B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Road racing success in the Spec V.***PICS added***

This weekend was my first time out to a track event and the car was excellent. I went to Virginia International Raceway on the North Course with NASA HPDE.

I was in group 1 since it was my first time, but the Spec V loves the road course! I had no idea my car could hold such lines and walk down so many more expensive, higher hp cars. For those of you that have lost faith in your car, then please do a track event! You will fall in love with it all over again. Even my instructor, who drives a B13 SE-R was surprised! Auto-x has defeinetly helped me find my lines and I even got to go solo for the last session and i was told I did very well for a first timer. I need to work being smoother with my inputs and heel-toeing better.

Not once did I encounter under-steer and the car was very neutral with the back end getting loose just once when I went into fourth gear too hard going downhill through the s-turns at 80 mph! It was scarry but it quickly caught traction again. Even the brakes didn't let me down and I was only running ATE fluid and Hawk HPS pads, that's it! No brake fade at all, even after going from 120 down to 40.

Here's a list of those that got passed by a little Sentra on the straights:

E36 M3
E46 M3
SRT-4 (lapped him) :)
Audi TT
Mustang GT
Pontiac Trans AM "Fire Hawk" ???
Spec V
CRX SI
Porsche 944 Targa
Spec Miata
GTI VR6
Shelby Cobra (Formula Ford)

We were only allowed to pass on the straight's so because I was carring much more speed through the turns I was able to easily pass them. Even though the E46 and the Trans Am would catch back up an the end of the straight, I would put them further back once the turns started.

I got passed by a freind of mine with a NSX who has been to some other track events, and the Trans Am passed me on the first lap, but then I passed him back in the end. :)

Pics coming soon! Here's a layout of the track, I was on the North course:
http://www.virclub.com/track_info/track_layout.html

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here were my settings for those interested, since I really had no idea how to set up my car:

Front:

35 PSI in 215/45 Falken Azenis
0 toe, -1.5 camber
Koni set to 3/4 stiff

Rear:

33 PSI
0 toe
Koni's at 3/4 stiff
Nismo sway bar set at 1/4 stiff

Top speed reached on the straight was 125 and through turns 9 and 12 up to 85 over a blind hill.

Engine mods are below and my instructor who has driven a stock spec on the same track couldn't believe my top end pull in 4th! He said he has changed his mind entirely on Spec V's so I converted a SR20 guy! On a side note when I was playing around with my friend in his NSX I was on his tail all the way until 5th gear, then he pulled like crazy! I was catching him on the sweepers though, and had too brake a few times because I was getting close.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Was your instructor Matt?

Remember just because your passed those drivers doesn't mean the cars are slow. In the hands of a more experienced driver you will find you are easily humbled. Sounds like you had a good time though and keep going out to the events you will get hooked.

·
122 Hours Of Fear
13,552 Posts
Good job . :) While the autocross programs in Ohio have fizzled...:rolleyes: Mid-Ohio & Nelson Ledges provide the same racing experience you described in Virginia . I plan on driving a friend's 93' B13 SE-R that's modded to hell , Mike Kojima-style :D , in late August . I can't wait . :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it was!!! I got so lucky with him as my instructor

Trust me I know, I didn't pass those cars but, the drivers in them. It makes me feel even better though that I passed them with better lines than a faster car.

I just want people to realize some of the potential our cars have, and I know I wasn't close to mine. Mine's not the fastest car in a straight line but harrasing a M3 through the turn's is much more rewarding.

·
200,000?
1,448 Posts
:D sounds like a blast. i was anticipating on doing a Track day at Pocono Raceway this month but after having the accident I think I'll have to pass. It's a great deal though. $195 for a full day of track time. The guys that went last year got over 80 miles of track in and ended up getting more gas outside the track because they went low. :)

congrats on getting in touch with your car. may you have many more days like it.

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Bode btw, I will be out at Nelson this month with a bunch of my se-r friends. Friday fun days are only like $120 for a full day of track time. There is no instruction so to speak but as long as you take it easy you can learn pretty quickly what is the right and wrong lines.

·
Registered
421 Posts
David, you are going there with the Ohio Nissan guys? I was trying to get up there for the August 20th day, but I am on vacation the beginning of that week and can't take Friday off too. Ugh! I was just at Nelson the Friday before the 4th and had a blast. The track has been mostly repaved and is a lot nicer then it was before.

Axcelerate, welcome to the club! I was hooked on AutoX for a few years, but then started doing track events. Yes they are a lot more money and yes they wear items go quickly, but it is so much more fun.....

Dan

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
Silver_Slug said:
David, you are going there with the Ohio Nissan guys? I was trying to get up there for the August 20th day,
Actually there is probably more of us coming from PA/NY/NJ then local guys. ;)

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Damn, good thread. Congrats on your first road racing experience and thanks for sharing all that information. I think it's pretty impressive what you did against the other drivers. I'm also glad to see that the konis and gc in particular allowed you to slice through those corners, it only further convinces me to have Steve Foltz shorten my konis next year.

At this point my car needs to continue as a daily driver and the occasional autox since I'll be hitching a ride in Tony's Si. Eventually though, once the SE-R is paid off and I find a pickup truck or something, I will start to prep it for east coast NASA SE-R Cup, hopefully it will be more established by then.

·
122 Hours Of Fear
13,552 Posts
david said:
Bode btw, I will be out at Nelson this month with a bunch of my se-r friends. Friday fun days are only like $120 for a full day of track time. There is no instruction so to speak but as long as you take it easy you can learn pretty quickly what is the right and wrong lines.

Yeah , mid to late August I'll be there . Have you ever been on that track yet ?

·
Fogey
4,298 Posts
nope never been to Nelson Ledges. Most of the other guys have and have a lot more driving experience so if you want some pointers about lines just ask one of them to ride along and they will help you out.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Nelson is a pretty simple course. I found a video of a few laps on the track in a Z06. The video is a little old, so the track is in much better shape then it appears. I put the video on my site here .

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Great Pics!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Awesome. I refuse to go to that kind of event. My addictive personality+my lack of budgeting skills=testicle removal by my better half. lol

WTF is up with the tape on the lights?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tony I said:
Awesome. I refuse to go to that kind of event. My addictive personality+my lack of budgeting skills=testicle removal by my better half. lol

WTF is up with the tape on the lights?
You have to tape them up because a lot of rocks get thrown from some of the cars with R-compunds and they don't want the broken peices to get on the track. The rest of it was just to protect some of my cheap paint.

·
Immature Tough Guy
5,671 Posts
Tony I said:
Patience young padwan. I may need you to pilot my SE-R in NASA competition in a couple of years...mostly because you know Rula would rip out my cahones if I started racing wheel2wheel...

BTW those are some incredible pics. Now you'll always have something to remember that weekend.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts