B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed tires this weekend to Kumho Ecsta 712-Size 205/50/16 on Stock rims. Impressions:

1. Not the greatest looking tire but not bad either, and way better then Firestones. They are sporty looking but not Super low or blocked.

2. Ride a little rougher on sharp edge bumps but basically the same but with better road feel.

3. Way better overall grip and they dont roll over at all compared to Firestones.

4. Transient(Left-Right) at speed still point out the weekness of the rear suspension, but is much improved compared to Firestones. You can feel the suspension working in the weak handling transient response but now it feels like the suspension is working, rather then the tires squirming under you.

5. "Better Steering Feel" Probably the most obvious thing about the tire change. That little dead area when going straight that made it a little hard to hold it straight on the highway is gone. I really wasn't expecting the tires to change the steering at all but this is a great surprise. Makes steering feel a little heavier and really feels good.

Just some info for all those looking to keep stockers and replace with a good affordable tire.

Anyone got any new info when there may be struts for these things, I got a set of pro-kits waiting...,IMPATIENTLY.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Those tires fit on without any problems? That's good to know.

Sounds like the Kumho's are a heck of a buy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is a 205/55/16 size available? I'd want that size to keep my speedometer exact. Assuming of course, that the 55 series tires don't rub the fenders.

·
Registered
250 Posts
That does it. I'm getting rid of the stock Tombstone Firehawks on my SE and replacing them with something better this week.

Thanks for the post.

DL

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
205/50/16 is probably closer in diameter then 205/55/16 to stock. I didn't want the speedo off either thats why I went with the 205/50/16!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
According to http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html, the 205/50 is more accurate than 205/55 when compared to 195/55. You must remember that 205/50 will make the speedo report a higher speed than than the actual car speed, and the car already reports faster than it really is travelling. (All cars do this). I have timed mine about 3-5mph too fast @ 60. The 205/50's will add 1-2 mph to the error, the 205/55's will make the speedo more accurate.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'm going for that move today too!!!!

No more Firestone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts