B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so as some of you know....my spec-v decided to spin a bearing somewhere along the line a couple days ago. After much deliberation and thinking I'm gonna give it another shot. Considering purchasing a completely reman block for $2500....yes I love this car, and yes I HATE this engine. My question to all of you is IF I get a fresh or good condition QR25DE and do basic things such as: header to remove pre-cat, remove the butterfly system entirely (because f*ck failures), put a cold air intake on it, and a decent high flow muffler/standard catalytic converter on it. Will it be reliable enough to get high miles out of. Mine had 180K on it before it started to go berserk. Mind you that seems like a LOT but I come from the venerable 4.0L Jeep inline 6 which are notorious for hitting upwards of 350K without anything aside from basic maintenance. Basically what else am I looking at to make this thing reliable enough to drive a while and not worry. I have a relative low amount into the car already and managed to work out all the other bugs it has. I REALLY just need to know I can depend on this thing when I need it. I love the interior, the suspension, the brakes are fantastic, transmission is like glass, rims have no curb rash, radiator core support has been replaced before me due to a minor fender bender. all joints bearings and seals are working GREAT (aside from the rack and pinion leak) I like the car well enough to make it nice and take care of it....like it enough to buy a rusted pile of crap to drive in the wintry salt conditions and keep the Nissan warm in a garage somewhere. Just don't want to have to redo an engine every 200K because well that sucks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any car is going to be reliable if you take care of it. Cars are incredibly complex machines so unfortunately even giving a car TLC you're still prone to failures down the road (heh, car pun).

You may get another block and make it well past 200k miles, I've seen people who neglected their car make it many more miles than someone else who did. Ultimately it falls under what kind of budget you have and if you're willing to possibly take on a project like that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well see ive got this as my backup/toy:

if you dont know this is equipped with the legendary 4.0L straight six. this is the lowest mileage version of the 4 ive had over the years, and it rolls in at 150500 today. the first one i ever owned was a beat to snot neglected 1992 with 300,000 still ran like a top until the day i wrecked it. (head on collision with a tree and broke the crank shaft) this motor and transmission combo are notoriously known to last upwards of 300K and on average 200K with just routine maintenance. i come from a long heritage of fixing bodywork and never really caring about oil changes or anything majorly mechanical going wrong.

basically no matter what i do the QR25DE will always be junk and i should just sell the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts