B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the remote start out of my old car and I want to install it in me SE but The istalation charge is $230.00 I only spent $199.00 for the remote start! I just want to know what others spent on instalation?
I got that quote from 6th ave electronics in West Paterson NJ.

------------------
2001 Se PP (auto) Sorry
No mods YET!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
when I bought my remote starter i paid a total of $200 for it...thats 149.99 for starter and free installation plus i had to buy a bypass for it which ran about $49.99... which you'll have to do as well....The bypass is needed cause of the fact that our keys have chips inside of them and the remote starters won't pick it up unless you have that bypass installed,,,which permanetly holds a key in between the remote starter and ignition system...Iused the valet key that Nissan gave me with the car....

------------------

CAR:
Black 2k SE Performance/package

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1428062&a=10696175

[This message has been edited by Sentra Styling (edited February 09, 2001).]

M

·
0 Posts
So it defeats the system entirely? Doesn't that kinda bother you? It would make the car that much easier for someone to steal.

------------------
2001 SE
P/P, 5 spd.
Cloud White

MODS:
------
- Stromung Stainless Cat-back. (On The Way!!)
- Hotshot CAI (At The Coaters.)

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
That's what I was thinking. So, since you bypassed it, does it make it possible for you to go make a copy of the key at any key place and start the car without that chip?

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Future mods:pR CAI, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maxximtl:
So it defeats the system entirely? Doesn't that kinda bother you? It would make the car that much easier for someone to steal.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>not at all it still operates totaly the same shuts off when brake is hit and when hood is opened also any power eguipment is turned on like inside lights....doesn't effect anything at all and it allows me to keep the alarm still active as well

------------------

CAR:

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

*CLICK HERE FOR MY CAR PICS*

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hey, I'd like to know if they really make a remote starter for manual transmissions. Do they? And who?

------------------
"ya nahmean?"
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Remote starts are not legal for stick shifts for obvious reasions(what if you leave the car in gear)

There are some alarms out there that can learn the code in your encoded key and then a key does not have to be put by the ignition system, you can also remove the chip from the key and just place the chip by the ignition system.

------------------
FocalJet.com
TEAM Mid-Atlantic

I Love Nissans
Drive a focus

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
chino it's been done a friend of mine has done it but you gotta find someone who will do it cause of the fact that most manuals nowadays come with a child proof starter which you have to press the clutch in before the car will start you have to bypass that...i'm not even sure how he did it but all i know that is was done........

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Original Mr Sentra:
That's what I was thinking. So, since you bypassed it, does it make it possible for you to go make a copy of the key at any key place and start the car without that chip?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
you can't just use the key you need that chip....and a friend of mine has a 99 Nissan Frontier p/u and it has a key that looks close to ours and he lost one key and went to the dealer to replace it and it cost him around $75.00 for it....OUCH!!!!

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Yeah, thanks SentraSty.

------------------
"ya nahmean?"
------------------
2k1 Sentra SE w/PP
Granite & Manual Trans.
20% Tinted Windows
Alpine CDA-7965 Unit
PPI PC6600 Amp
Cust. Built Box w/
3 JL 10w3 Subs
Cust. Short Shifter

Waamm!
[email protected]

·
Registered Loser
6,883 Posts
Oh, I had thought since you had bypassed the security feature for the starting part, you wouldn't need that key anymore. Anyway, that sounds good, everything still works and you have a remote start! Not bad.

------------------
Marvin
-2000 Sentra SE w/Performance Package, Sunroof, 5 Spd, Avalanche
Future mods:pR CAI, Stromung Cat-Back Exhaust System
-Previous Owner 1995 Sentra GXE, w/mods, Auto, Maroon

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did some learning about this.

Most systems that use the bypass only employ it during remote starts, so the rest of the time the immobilizer is in use. The only time the immobilizer is "bypassed" is when the remote starter is running. (15 minutes every 2 hours in the cold)

As for the manual remote starter, there are a handful of models. The ones that detect the position of your gearshift being in neutral I would never trust. Someone mentioned a clutch inter-lock switch. Well that unfortunately would have to be bypassed for remote start.

The manual transmission remote starts I would trust use a method where you have to start the car, engage the "remote start mode", then take out your key. The car stays running even with the key out. When you are out of the vehicle you finish engaging the remote start. That way the system can be assured that the car is really in neutral since there is no way for you to leave the car running and get out and lock the doors unless it truly is in neutral.

The concern of someone busting your window while the car has been started remotely is supposedly covered by a system which detects the use of the brake or RPM's exceed 3000 or the speed exceed 2 MPH. If any of these are detected then it shuts off the Immobilizer bypass circuit. The thief would not have a chipped key so the car shuts down.

The only concern I have is that the security system is shut down while the car is remote started. So someone would be very tempted to bust your window and either take your stuff or try driving away. Either instance is not desirable! And since the car is sitting there running and tempting, that is the time you'd MOST want the security system enabled...

------------------
2001 Sentra SE+PP 5 speed Canadian model

·
Registered
35 Posts
PS - Starter and the various bypasses and installs for Immobilizer and manual put the price at $500-$800 Canadian and I would have a goofy remote instead of the nice Nissan one...

------------------
2001 Sentra SE+PP 5 speed Canadian model

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
very well ssid neild

------------------

CAR:

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
I do not trust anything that can start my car without me being in the car.

BTW, the keyless entry fob (for those with it) will lock/arm the car even if the key is in the ignition, and the car is running.

Personally, when it's cold out, I'll go out, start the car, turn the heat on, then seperate the keyless entry fob from my keychain (I bought a quick-release keychain for this), leave the car and use the fob to lock the doors. This also arms the alarm. Allow the car to warm up, then come back and use the fob to unarm/unlock the car.

------------------
2000 SE w/ PP auto in Heatwave

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
just to let others know this which i forgot to mention is that when my car is started with the remote starter my car alarm is still activated,,,tried it out when i first got it installed i left the window open and remotley started the car turned on the alarm and opened my door...and horn started blowing, headlights blinking and car shut off.....

------------------

CAR:

MODS:
17x7 Konig-Caffeine's ,Stillen front spoiler and pop-cone intake,Aluminum dash kit,Remote starter,35% Tint,Aluminum Pedal Kit,APC Super white headlights and fogs and front and rear turn signals,Ventshade-ventvisors,Custom Front Grille,Stromung cat-back(in the mail)......

·
Registered
28 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sentra Styling:
just to let others know this which i forgot to mention is that when my car is started with the remote starter my car alarm is still activated,,,tried it out when i first got it installed i left the window open and remotley started the car turned on the alarm and opened my door...and horn started blowing, headlights blinking and car shut off.....

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RIGHT, but your "immobilizer" isn't working!

------------------
2001 SE Auto PP Radium
Someboday Slap Me Pleaseee - For not getting a Manual Transmission

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SentraMan:

RIGHT, but your "immobilizer" isn't working!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
RIGHT but it's not like you can just jump in the car and drive it away,,,,you seem to have miss-understood me a bit when you open the doors the interior light goes on boom car stops,,,,ok hood is opened car stops,,,press the brake which you have to to switch it into gear boom the car stops,,,and when the car is shut down the immobilizer is then re-activated....I already looked into this trust me on this......

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
so how much did all this cost again?

------------------
2000 Nissan Sentra SE - HP RacingMotorsport Coilovers - Razo Carbonfiber Pedals - Razo titanium shift knob - Razo Shift Light - Nology Hotwires - Hotshot header and CAI on the way!!!

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SDsr20de858:
so how much did all this cost again?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I paid around $200 for it installed....

------------------

CAR:

MODS:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts