B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Bringin CA back
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry but I searched!

Last night, I took my car out for a drive and out of nowhere, my car's idle started to raise to about 950 rpm and jumped up and down to 760 rpm and back up...and then the fans started just goin off and on in like 30 second intervals...the car started to vibrate like i had motor mounts on or something and it felt like when a car is gradually going to stall out, so it vibrates like crazy. I haven't put on any mods to it for a while (i only have intake, header, and exhaust).

I also think I might have a lil leak or something from the header or exhaust because it sounds two metal parts hitting each other very rapidly when i accelerate at about 25% throttle, so I'm guessing it might be a lil leak that could possibly be related to this? I'm gonna try to tighten all of my bolts after my organic chemistry midterm this friday...but until then, anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
809 Posts
I had a similar problem in my car. 2002 spec v. Turned out that the good old pre-cat that was on before my mods destroyed my motor. I have a new one coming in tomorrow. Have nissan check it out you never know.

·
Bringin CA back
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aw ****......do u mean pre-cat as both the header and secondary pipe or just the secondary pipe? cuz i got both from obx...

·
Bringin CA back
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm well the o1 goes like this:
exhaust manifold--secondary pipe--cat--midpipe--axleback (muffler)

I drove around today and the idle issue seems to have disappeared...i'm not sure what it could have been, but I'm considering the idea of putting the stock exhaust manifold back on and get rid of the obx...just a thought though...

the leaking sound is still there, so i need to deal with that later...thanks a lot joob for responding.

if nebody has any ideas what it can be, can u plz post? thanks!

·
Bringin CA back
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
enyce07 said:
does the engine shake crazy? Also how many o2 sensors does your car have? Just want to know where you relocated your sensors... might have to do with it?
Umm...the engine does seem to shake a little bit more than before? I think the header has something to do with it...but yeah, anyways, I relocated it right after the second cat just like how I was told to?

The problem seems to have disappeared, but I still have this like buzzing sound when i gas it...i tightend up my catback where the midpipe meets the muffler, and it kinda seemed to help. I still have to try and tighten the header to secondary pipe. I can't describe that noise, but anybody have a clue what it is?

o yea, 2 o2 sensors...one on the primary header, second one on the midpipe right after cat. Shud I try resetting my ecu?

·
Registered
897 Posts
b0mberman said:
Umm...the engine does seem to shake a little bit more than before? I think the header has something to do with it...but yeah, anyways, I relocated it right after the second cat just like how I was told to?

The problem seems to have disappeared, but I still have this like buzzing sound when i gas it...i tightend up my catback where the midpipe meets the muffler, and it kinda seemed to help. I still have to try and tighten the header to secondary pipe. I can't describe that noise, but anybody have a clue what it is?

o yea, 2 o2 sensors...one on the primary header, second one on the midpipe right after cat. Shud I try resetting my ecu?
You should check out your gaskets where you installed the header onto the block... I think its 2 gaskets.. or 4.. can't remember... see if the header is completely tightened and the gaskets are in place... check also for the oxygen sensors in the header are tightened as well... hows the secondary pipe from the header to the cat. converter? Where exactly does the sound come from? under the hood or under the car?

·
Bringin CA back
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I installed a new thick gasket that OBX provided for me when I got the header. I checked the bolts from header to block and they're on pretty tight. I gotta check the o2 sensors again and then i'll see what happens...everythings seems ok, but just that sound is annoying...i can't pinpoint where the sound is coming from because at first, it sounds like near the cat...then it sounds near the rear, now it sounds like under the hood area...i can't quite pinpoint it sorry :p

·
Registered
897 Posts
b0mberman said:
Yeah I installed a new thick gasket that OBX provided for me when I got the header. I checked the bolts from header to block and they're on pretty tight. I gotta check the o2 sensors again and then i'll see what happens...everythings seems ok, but just that sound is annoying...i can't pinpoint where the sound is coming from because at first, it sounds like near the cat...then it sounds near the rear, now it sounds like under the hood area...i can't quite pinpoint it sorry :p
I would actually goto nissan and install the gaskets that they provide instead of an aftermarket type... thats what I did when I used to have my hotshot header.. never had any problems except for the o2 sensors ;)
Look for any holes in the piping? could be a leak somewhere...

·
Bringin CA back
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha it was very thin and covered the openings. I think it's different for the spec v's cuz i'm an SE :p

·
Tired...New Father
1,693 Posts
Personally I wouldn't want to run the OBX copy. I wonder about proper clearance from alt. and other misc parts.

Did you check all of your clearances...did you check the same with someone giving some throttle while in park...???

I would rather run with a company's product like HS that does good buisness, research, and is of great quality.

I know that the OBX will save some money now but...(well I'll jump off the soap box....sorry, didn't mean to rant)

·
Bringin CA back
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
009 -2.0 SE- said:
Personally I wouldn't want to run the OBX copy. I wonder about proper clearance from alt. and other misc parts.

Did you check all of your clearances...did you check the same with someone giving some throttle while in park...???

I would rather run with a company's product like HS that does good buisness, research, and is of great quality.

I know that the OBX will save some money now but...(well I'll jump off the soap box....sorry, didn't mean to rant)
yeah, that's true. I sometimes wonder if I should have bought the obx header...but I know it's not worth the hassle because I live in Cali and with [email protected] Azz carb on ppl's azz, it just draws me away from high priced quality products that i would have to constantly switch out for smog checks...

The clearance is fine...there's a lot of clearance from everything actually...I guess i'll just keep tryin to see wat it is...thanks everyone for helpin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.