B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would ask if anyone has tried them out? Becouse in a few weeks I will be installing them! I was told 11-15 horsepower out of them!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Are they specifically for B15's??? Who do I contact if so?

G

·
Uhhhhh....you will want to put your pocket book back in your pocket their partner. The B15 uses an entirely different valvetrain than the B14 SR20DE. They will not work. :D Sorry to rain on your parade.

JWT has some B15 cams prototyped, but they still need to be tested. Figure late fall or early spring next year when those will be available.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got off the phone with them and soposiblly they will work, You just have to adjust your tranny somehow. I found this out at a shop nearby and the shop is willing to put them in. You cold be right? There is only one way to find out!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
u do know that those s3 cams are intended for non roller rocker sr20's right? they wont work. Somebody just wants your money so they are telling you what you want to hear.

·
Registered
778 Posts
stop!!!!!

dont do it! it is totally not worth it. change your tranny? i think theyre tryin to make a few easy bucks there. the only was i think possible is the swap on a b14 head. if it work, great, 10 hp, if it doesnt, youre out a few grand. again, it aint worth it.

·
Registered
940 Posts
agree. b15 sr20de engine is different then the other b?? models. get written proof that is has been TESTED on the b15 engine!

there are more then roller rockers that have been changed. different crank bolts and bearings.

·
Registered
297 Posts
STOPPPPPP

Listen to max and the rest man, I am in good relations with JWT and the cams should be done in about 3 months, the problem is not a test car cuz they can get them easily, but it is something with the new billets. They told me that late September they should be done the R&D on them and begin marketing them, before then the only proper way to switch cams would be to get a head swap with S3 cams in it.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I would deffinetly listen to the others and wait for JWT's to come out,,,,Unless they are willing to give you written proof that they work and take full responsability......

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry everyone I went back to the shop today and when I got there I talked to someone else not only would I have to modify my auto I would have to change the head and the guy said he would do it and take full responsibillity. But I will just wait a few months and get the ones made for the b15. Thanks for the input!

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
modify your auto.... WHY?

I suggest not going back to that shop they don't seem to have a clue as to what they are talking about.

G

·
I think that is the shop that specializes in muffler bearings. ;) BTW, be sure to check those at every oil change! God knows what kind of transmission damage you can do when a muffler bearing goes out. :D :D

It sounds like that shop doesn't understand the differences between the old and new motor, or anything mechanical for that matter.

Just be patient and wait for the B15 cams.

·
Registered
21 Posts
CAMS FOR B15!
Well it would be really stupid to swap a B14 head onto a B15, you would lose the 5hp advantage you have now, I pretty sure your ECU would start Fin up with the different head on there.

Well if JWT comes out with cams for a motor with a 2 year production run more power to them (not good business sense), but dont expect the same gain from cams alone on the 2000+ motors because the valve springs and everything else in the valve train is lighter and most likely slightly weaker.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Do you know the 5hp gain is from the head? No one really knows where the gain came from. It could be lots of things. People who want cams right now though can swap the head.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dave you are correct that I do not know for sure that the 5hp gain is completely from the head, but other than the redesigned crank, the valve train is the only major difference between the motors. The gain sure as hell did not come from the exhaust system. Just saying that swapping heads could cause some serious issues for the ECU, which would be fine if you had the resources to reprogram the ECU. And you have agree that the B15s head will not hold up to the boost a older head would.

·
Registered
297 Posts
why not?

what the hell are you basing your assumptions on? the japanese sr20ve has the same design as ours except they have Neo VVL, there is already a project NX2000 with a sr20ve swap and turbo kit running like 250+hp to the wheels with no prob, the car is an automatic too, with tranny done by levelten. American cars like the 5.0L mustang and 5.7L chevy engine use roller rockers, and that seems to be holding up well for them, no-one really knows for sure where the extra 5hp came from, but it is a hell of a lot more than 5hp since our emission must pass 2006 emission standards and since our exhaust is more restrictive than previous years, the thing about the crank is just that the main girdle was lost, I think everyone who hasnt looked at the new sr20de technical info in a that past issue of SCC Magazine should do so immediately. In my opinion, the valvetrain on the new sr20de is better than the one on previous years, and the only thing that might be a problem is the loss of the main girdle, although tha loss of it helps reduce friction by windage losses, still, something might go wrong when developing over 15 or 20 pounds of boost in the bottom end area, I don't think anyone has ever really worried about the sr20 top end much, and I believe we shouldn't start to either. This is my opinion and some facts along with it, Thanks,
Juan CC

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dude dont get your panties in a knot. I never said that the head could not hold some descent boost, 225-250hp would most likely not be a problem. What the hell does that guys car with the SR20VE with turbo have to do with this conversation, have you ever read his web site, that motor is fully built. Plus 225-250 even at the wheels is a far cry from your:rolleyes: 800hp goal. hehe
I never said that roller rockers were a weakness, but as for your statement what the hell does a single cam roller 350 have to do with a roller DOHC motor. NOTHING!
Almost any amount of power can be made with an motor, its the technology that has to be discover and paid for. People have gotten high boost with the old head, but do you think that just came about, no it was through trial and error. Power never comes easy. I hope JWT does make cams for you guys I just dont see it making very much sense if they are gonna drop the motor from the line up.
I have a close friend with a 00SE, and he plans to turbo his car. I know that he will do his install and tunning the right way so I am sure he will have a very reliable and powerful car. He knows that if he wants 400hp out put he will most likely have to strengthen the valve train.

If the roller valve train ends up being able to hold up the same way the old valvetrain does then I guess I will just eat crow, big deal!!

I havent read the artical you speak of but did read every tech mag article about the B15 when it came out. And most of the articles did point out that after market cams would be very expensive to develope. And if I remeber correctly there were some other difference about the crank. I could be wrong but I really dont care since I will never own a B15SE.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts