B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys notice the difference of using softer compound tires. Have noticed the ratings vary from a relatively hard compound at 330 to the softer tires, rated at 180. Obviously the harder compound tires will last longer, but is there a noticeable handling improvement when using the softer compound tires. I used blizzacks on my 94 se-r during the winter, do not know the rating on the tires, but on dry pavement I remember it was like driving on four sponges . Adios Amigos

G

·
you have to be careful of equating a wear rating with gripiness. The Toyo Proxes T1-S has a wear rating of 280, but is a far better tire than the Yokohama A520 with a wear rating of 180. The Bridgestone RE730 is the same way. Higher wear rating, but extremely sticky. For reference, I believe the Firestone's have a wear rating of 300.

Wear ratings are established using very little mileage to determine long term wear. Obviously, it isn't practical for manufactures to drive a car for 10-20K + miles to see how long the tires will last.

Also, how you drive will effect wear even on a high wear rated tire. If you do autocrosses or drag racing, you'll experience higher rates of wear no matter what tire you use. Additionally, if your car has any alignment problems, or excessive camber from being lowered that will kill your tires quickly too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm using A520s on my B13 now. They are great tires and perform very well in both dry and wet - and my "wet" driving includes 5 months of heavy monsoon downpours! I hit a really big and bad puddle while running at 70mph - I fully expected the steering wheel to go limp, but instead I got this wierd feeling like the tires were searching for grip without really letting go.

The problem I have with the A520s is that they wear out pretty fast. I pretty much killed my A520s after just one day at the track.

I am seriously considering the Toyo Proxes T1-S's because of the better treadwear rating - but I don't want to give up the grip and wet/dry performance of the Yokos.

Has anyone used both tires and can give a good comparision between the two?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts