B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my car has about 26,000 miles on it and the rock chips are really starting to show. I'm pretty sure we all have them. My car is littered with them in the front. I know a lot of them have come from all the highway driving I do, but don't you think Nissan should use better paint. I mean 25k miles your car should have what maybe a couple rock chips, not 100's.

So here is the question I pose to you guys/gals.

How many miles do you have on your car and how many rock chips do you have?

Have any of you tried to talk to the dealer and getting the car repainted? I need to look at the warranty info for this, but it seems a little absurd for it to be this bad already.

If we can't get anywhere with our dealers do we want to do a group petition to Nissan of America and see if they will hear a group of voices?

------------------
2000 Sentra SE performance package (radium)
Sunroof/Leather/Tint/Gas cap holder
SMC Short shifter

·
Registered
63 Posts
My sentra is about 2 months old, has 8 chips on the front with about 4200 miles on the car. There is a run in the paint where the fog lights are so I'm going to try to get Nissan to repaint the front end. it's worth a try.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 12,100 mile and had the car since October 2000. I dont have a lot of paint chips but the few I have are pretty damn big!
I think they used nail polish to paint our cars. My car is black so when I wax it the white wax gets stuck in the chips and looks like sh*t. I think of them as racing chips...it adds at least 6hp!

------------------
2001 Se PP
1998 Ford F-150 Lighting(For a Little While)
1998 Kawasaki 1100 STX
1998 Yahmaha GP 1200

[This message has been edited by MJ (aka) MJ2001SE (edited April 23, 2001).]

·
Registered
747 Posts
Dave, I'd love to do something about this, maybe even call the Better Business Bureau or something!

8,000 miles

thousands of paint chips on doors
about fifty on the bumber
ten on the hood
and the edge of my back doors is literally gone! (paint wise)

Went to the dealer about a month ago and they wanted my car for a day to "look" at it. (like it really takes a day) I let them have it about 3 weeks ago. Gave it back to me the same night. Told me nothing. Still have not called, and everytime I call, "they haven't recieved any new information on the vehicle yet."

I will do anything to get my car painted by them.

The thing is, do we really want the same paint again????? -- I sure don't!

Welp, that about sums it up!!!!!

------------------
2001 Black Sentra SE with Performance Package, JWT pop cone intake, clear turn signal bulbs, razo carbon pedals, neon cable interior kit :eek:) CUSTOM grille
PICS - http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1587801&a=12376730&f=0&vt=vp

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
Most of your chips are probably caused by trucks with bad mud flaps and trucks in general. I usually try to avoid the *** end of trucks. If the flaps are flapping (worn out and thin) its a matter of survival to avoid that guy. If you drive very fast you are going to get more chips and if you drive very slow you are going to get a lot. It's a matter of avoiding the *** end of trucks mostly. I have 3K on my car and have 3 or 4 very very small ones- none to speak of . I have the Cappuccino-I actually think the paint's OK. I have 3 coats of the Meguiar's #26 Hi Tech on, but I'm not really sure that helps. Their Medallion Poly Sealant is supposed to be super stuff. I wish I'd have put a coat under the #26. Maybe Zaino has something better- I'm not a 'Z' fan.

------------------
Plain Jane Cappuccino SE
with AutoTrans

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well I have had my car since 1/30/01 and I have seen alot of chips in my cars paint job.
mainly on the hood, but I do have some on the sides and around the fog light area. The paint job is soft there should be something they can do ?!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by adc100:
Most of your chips are probably caused by trucks with bad mud flaps and trucks in general. I usually try to avoid the *** end of trucks. If the flaps are flapping (worn out and thin) its a matter of survival to avoid that guy. If you drive very fast you are going to get more chips and if you drive very slow you are going to get a lot. It's a matter of avoiding the *** end of trucks mostly. I have 3K on my car and have 3 or 4 very very small ones- none to speak of . I have the Cappuccino-I actually think the paint's OK. I have 3 coats of the Meguiar's #26 Hi Tech on, but I'm not really sure that helps. Their Medallion Poly Sealant is supposed to be super stuff. I wish I'd have put a coat under the #26. Maybe Zaino has something better- I'm not a 'Z' fan.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually anyone that lives in New England like david and myself can tell you they use alot of rock salt/dirt to sand the roads it's not just the trucks it's the winter in general.....

But I have a few chips on my paint already,,,I actually have to re-paint one of the Stillen front spoilers because of a chip that went bad :(

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know what the chips are from. My main issue is the car is less than a year old and looks much older than that.

I called Nissan of America up and talked to a someone there. The way they go about covering it is you need to talk to the service dept at your local dealer and the serivice manager calls the a independent agency called AIC and they come out to inspect the paint. If they feel it should be covered under warranty they will advise the dealer it should be painted. You need to identify all the areas you think they should inspect though.

Basically you have to get through your dealer somehow. I know the dealer I bought the car at won't help me, so the best I can do is find another dealer who will hopefully be more responsive.

Hope this helps you all. This seems to the only recouorse you have to get things fixed.

------------------
2000 Sentra SE performance package (radium)
Sunroof/Leather/Tint/Gas cap holder
SMC Short shifter

·
Registered
104 Posts
Only chips I have is from the body shop that repaired and painted my hood, bumper and left fender. Both have one chip, but I think this is caused by a pebble of somesort being in the paint job in the first place. It was really good looking at first, now that the pebble is gone, it's showing metal. They are really small. :(

------------------
Marvin, aka Original Mr Sentra
2000 Nissan Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 spd, Avalanche
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake
"Hey guys, drive safe and no accidents!"

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well I've already b|itched about this in a previous post. At the time I think I had around 12k mi. and my car is still less then 1 yr old and I also have tons of chips in my front end. I do half highway driving. I think the paint just plain sucks. One time I was doing something on the car and BARELY touched the paint with a wrench by accident and it chipped... this seriously should not have cause damage but it did. I am very unhappy with the paint. I wonder if the SE-R's will have a better job.

------------------
- JC -

2000 Sentra SE 5-spd, Sunroof, in Radium

M

·
0 Posts
My Car has 5,000 miles on it and is 4 months old.

I have several rock chips on various spots on the hood currently. My front bumper is being repainted as we speak. Because the paint job was so bad, there were MANY (probably around 40) sizeable rock chips across the bumper. It was really noticeable on my car because the bumper material is black, and my car is white. My bumper looked like a Dalmation! :D

The sides of my car are still doing remarkably well. There aren't that many rock chips yet. The leading edge of the sideskirt (just behind the front wheel) is completely trashed though. In addition, the rear bumper is trashed just behind the rear wheels.

I am NOT impressed with the paint quality on the car. My front bumper has already been repainted on a 4 month old car. I suspect that the rear bumper will have to be repainted in the future aswell. It seems to have the same problem with paint adhesion as the front bumper.

If only we had some damn mudflaps.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
-For Sale!

·
Super Moderator
8,869 Posts
Since Sept when I picked the car up, I've logged 8,000 miles. I have no chips on the paint, but a rock did come up and hit the right-rear window and put a 6 inch long scratch in it.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I only have 2 things on my hood that make me mad and both were from the same incident. I was passing a mini-van and a huge rock came up from underneath the van. Stupid Michigan pot holes. It was probably a inch in each direction. It hit the hood left about an eighth inch chip and then about a 6 inch scratch before it bounced up and hit my window in two spots leaving 2 missing chunks. Talk about being mad.

Oh yeah I have had my car for a little over 2 months and it has 10,500 miles on it. So I'm pretty happy with the paint so far except for all the tiny scratches everywhere.

------------------
2001 Blackout Se with PP
Custom Grilles,Painted Valve Cover,Strut Bar, and Engine Bay Accents. Stromung is on and CAI is comming soon.

[This message has been edited by Nismo_Girl_2001 (edited April 23, 2001).]

·
Registered
747 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marvin:
Only chips I have is from the body shop that repaired and painted my hood, bumper and left fender. Both have one chip, but I think this is caused by a pebble of somesort being in the paint job in the first place. It was really good looking at first, now that the pebble is gone, it's showing metal. They are really small. :(

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Consider yourself lucky~~~~~~Try literally THOUSANDS of chips on mine! :( :(

------------------
2001 Black Sentra SE with Performance Package, JWT pop cone intake, clear turn signal bulbs, razo carbon pedals, neon cable interior kit :eek:) CUSTOM grille

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yeah Hokemon, it's still really annoying to see three chips that are completely to bare metal... :(

------------------
Marvin, aka Original Mr Sentra
2000 Nissan Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 spd, Avalanche
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake
"Hey guys, drive safe and no accidents!"

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have about 16,000 miles on my car and a whole lot of chips. Nissan really needs to put a thicker coat of paint and clear coat. Esp living in Hawaii I go to the beach alot and the salt air, dust and all of that is really making my car look like crap. My paint is so bad I'm thinking about re-painting my car.

------------------
B-15 SE, 17X7 Kosei Racing Senekas, Sumitomo HTRZ2. Kaizo Speed Gear

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had this problem but decided to go ricey and got a hood deflector. It ruins the look of the car now but at least the stop chips have stopped considerably. I don't care about the bumper since it's plastic.

·
Registered
347 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DizzyJack:
I had this problem but decided to go ricey and got a hood deflector. It ruins the look of the car now but at least the stop chips have stopped considerably. I don't care about the bumper since it's plastic.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

think i should invest in one of those :-( I have a few chips showing metal.

------------------
Sentra IRC server @ sentra.mine.nu port 6667

Car:
2001 Sentra Blackout GXE

Horepower mods:
Tinting +1hp chrome Wheel covers +5hp
Custom Front Plates +1hp
Still badged -7hp

www.virtualdesk.net
buy my software so i can buy more mods!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
They do the job well. I got the one from Nissan (higher quality than aftermarket) but it's almost a permanent installation. You have to stick these plastic bumpers on the hood and use these clamps which looks like they'll scratch the paint if you remove them. Anyways, they're better than those black bras which you have to remove from rain.

·
Registered
747 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maxximtl:
My Car has 5,000 miles on it and is 4 months old.

I have several rock chips on various spots on the hood currently. My front bumper is being repainted as we speak. Because the paint job was so bad, there were MANY (probably around 40) sizeable rock chips across the bumper. It was really noticeable on my car because the bumper material is black, and my car is white. My bumper looked like a Dalmation! :D

The sides of my car are still doing remarkably well. There aren't that many rock chips yet. The leading edge of the sideskirt (just behind the front wheel) is completely trashed though. In addition, the rear bumper is trashed just behind the rear wheels.

I am NOT impressed with the paint quality on the car. My front bumper has already been repainted on a 4 month old car. I suspect that the rear bumper will have to be repainted in the future aswell. It seems to have the same problem with paint adhesion as the front bumper.

If only we had some damn mudflaps.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can't believe you don't have any paint chips on the sides of your car!!! Mine looks like caked gray mud there are so ridiculously many!!! :(

------------------

1 - 20 of 30 Posts