B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every so often, ill push the shifter over when trying to go to 6th, and it will let me into the reverse gate, and I will grind reverse. Anyone else have this problem? It really pisses me off.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I did that a few times when I first got the car. Going from 4th to 6th was a little tricky and I almost tried to put it in reverse once or twice.

Sometimes the reverse gate feels stiff and other times it feels like there is nothing there. Oh well.

Dan

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
There is not reverse lockout on the Spec tranny, aor any Sentra tranny to my knowledge.

You just have to be really careful with your tranny since overdrive (6th Gear) is right next to reverse). Us 5 Speed people don't have to worry that much, unless for some reason we thing we have a 6 speed one day and pop it into reverse.

BTW: If you do let the clutch all the way out when the car is in reverse and you are trying to hit 6th, bye bye tranny.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I havent let it all the way out, pretty much the first sound of grinding scares the **** out of me and I push that thing back in.

Oh yeah, and Nissan is STUPID for not having a reverse lockout.

But I still love this thing! :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
cburwell said:

BTW: If you do let the clutch all the way out when the car is in reverse and you are trying to hit 6th, bye bye tranny.
HMMMMM I have not heard of this happening to anyone yet.
I remember somone saying they put it into reverse instead of sixth and the engine redlined, but they had no visible damage.

·
Registered
447 Posts
There is not reverse lockout on the Spec tranny
Bad termonology. There is a spring loaded gate that is there to deter you from going into reverse unless you really want to, and this is what, I was refering to and believe what the original question was refering to.

It is not a true "lock out" but it is there to serve the same purpose. Just a little cheaper to make this way!

Dan

·
///N Power
787 Posts
Nissan NOT Bright with six speed

If they were bright about it, they would have put it right up to the left of first gear like most eurocars. Reason being, is that when you're stopped and in first, if you accidentally throw it in R, then that would not hurt the engine... and you always start in first, which is an easy shift.... but flying through the gears and then hitting reverse after fith gear instead of sixth is more probable since its right there when you're probably shifting faster than you would in first.

jw

·
Registered
582 Posts
Can't say I've ever come close to shifting reverse instead of 6th. I know you have to hold the shifter a little to the right then straight down for 6th (Its not the easiest to find) but if you're hitting reverse you need to learn how to drive.

·
Registered
142 Posts
perFOURmance said:
Can't say I've ever come close to shifting reverse instead of 6th. I know you have to hold the shifter a little to the right then straight down for 6th (Its not the easiest to find) but if you're hitting reverse you need to learn how to drive.
Wow, that was productive.

I'm fairly certain I know how to drive, but after learning to drive stick on a 5 speed, 6th was a little tricky when I first got my Spec... because of the 'little to the right' thing, yes, I almost hit reverse a couple of times. I think once your hand learns the pattern it won't be a problem. Make sense?

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
Silver_Slug said:
Bad termonology. There is a spring loaded gate that is there to deter you from going into reverse unless you really want to, and this is what, I was refering to and believe what the original question was refering to.

It is not a true "lock out" but it is there to serve the same purpose. Just a little cheaper to make this way!

Dan
I misunderstood then. I was thinking along the lines of what a prosche has. With their trnnies you can't even get into the reverse gate while you're moving forward.

·
Registered
582 Posts
YellowBlur said:
Wow, that was productive.

I'm fairly certain I know how to drive, but after learning to drive stick on a 5 speed, 6th was a little tricky when I first got my Spec... because of the 'little to the right' thing, yes, I almost hit reverse a couple of times. I think once your hand learns the pattern it won't be a problem. Make sense?
My point is to find reverse while shifting 5 to 6 you have to be pushing more than "a little to the right". Hey, maybe mine is different (or I know how to drive) but you really have to go way right to find reverse.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey dude calm down, sometimes it doesnt even take force for it to slip into the reverse gate, it just glides in.

And I never have a problem from going from 5 to 6, its always from like 4 to 6th and so on.

I just wish Nissan made it IMPOSSIBLE to shift into reverse like that.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My point is to find reverse while shifting 5 to 6 you have to be pushing more than "a little to the right
My experience has been when going from 4th to 6th after getting on the highway. You would have to really try to put it in reverse on the 5-6 shift, so I imagine the people have accidently done it were doing something similar to me.

Learn to drive.... That is funny! Too bad we can't all have a 4 page bio for people to read about what we do in our spare time so they see how crazy blind comments can be.

Dan

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'm really surprised to hear this about the spec. My SE will not even let me in first unless I'm practically stopped AND am rev-matching with the pedal. I can't comment on the reverse thing b/c if I am accidently hitting R with a 5spd I've got issues :) But judging by how they have the sychro's and gates working for our 1st gear I would say the spec SHOULD have something similar.

Jason

·
Registered
96 Posts
back to the subject at hand..............the maxima does have a reverse lock out..can we have that installed in the spec?????????
if so i will be first to get one

1 - 19 of 19 Posts