B15 Sentra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I paid $89 for a radiator flush! Come on. Can i do just as good by draining the radiator myself fill with water, run it, drain again and refill? I've heard i need to burp the system, what the hell does that mean?

·
Registered
307 Posts
No you don't have to BURP the system, what I did was exactly what you said.

1. Drain all the fluid.

2. Refill with about 90/10 Water to Coolent.

3. Drive around awhile

4. Redo steps 1 thru 3 until you are satisfied it all clean(I did it about 3 times and drove around 30 miles each tiime)

5. Refill with 70/30 mixture(I live in florida so i can get away with less coolant) Add a half bottle of WaterWetter and your good for 50,000 miles.

Tom

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that seems easy. I've done it many of times with my other vehicles but i was told that when you do an SR20DE you will get air bubbles in its coolant system and you will screw the engine up. You gotta jack the front of the car up and open a plug somewhere on the block. Thats why i said f-it and let Nissan do it. I'll do the crap myself in another 20k miles. Thanks!

·
Al, The Ignorant Fcuk
9,081 Posts
hs thompson said:
Well that seems easy. I've done it many of times with my other vehicles but i was told that when you do an SR20DE you will get air bubbles in its coolant system and you will screw the engine up. You gotta jack the front of the car up and open a plug somewhere on the block. Thats why i said f-it and let Nissan do it. I'll do the crap myself in another 20k miles. Thanks!
Make sure for the flushes that you use distilled water. It's less than a buck for a gallon at grocery store. You will find that once you drive and let it cool you will need to add about a quart of water (after it cools). I would still run more than a 30% solution because of corrosion and/or water pump lubrication. Not saying its necessary-that's just me. Then again I had a heater core go bad - so what do I know :(

So as far as the "burping"- just check the radiator a couple of times and refill. Just dont go say more than 20 miles or so untill you have done this-even with the flush. I have refilled a number of times and can tell you jacking up the car and doing what you were discussing isn't necessary.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Oh Yeah, good point Distilled Water definetly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts