B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those of you who have advanced their timing (I know this has been beat to death, could not find answer in past posts) it appeared to me that seventeen degrees was somewhere between the second and third marks on the fly wheel. Am I correct in this assumption.? My mechanic whose knowledge I have learned to respect over the years, did disconnected my battery but felt it wasn't necessary to leave it disconnected for a half an hour (as previously posted). After adjustment he simply suggested that I take it for at least a 20 minute to half hour drive, to let the ecu figure out what was going on. It is somewhat subtle but I am quite sure I now have better throttle response. Adios Amigos

·
Registered
778 Posts
i believe its at the 3rd and 4th. stock is at 3rd right? well 15 TDC is stock so third equals to 5 degrees per mark. errr...i think. so the next mark should be 20.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Adios Amigos

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Lee Maybe you can explain this one to me. Without getting into definitions of advancing or retarding the timing, I discovered the following today, exactly opposite of the timing link you send me. When I turned the distributor toward the front of the car the timing arrow moved to the rear of the scale, when I turned it toward the rear of the car the arrow moved toward the front or right of the fly wheel. Assuming the scale is correct , from the front, I set it at just before the number two mark which should be sixteen or seventeen degrees. Very Strange Adios Amigos

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As per an explanation for my first posting, when I originally set my timing a few days ago, I had no scale to go by. Came to find out now that my car had been originally set at ten degrees when I moved the distributor forward(moving the arrow to rear or left of scale} by what looked to be two degrees I had actually set the timing at about seven to eight degrees not 16 to 17 degrees. Drove the car like that for several days,had no problems liked it actually a lot more torque. Will have to see what it is like now that I have it set at 16 to17 degrees. Adios Amigos

·
Chesse Curd Connoisseur
1,121 Posts
I had the same experience when I did mine. The VFAQ says to turn the dist. towards the fron of the car, but that actually retarded my timing????? I was using a programable Snap-On timing light. What gives? All set at 18 though:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well fellas I finally figured out the dilemma. The timing link is quite correct, our understanding however is flawed. When you turn the distributor toward the rear of the car thereby moving the arrow toward the front, or should I say to the right of the fly wheel increasing the value, we are actually retarding the timing not advancing it. Ill say it differently, when you increase the value from fifteen degrees to seventeen degrees, you are actually retarding the timing not advancing it. Therein lies the confusion. Adios Amigos::D

·
Chesse Curd Connoisseur
1,121 Posts
Ok, now I'm really confused. That didn't make a whole lot of sense to me:
Ill say it differently, when you increase the value from fifteen degrees to seventeen degrees, you are actually retarding the timing not advancing it.
If I understand you correctly, seeing how I did this the "wrong" way, I thoguht I had it set to 18 deg, but really I'm at 12 deg?

Using my friends programable timing light, we checked base timing; 15 deg. Using the "Timing Link", we proceded, but turning the dist. in a counter-clockwise manner(Towards the front of the car) it retarded the timing. Only by turning it clockwise(Towards the rear) would the timing advance.

Side note, @ 3,000rpms, I'm at 44 deg total advance:)

I'm NOT trying to start a flame war, I'm just want to make sure that I'm doing things right. I still have DSMs on the brain too, so that doesn't help either:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man oh Man its to early for me to!!!So we have the same point of reference :when you are at the right of the car ie as if you are checking timing.distributor to the rear retard to the front advance.This is actually a communication problem,when the values increase ,distributor to rear thereby moving arrow to right,we are retarding the {SPARK} [when the plug fires].15 degrees is the second mark from the right of fly wheel,17 is slightly before the second mark. Adios Amigos

1 - 11 of 11 Posts