with the warm air am getting about 32 mpg. This is with a real light foot. I occasionally stomp on it, especially since getting the CAI, but still haven't seen a dramatic decrease in mileage. I've also got the midnight black paint. While I've only got a few miles on it the paint looks pretty good still. I got the good end though, since my car got hit by a hailstorm and has $4000 in damage, needless to say I get a brand new paint job, and it's covered by insurance.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
4000 miles on car.

I had the auto trans replaced in the first few hundred miles. The car is fine now. No problems with my paint yet. It may be a problem down the road though from what I have heard. If true Nissan will probably be forced into a repaint. Thats speculation though.

Most of the posters here are young and drive aggressively so gas milage will be lower. I have the SE (auto) I have gotten as high as 38 on a trip and get 26 to 30 in suburban driving. The gas milage is fine, unless there is a problem with the engine alignment or something. The build quality is very, very good. I've owned 13 cars already going back to a '57 chevy and this one could be the best.

Interior quality, panels etc. is probably the weak point of the car. Materials are a bit on the cheap side. I think with good care and good cleaning and preserving products like "Vinylex" they'll be O.K.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot to mention...

Thanks for all the feedback. I forgot to mention that I also checked the 50 or so comments over at epinions.com for 2000 & 2001 Sentras and no one mentioned any paint chipping problems. It's starting to make me wonder if this problem isn't really that widespread. Or maybe it has to do with where you live.

Anyhow, I think I've narrowed down my car choices to a Sentra and an Accord coupe. Yes, I know they're not normally shopped against each other, but I don't like the new Civics. The Accord coupe is very sharp and nice inside. I just need to decide if its worth $3000 more!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well....I think we are all anal!

About our cars, that is. The people who post on these other sites are probably different. I suppose that most of the people here are really into their cars, so we notice every little imperfection because we love them so much.

·
Registered
123 Posts
what is the "Edmunds Board"

·
Registered
100 Posts
My comments are late, but here they are

My car has just a few thousand miles on it at this point. I don't think my engine is completely broken in yet, since my mileage is slowly but surely creeping upward according to my fillup/mileage log. I keep records of both mileage and fillup amount, and calculate from there. I got around 29 MPG on the last tank, and my first couple of tanks were 27.5. I've heard that the SR20DE takes as long as 10,000 miles to fully break in and get killer mileage. Not sure how accurate that is, but certainly something to consider.

As far as paint, the only time I noticed any paint damage was from door ding and a rock chip.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Re: I forgot to mention...

FLdude said:
It's starting to make me wonder if this problem isn't really that widespread. Or maybe it has to do with where you live.

Anyhow, I think I've narrowed down my car choices to a Sentra and an Accord coupe. Yes, I know they're not normally shopped against each other, but I don't like the new Civics. The Accord coupe is very sharp and nice inside. I just need to decide if its worth $3000 more!
I live in Miami and I don't have the paint chip problem. Mileage is about 24-27 on average. I don't consider that bad and I expect it to improve.

About the accord coupe...I purchased the Jade SE in december with a hint of regret for the accord coupe. I weighed both of these cars against each other EXTENSIVELY! When I totalled the Jade SE in april, I was faced with the same decision. Should I purchase a new SE or get an accord. Since I had a somewhat long-term test drive of the sentra, I had a better base of comparasion. I though about it again and decided to get my new Granite SE.

How I looked at it: Both cars are great, and the performance difference is minimal. I considered these cars to be equal contenders (despite normal generalizations). I would rather a fully loaded SE, then a basic accord coupe.

SE/PP V. LX coupe
-16" RIMS/15"Hubcaps (ex rims are nice)
-4 wheel disc brakes/front disc,rear drum
-4drs/2drs (matter of opinion)
-DOHC/SOHC
-standard leather accents/available

I am sure that the accord has some stuff over the sentra, but this was my thought process. I don't regret getting another one, even though I think the accord looks SWEET!

·
Registered
5 Posts
For mix driving, I get 26-27 mpg. On a road trip, I got 32. It's perfectly within the EPA ratings, so I don't think you're being deceived or anything. I'm in TX, so we don't do salt and sand. My paints fine except for the door dings from the person at work who can't park right in her spot.

Oh, on the Accord thing, they have 2 advantages, IMHO. 1. They have insane resale values, so that extra couple of thousand will probably come back to you. 2. The back seat of the Sentra can be pretty tight. I'm 6', and only sub 5'6" people can sit behind me and not complain.

·
Registered
58 Posts
For me, ZERO problems in more than 9000 miles. I'm so extremely happy with this car (after driving a Ford Tempo, it doesn't take much though). I also have seen a steady increase in gas mileage the longer I've had it. I always fill up at the same station with the 87 octane, and I went from averaging in the mid 20s to about 30-31, with mixed city/highway driving.

[Edited by RadiumSE on 06-03-2001 at 07:58 AM]

·
Registered
169 Posts
my problems

well i some how got a bad rear shock. causing the rear end to be a bit loud. They replaced it, but it still wasn't quite right so they ordered one for the other side too.

The only other problem is that the vanity mirror on the drivers side didn't work when i got it. not a big seal to me.

I did notice a few paint chips when i detailed it today, but considering about half of my 4K miles is on the highway its to be expected.

On the highway I get ~30 mpg. City I'm closer to 20 because traffic in north jersey is retarded. I'm also a bit heavy footed with this car. It just doesn't have the torque that my 91 maxima had.

Doc

1 - 20 of 22 Posts