B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Jersey Sentra
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to make an appointment with my dealer to have the recall item (as well as an oil change) taken care of. My dealer says they need the car on a weekday. They have rentals available for $25 for the day. I don't think I should have to pay for this, since the recall is THEIR fault. Why should I have to pay for a rental? Shouldn't they be giving me this for free?

Anyone else tried to get the recall fixed yet? What were your dealer experiences?

--*Rob

·
Registered
20 Posts
RECALL

LOOK AT THIS INFO:

Recall Alert: NISSAN SENTRA
Owner Notification Date: 6/5/2001
Number of Units Potentially Affected: 80,000
Component Description: SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT CONTROL ARM:LOWER
NHTSA Campaign Number: 01V174000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description of Recall Campaign:
Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles.

***One or more of the three bolts used to attach each front suspension lower control arm to the body on the left
and right sides may not have been properly manufactured.***

The bolts could fracture, increasing the risk of a crash.

Dealers will replace the lower control arm attachment bolts.
Owner notification is expected to begin by the end of June 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive -- THE FREE REMEDY -- within a reasonable time should contact Nissan at 1-800-647-7261. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

We Don't have to pay anything because is the fault of Nissan.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My were change along with an oil change for under 15 minutes. I waited there gawking at the receptionist. No need to rent a car.

·
Jersey Sentra
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I called the dealer back and what they said was that even though it's a recall, they can't pay for a rental car for every Sentra thatthey have to do this to. I asked them what they could do for me. They managed to find a Saturday when one of the techs who could do the job would be there. They told me that Saturday is mainly "Oil & lube" job day, but they picked the one Saturday a month the other tech is there. Pretty lame if you ask me. The good thing is I won't have to get a rental. I actually have like 3 free rentals from the dealer I bought the car from, so I want to save those for bigger jobs down the road.....

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
Rental? The recall operation shouldn't take that long, should it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
As a suggestion....

Don't take no stinkin' rental car....

Get them to lend you out a Maxima for the weekend!!! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
where do I find recall info?

Two things:

Where can I find recall info on my 2001 SE? I've looked at alldata/superpages/consumer reports, but they all have reports ending in 1998. nissandriven.com only has stuff listed for earlier models, as well. Is there a mailing list or website?

Firehawk GTAs

I see old posts that the Firehawk GTAs had been recalled. I was so scared of them after the first week with my SE that I went right out and bought some Dunlops & rims (nother $1k on the price of the car :( ). I remember skidding loudly out into a busy six-corner intersection in Chicago, not even having stopped that hard. You could just feel it was the tires, it was like being on skates or something.

So if the old tires are recalled, do I just get stiffed if I "recalled" them myself? I just gave the tires (with like 500 miles on them) to the installer in lieu of a fee for putting the new tires on.

Bortie

P.S. The new ones are great -- SP Sport 5000s, they're all weather & $96/pop at tirerack.com. You need to buy rims b/c they're 16x7 -- correct .40 offset with Mille Miglia Spyders, and they look cool, although not flashy. The last thing I want to have happen is to have my wheels stolen... They're spectacular actually. They hold the road during any weather better than any other tire I've used.

·
Jersey Sentra
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go to:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recall_links.html

And Click on the search link and search for 2001 Sentra. The recall will come up. Here is the text of it:

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 01V174000
Component: SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT CONTROL ARM:LOWER
Manufacturer: NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC
Potential Number of Units Affected: 80000

Year: 2001
Make: NISSAN
Model: SENTRA
Manufactured From: JUL 2000 To: APR 2001
Year of Recall: '01
Type of Report: Vehicle
Summary:

Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. One or more of the three bolts used to attach each front suspension lower control arm to the body on the left and right sides may not have been properly manufactured.

The bolts could fracture, increasing the risk of a crash.

Dealers will replace the lower control arm attachment bolts. Owner notification is expected to begin by the end of June 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Nissan at 1-800-647-7261. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
383 Posts
When did the Firehawk GTA's get recalled? Can someone please elaborate on this topic, I haven't heard anything about the tires...Just the suspension recall

·
Registered
331 Posts
Tires recalled were for Altimas, in a different size, not our SEs. Too bad, I would have like mine to be replaced too...

Sucks to be us...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tires Recall

Don't Worry! The tire Recall is for the 2001 Altima. The tires recalled are the Firestone Firehawk GTA-02 , size P205/55R16 89H .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts