B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a search to see if this had already been
discussed, and MAN the new search function is fast.
We don't have any more excuses Lee! :D

Anywhoooooo, it didn't show up, so here goes...

If my car has been sitting for more than a couple of
hours, I hear about 2-3 seconds of a very loud rattle
from the engine after I start it, and then it's quiet.
I'm assuming, based on the sound, that it is a timing chain noise.
Since noise = wear and tear, I'm kind of concerned about it,
but before I take it to the dealer, does anyone else hear something similar?

9000+ miles, 5W-30 Mobil 1, Mobil 1 filter.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I don't know what to say about the noise, but I must say that your sig is pretty cool. Very good use of creativity there.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just complying with David's request. :)

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
you know i'm in heaven with the new search function's speed! :cool:

ok, the noise you are reffering to, if you have an sr20de, is the infamous start up clatter. some do it some time, some all the time and some never. the sr20 has a history of that but with no ill effects. mine does it the day before i change my oil. it's like it knows and giggles. ;)

no one yet has pinpointed the source of the clatter, but as far as anything i've read, no damage has occured from it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well... that's good to know. I'll just have to get used
to cringing when I turn the key and hear that. :D

I'm not one to let noises like this go unchecked though,
so I think I'll investigate it myself.

Details at 11:00. :)

Thanks Lee.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
This clatter is more than likely...

the anti-drainback valve on the oil filter not keeping the filter full of oil when engine is stopped. It's not a crisis, but it means the oil is not getting to the bearings as fast as it should. Extra bearing wear will occur. If you change your oil the filter should be dripping oil even after several hours of shutting down the engine. I do not have the clatter and my oil filter had oil dripping from it (good thing). I intentionally left the filter on 4 or 5 hours after draining the oil to see if it was holding. It was the Nissan filter. Other filter brands may have leakage. Purelator Pure One supposedly has the best anti-drainback valves. Unfortunately Nissan chooses to have the filter horizontal and depends on this valve. Fords also are notorous for this. GM keeps most of their filters vertical, which is why they generally hold up better than fords (in my opinion).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That certainly a possibility, but I'm using a Mobil 1 filter, and based on my research,
the build quality is on par with the Purelator, so I don't have any concerns about the valve.
Besides, my garage floor is a testament to the fact that the filter is
containing the oil for a LONG time, since oil drips all over it every time I change it. :)

It's definitely not a bearing noise, and it's not a valve
train noise. I have to check the ESM to see if the 2.0 uses
a hydraulic timing chain tensioner... that's the way I'm leaning right now.

I sure would like to relocate that oil filter though... It just makes more sense to mount them vertically.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
UtahJ

I agree that the Mobil 1 Filter is a high quality one. I Used to use them. If pure One is not available I will use again. THey may in fact be just as good or better than Pure One. Their anti-drainback valve is not, however, as good. My Toyota 4W has the horizontal filter and clattered with the Mobil 1, but does not with the Pure One. Let us know about the tensioner.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Huh... interesting comment about the rattle you had with
the Mobil 1. I'll give a Pur. a try next oil change to
see if the noise goes away. Then we'll know for sure.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
503 Posts
OK -- so sorry for resurrecting this really old thread, but as you can see, I did attempt a search before starting a new thread.

I have a similar sort of issue with my car (2002 GXE automatic, 43400km ... yes I know that is insanely low) but I am not sure if it is the timing chain or not. Just curious to know if anyone else has experienced a similar issue.

When I first start my car's engine in the morning, I hear a short (about 5 seconds) grinding (rattling?) sound similar to that of an object brushing against a fan or pulley. This only happens on cold startups and (I think) sometimes when I accelerate away from a stop. I have checked under the hood but do not see anything loose or protruding that would cause this.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Kind of really hard to tell. Timing chains frequently make noise all the time when they are starting to go. Might be the anti-drainback valve leaking on your oil filter. Try a different filter.

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Nismo_Girl_2001 said:
I don't know what to say about the noise, but I must say that your sig is pretty cool. Very good use of creativity there.
Wow..thought Amy was in there. Guess she is married as of last weekend. Congrats Amy, if you are here. :)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
wow, i just had to contribute to a thread i mustve missed back when i joined and was in my postwhoring days. talk about bringing back the dead!!!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Here is a video to illustrate what I am referring to. The grind/rattle starts around the 11 second mark and lasts for about 25 seconds. I will do another video tomorrow with the hood open, however, the noise apparently originates from the driver-side of the car (away from the belts, pulleys, and the timing chain)? Any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CZMzsKf6nM

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine started doing something real similar, but it doesnt last that long I took it to the dealership and after 3 hours I was told that in 30 years he had never heard anything like it. He also said the belt might have a bad spot in it and to start replacing stuff to see if it helps. the belt is pretty new and isn't loose. mine does it on a cold start or even after a couple of hours too.

I also have some other rattle but i think it is the heat shield. it sounds like it is in the fender or right in front of the firewall on the passenger side. i was told that he didn't think it was a safety issue and that one of two things could happen....

it will either go away
or
become more distinct

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Hard to tell with long distance sound. Sounds pretty noisy but diagnosing it from a speaker is pretty hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
this has been happening to my 96 g20 p10t for about a year or so already. as soon as you start up has a loud rattling noise for a couple of seconds sounds like a rod knock but its not. it is a the timing chain rattling but its really not a big problem my p10 has about 185k miles on it drives hard still no big deal. The noise goes away becuase the chain starts to heat up and tighten up again, only happens on cold starts. i know alot of sr20's that have this problem nothing major.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts