B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 180w setup with the pillar tweeters. I am replacing head unit romorrow with a Mosfet powered Pioneer, and I have a good set of 3-way Blaus, 6.5" speakers. I am also putting a 12" sub and sony amp.

Should I put the 6.5's up front in the doors, or drop them in the rear deck (easier)?
If they go in the doors, do I basically have the blau tweeters AND the pillar tweeters working? Any chance of music sounding too bright?

Many Thanks - all opinions welcome!

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
If you bought a wiring harness so the Pioneer works with the factory harness, I'd say you'll have the tweeters working also. Might be too bright, but it will sound bad. disconnect them if you can. It will smear the front soundstage across the whole front of the car. PUT THE NEW MIDS IN THE DOORS UP FRONT !!! You want the sound to come from in front of you(just like at a concert, right?). The front speakers should do 90% of the work- the rears are just for reinforcement. Sounds like you know this, and are just trying to talk yourself out of some work. Make a wooden baffle for them if you have to , so they fit, and the window still rolls down. Make sure you use some sound deadening material, too. The trunk will rattle you crazy if not. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
6.5 speakers

I would respectfully disagree. The rear speakers are notoriously bad and distort at almost any volume. A lot of people have found the front speakers adequate. If you make all the changes you describe, you will still hear a nasty distortion from the stock rear speakers. They are low powered 1 way paper cones.

Here's something easy to try - just patch the Blaupunkt 6.5's in place of the stock rears. Don't disassemble anything, just wire them in and see if you can tell what I mean. Then go the full route of installing them.

After you've done this and put your new HU and sub in, then listen to it all and see if you still think the front speakers need changing. You might be surprised.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If the stock fronts are better than the rears, put the front speakers in the back and put the new speakers in the front! A solution to both problems, as long as the speakers are the same sizes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
front speakers

Not a bad idea except I think the fronts are a bit special in that they hook in with the pillar tweets and also have a weird ring around the cones that acts as a spacer. That ring might get in the way in the rear and also the rears are actually 6.75" and I'm not sure if the fronts might be 6.5"? I haven't changed the fronts myself, just speculating...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is a Pioneer DEH2100. Last years model, but I picked it up for $170 Canadian ($100US ?).

Things I like about it: the Mosfet amp built in 4 x 45, the detachable face, and the backlighting is white - which should match my SE titanium gauges nicely. I'm hoping the SuperTunerIII will be much MUCH better than the stock system reception.

Only 1 pair of RCA's, but for me that's fine as I am powering the front and rear with deck and using a 2 channel amp for the sub(s).
Besides:
Married + Kids + Mortgage = No further audio toys!!!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
head unit

Hey that's the exact same deck I bought. My plans were the same, use deck power and amp the sub.

I opted to keep the stock player though since I didn't want to butcher the dash up. Also I thought I'd wear the stock one out first and maybe by then a Mini-Disc head unit or similar new technology might be more available here in Canada. I ended up giving the 2100 to my girlfriend. I have no idea how it sounds even since we always take my car. Let me know how it turns out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts