B15 Sentra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
2001 Sentra SE, PP, radio with CD Standard. Owned since 10/00.

Radio is getting static on AM. Distant and not so distant channels
I hear clicking / loud static. Comes and goes, especially going over
bumps while at high speed, not as much at low speed. Static most but
not all the time is engine rpm type noise (goes up and down with rpm).
Periodic, comes and goes like loose wire.

Dealer said antenna was loose - no use. Current direction is to
replace radio (dealer has ordered new and reman one to install -
taking very long to get it though).

Question - Does this sound like radio problem? Or power supply to
radio? Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Please don't
tell me to listen to FM only, I paid for AM too!!

Thanks for any help or perspective.

G

·
AM??? Oohhhh....Ancient Modulation. hehe. :D

Several people have had problems with the stock headunit. Mine broke on the first day I owned the car. :( Radio reception, both in FM and AM seems to be sub-par. People have tried different antenna's with some luck. I believe the problem is in the headunit itself. If you can get the dealer to replace it, go that route. It could very well be that your problems will be solved.

The Engine noise is a little strange though. That is usually a power supply interference problem. The fact that it doesn't do it all the time suggests taht it might be something else though.

BTW, Welcome to the board! :D Glad to see another B15'er posting.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Intermittent static, that varies with engine speed, would lead
me to suspect a bad ground somewhere. Could be inside, or
outside the head unit.

Just my .02

Good luck with the new head unit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Happens to me only on certain days, always on the over cast and rainy days . I can hear the static follow the rhythm of the windshield wipers. Only occurs on am radio stations. Strangely enough I believe it has something to do with atmospheric conditions. Never have any problems on bright days.In my case is not the stock head unit,changed it, had a kenwood eXcelon installed. Adios Amigos

·
Bow to your SE GOD
4,702 Posts
Mmmmmm. Ground-loop gremlins! Check the ground, and even try a new one, on clean, unpainted metal. Try various points until you find one that works. The bigger and thicker the metal (of the ground point), the better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All, thanks for the responses. Currently waiting for Nissan NA to investigate as the dealer is being a pain in the arse.

Ground? Where would I check that? Is it different for the radio versus the car in general? Is there a way to check via a meter of some sort or are you thinking just a visual check?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts