B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK gang, here goes yet another log onto this topic. I ran a very brief precis by him on our rather lively debate. He is familiar with the Dinan article and feels that there could be an issue at around 8000 RPM with the inline six. He did re-state that the pulleys would be just fine on our cars. They would definitely help with water pump cavitation at extended RPM usages.

He also mentioned that a couple of cars he knows about have over 2000 road racing miles on them without effect, and his own car has had them for nearly all of its current life.

I'll ask him how many miles are on his car and will post.

As for myself, I'm going to stick those babies on.

------------------
Waiting for PR CAI, got the Stromung, got the Unorthodox, got a big fat empty "0" in my bank...:)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
deffinetly was thinking about the conversion.....

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

·
Registered
259 Posts
guess i'm just a wussy, but i'm staying away from the pullies. i've spoke to some users and they were not impressed. some felt it was almost a waste of money. you could get the same hp/tq increase by advancing your timing, according to the #'s. (2-3hp)

but hey, if you guys want em, go for it and enjoy! :cool:

------------------
MY PAGE
WAIT! USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION

·
Registered
104 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2000SE:
guess i'm just a wussy, but i'm staying away from the pullies. i've spoke to some users and they were not impressed. some felt it was almost a waste of money. you could get the same hp/tq increase by advancing your timing, according to the #'s. (2-3hp)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking of not advancing my timing, just so I don't have to spend the money of running higher octane fuel. Not sure of what I'm going to do in the end though....

------------------
Marvin, aka Original Mr Sentra
2000 Nissan Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 spd, Avalanche
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I agree, you could get the same amount of increase by upping the timing. But I'm thinking about doing all the tricks people have been using so far: increase the timing, Stromung exhaust, pulleys, PRI CAI. This ought give me a little more punch (I'm guessing 8-12 HP at the wheels) and distinguish my car from the ONE other SE I've seen in my area! Nah, mostly because I can, I want to tinker around with my ride. My only planned external mods are rims/tires, I'm going for the sleeper mode!

------------------
Waiting for PR CAI, got the Stromung, got the Unorthodox, got a big fat empty "0" in my bank...:)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2000SE:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I see your point and I agree with your point but I look at it this way also your gonna spend about $200 to $250 for the pulley's but now just imagine how much you're gonna spend on gas once you advance your timing on the gas......

Plus you can do both advance the timing and get the pulley's for the extra added horse power,,,,Right????

------------------

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung Cat-Back,Place Racing CAI,and Painted Calipers & Rotors
***My Website***
**Car Pictures**

G

·
A guy in my local car club bought Unorthadox pullies for his DSM car. He had to take them off because he couldn't get the belts to stop slipping with them installed. I don't know if they were anodized incorrectly or what, but he wasn't impressed with them at all.

------------------
2001 SE, P/P, 5 spd. Cloud White.
-For Sale!

·
Registered
297 Posts
well maybe if he would have gotten the correct serpentine 4cog belts for them that would not have happened, I suggest if you buy the 4-pulley set, to buy from Stillen and get both the set and the belts fromt them. The actual amount of power dyno proven by the pulleys is between 6-8hp on almost stock cars and aroun 8-12hp on modded cars(turbo, etc). The people that have done this have been very happy with the added performance and all the other benefits like(engine running cooler, lowers water temp by 20 degrees celsius or something like that). :)

------------------
formerly known as JCGator42, 2k1 Nissan Sentra SE w/PP mods: Custom Aluminum Mesh Front Grille by Myself, Cold Air Intake by Hotshot, and Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust, and Unorthodox Underdrive 4 pulley set(in less than 2 weeks) [email protected]

·
Not your parent(s)
3,291 Posts
my #'s came from se-r.net and numerous dyno runs. i think i'll trust those #'s more.

------------------
the moderator formerly known as 2000SE
MY SITE

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got another answer from Mike K., his (non-b15) ride has over 30,000 miles with what he thinks 600 dyno pulls and lots of hard running. I guess that answers the durability question for me since I have no intention of running 600 dyno pulls and pretty keep the hard running to occasional bursts around town, plus the occasional track day every couple of months.

I hadn't heard of the belts slipping. I'll keep an ear out for that phenomenon and let everyone know if the pulleys are a major PITA. Although, DarkSide hasn't said anything about that, and he's the one who's had them on the longest. Heck, he might be the only one with them on at this forum!

At the very least, I will ensure that the timing is at 13 degrees so as to maximize my stock level of tune. Living in California, super U gas is already over $2.00 per, and it's only going to get higher... I can't afford to run the timing too high.

------------------

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
i say its a good buy, ive driven to LA twice since ive had them, i also drive 50 miles to work everyday for months and not one problem EVER.

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*
(Searching for a Honda EF or 240sx Coupe)

·
Registered
104 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry:
At the very least, I will ensure that the timing is at 13 degrees so as to maximize my stock level of tune. Living in California, super U gas is already over $2.00 per, and it's only going to get higher... I can't afford to run the timing too high.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Holy....gas is pretty high in Cali, thank god I'm not there right now! Being in VA, it's about $1.60 on the average for 92-93 octane. Advancing the timing seems far away for me at the rate of the gas prices shooting up for the spring/summer.

------------------
Current Mods: Gas Cap Holder, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust System, Place Racing Cold Air Intake

·
Registered
149 Posts
thats pretty muuch why i havent done my timing yet, in SD its 1.88 for the cheap stuff(87) and by summer its should go up to around 2.25(87)
Those slowass hyrbid cars are looking good right about now.

------------------
*Josh*
*myb15*

·
Registered
104 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jo$H:
thats pretty muuch why i havent done my timing yet, in SD its 1.88 for the cheap stuff(87) and by summer its should go up to around 2.25(87)
Those slowass hyrbid cars are looking good right about now.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn Josh, I was stationed out there about almost two years ago, and gas wasn't that friggin high, probably a dollar-fifty for 87! Ahh....gas is just going to go up and up...

------------------

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, that's why I'm in no great hurry for cams, ECU, basically anything that may negatively alter the mileage. I'm sticking to boltons and keeping the right foot light. Everytime I think about lightin' 'em up at the onramp, I check my fillup log and decide it's all good to let that punk take off.

I'm hoping that the bolton mods will not adversely affect mileage. Any feedback on this?

------------------

·
Registered
104 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry:
I'm hoping that the bolton mods will not adversely affect mileage. Any feedback on this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With my mods, I'm getting from 26-30 mpg. I think that's pretty good, what do you think Larry? :)

------------------

·
Registered
0 Posts
An advice...stay away from pulley...I mean it's a nice mod..but WHY? Spend that money and get somethign else better..like a lighten flywheel or something....makes your car rev faster

Jeff-

------------------
-00 GSR **TOP SECRET**

MODS? Too much to list!

-90 CRX w/ B16 swap and many goodies **Project Beater**

-98 Civic ---super beater

·
I am a mother****er
675 Posts
Corporal, that is a sweet as Teg! I see you're a Honda fanatic. Just curious, what brought you to this bb? Sorry this is off the topic.later

------------------
Avalanche 2000 Sentra SE/PP, JWT POP, Advanced Timing @ 17 deg.,205/50ZR16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730s, Stromung midpipe.

·
Registered
446 Posts
is anybody else running rich? As in there is excessive black soot (unburned gas) on the exhaust pipes? I'm not sure what kind of mileage I am getting I think around 22 mpg. I do punch it a lot tho.

-iLL

------------------
2001 Sentra SE w/ Performance Package-Place Racing CAI- Stromung Full Cat-back- Custom Grille-Pioneer DEHP 7300 + 4x TS-1675's-
[email protected] mph

·
Registered
124 Posts
I love my Pulleys. I've got the UR 2 set. Haven't had a problem yet.

------------------
Ryan 97 Black SE-R
Custom 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with dynomax super turbo muffler, Hotshot Cold Air Intake, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys (2set), Nis-knacks clear corners, timing at 19 degrees, Hotshot header(installing this week)
aim Stea1th727

1 - 20 of 33 Posts